Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

Angry Road rage when towing

I have many years and miles of towing experience but usually with a tow vehicle that has been rated way higher than needed for what I was towing so I was abe to keep up or maybe a little over speed limit. Now I am looking at purchasing a Hummingbird with loaded up weight around 3300 lbs and towing it with a 4400 lb rated Audi Q5 so I will stay under 6o or 65. Have you all had any problems with car or truck drivers that get mad when you are going slow. Don’t want people passing real close or cutting me off because of road rage. And please don’t make this post about my Audi not being a decent tow vehicle unless you have actual experience with it or something close.
B RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Site Team

We've never had anyone get road rage toward us, and we run at 60 to 62 mph on interstates, where our speed limit is posted at 65. Even in PA, where we hit some posted at 70, they just blow by, or wait their turn and go around us. No horns, to fingers, or disgusted looks....yet.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #3

I always stay in the right lane unless I need to get in the left for turning.
If they want to get mad at me, that's fine, because I will never see them again anyway.
I have not had anyone cut me off, but I have had people get in front of me while merging on the highway doing slower speed then I was doing. I keep enough space between me and the vehicle in front of me.

I don't need to tell you all of this with your experience, but I am just reinforcing the idea that not ALL people will be mad at RVer's in the left lane doing the speed limit or close to the speed limit.

If I am ever in a single lane road and I see I have many vehicles behind me, I will move over when I can to let them pass me, then continue on my travels.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

Perhaps not exactly what you're asking, we're experiencing a few incidences of poor road psychology from some drivers. Not towing, but in a motorhome, still you're often slower, and sometimes faster than surrounding traffic.

On the slow side, we're finding people are WAY TOO anxious to make sure they're out in front of us. So much so that they fly out of side-streets right in front of us to insure that they won't be "stuck" behind.

The other thing is that we often pass semi's on the road who were contented to do 58 MPH until we pass them, at which time they'll speed up to 85 to get in front, and slow back down to 58. It hasn't been hill related, which I would understand, but seems ego driven, which I don't.

Not too much real road rage, though.
New TN Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #5

I stick to 60-63 mph and the right lane on freeways here in California where the speed limit is typically 65 or 70. No real problem but I am generally passed by most, including other RVers and some semis. When we were in Montana recently, the speed limit was 80 in some places and no one seemed upset (that I could tell). They just zip right around. Not even a one-finger salute
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #6

I tow at 60 MPH and haven't had problems with road rage.

On a different note, we have a smaller trailer and when making reservations I always tell them our trailer is larger than it really is.
My experience is they cram you in a really small site when you tell them you have a smaller trailer.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

I've really only had it happen once.

On some of the back roads in TX, there are no passing lanes. Just 2 lanes and a thin shoulder. Speed limits on these roads are typically between 70-75; I drive average of 65. Even if there are no passing LANES, there are often passing ZONES. On many of these roads, passing without a dedicated lane is pretty simple, you just wait until you have a long enough line of sight to execute a safe pass and you're good.

I was cruising down the road one day minding my own business toodling along at around 65. Some guy passed me aggressively and as he got in front of me, he was giving me quite the variety of hand signals. I literally couldn't have cared less. The only person whose blood pressure he was elevating was his own.

You see, some people think that since I'm a slower vehicle I should move on to the shoulder to let them pass. Whole lotta nope right there. The shoulder is where ALL the road debris is; tire scraps, bolts, broken car parts, dead animals, you name it. It's also variable in width, and generally not entirely stable. For those reasons I will not, under any circumstances (except emergency), drive on the shoulder. Sorry, you'll just have to wait for a passing lane or zone. The most you'll get from me is for me to "hug" the right side of the lane to give you a better line of sight.

Other than that, it's been the standard fare of people thinking that gap I leave in front of me is for them to occupy. I'm seriously considering getting a dash cam. Generally in the state of TX, you will be found "at fault" if you rear-end someone regardless of your account of their stupidity. You'll be written a ticket for "failure to control speed" or some other such nonsense, and it will be YOUR insurance paying out claims because some jack wagon pulled in front of you (and thus occupied and eliminated your safety buffer) and then slammed on the brakes.

I've gotten to where I just shake my head and slow down. Every now and again I've had to use my horn to let someone know they just did something dumb.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #8

I travel 57-60 from the Canadian Boarder to Santa Barbara twice a year with side trips all along the way and it’s extremely rare that I encounter a problem. Now driving around or near San Francisco is another story ( just stay away ) if you can.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #9

I've towed all over the place except out east. I tow at 62/63. I have never encountered issues with other drivers, even on highways where the speed limit was 75.

Many states limit the speed of trucks and vehicles with trailers, which I think should be the case in all states. It's safer and allows you to know whats' coming and have some time to react.

Also your trailer tires are most likely rated for 65 max anyway. Relax and enjoy your trips.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I travel 57-60 from the Canadian Boarder to Santa Barbara twice a year with side trips all along the way and it’s extremely rare that I encounter a problem. Now driving around or near San Francisco is another story ( just stay away ) if you can.
You are brave! I hate driving through the Bay Area even in a car. Not ready to take a TT!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
You are brave! I hate driving through the Bay Area even in a car. Not ready to take a TT!
Speaking of SF, I drove there once in a rental car. When we were on Alcatraz Island, the tour guide introducing the facility asked who was taking public transit? Only a few people raised their hands. Then he said he highly recommended not driving in SF. Wish someone would have told us that before we left SFO!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #12

I will openly admit that I get a little "upset" when the slow driver is in the left lane and there are 2 other lanes in which to be in. If you're not passing or turning stay in the right lane if you are moving slower than traffic.
When I am towing I am usually in the middle of that pack as far as speed, but I still move back right after passing. Don't hate me as I came clean. I try to be calm... all I am saying

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #13

One of the worst are the drivers entering the freeway expecting you to slow down to let them in. I'm already on the highway. It's their responsibility (and it's the law) to adjust their speed to merge in with the flow of traffic. I will move over if and when I can but I don't slow down just so they can get in front of me. A few times, however, I've had to brake and lay on the horn. I'm not so stubborn as to let some obliviot run into me :-) I wonder how some of these people pass a driving test.

2019 Jayco Precept Prestige 36H
GAD36H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #14

On freeways I try to maintain 55-60 and stay to the right as much as possible. For two lane roads I try to hold the posted and if I'm developing a convoy will try to pull over where safe and let them by. I haven't had any real "road rage" problems other than an occasional idiot trying to pass me at an on ramp or a rare 18 cutting back to the right with inches to spare.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #15

I've towed all over the US and Canada and never encountered anything like 'road rage' while towing. Yes, most folks don't want to be behind a RV and will pass when they can.

When towing, I'm usually in the right lane and going slower than almost everyone else; going slower means there's ample room to pull in ahead of me and I expect folks to pass. I've never had anyone jam on their brakes after pulling ahead of me, but I'm on 'high alert' when someone is maneuvering in front or along side of me and I'm ready to brake if I need to.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #16

I just got from trip towing from Dallas, TX to panhandle of Florida and back. I averaged about 65 MPH and I only had maybe 2 folks cut me off. I don't think they were mad at me for anything...they were just stupid drivers that have no idea how long it takes to get the extra mass stopped. Go get a dash camera & you should be good to go if you are worried about stupid drivers. I have one....luckily I haven't needed to turn over any footage to the police or insurance...YET! Get out there and enjoy!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #17

I have been the subject of crazy driving and road rage many times as I bicycle the local country roads. Yelled at to "get off the road", cut off and sent into an emergency stop, forced off the road by someone trying to pass in a double yellow when there is oncoming traffic.

I can't get off the road as there is often only soft gravel for a couple of feet and then a ditch.

Based on this experience I have never experienced that kind of road rage and idiocy while towing at less than posted speed.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #18

Stay out of the left lane(s) and you should be fine. I tow at 68 mph max. Some highways we tow are 70 mph roadways, so 68 is far too slow for the left lane. Never a problem if we stay in our lane.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #19
Site Team

I saw a big MH today with a sign on the back ladder that said:

Actually, I do have all day!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #20

When not towing, about all that raises my hackles is following an RVer on a two lane road where is is posted that if you are holding up 5 vehicles or more, you are required to use the turnouts to let them pass and they don't. And, they are usually tourists looking at the scenery or Lord knows what, oblivious to the cars they are holding up, illegally.

And yes, I will use the turnout, even if holding up one or two vehicles and/or exceeding the speed limit. Better to let them be in front of me instead of them making an unsafe pass up the road.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote