Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
When not towing, about all that raises my hackles is following an RVer on a two lane road where is is posted that if you are holding up 5 vehicles or more, you are required to use the turnouts to let them pass and they don't. And, they are usually tourists looking at the scenery or Lord knows what, oblivious to the cars they are holding up, illegally.

And yes, I will use the turnout, even if holding up one or two vehicles and/or exceeding the speed limit. Better to let them be in front of me instead of them making an unsafe pass up the road.

Murff
I, too, am sensitive to even a few cars behind me on two-lane highways, and always happy to use the turnouts. But it really chaps my hide when they aren’t close enough to get by me when I pull over, forcing me to either soldier on or, worst case, have to come to a stop in the turnout. They are usually short, meaning some hard braking. Last trip over the mountains, the guy behind me was in no hurry to get past me, but the cars stacking behind him were. Not a great situation.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I have been the subject of crazy driving and road rage many times as I bicycle the local country roads. Yelled at to "get off the road", cut off and sent into an emergency stop, forced off the road by someone trying to pass in a double yellow when there is oncoming traffic.

I can't get off the road as there is often only soft gravel for a couple of feet and then a ditch.
Yes I used to ride bike on the streets until I almost got hit by a lady on her cell phone. Maybe that’s why I started this thread, now I worry to much about the other guy.
B RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #23
Site Team

I started driving commercially in 1991. Many many miles since then. The most common thing that occurs when driving a truck or when towing an RV, are the people that feel the need to pass you just before an exit and then slam on the brakes to take the ramp. For some reason they think that for that instant the driver is somehow going to be able to save them if things go bad.

Other than that, I've never had an issue towing in that 62-65 mph range.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #24

I have never experienced some one with actual "road rage," I have had people pull out in front of us so they do not have to follow us. Those are the ones that tend to go under the speed limit and slow me down.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #25

I too hover at the 60-65 range, only have had a few people cut me off on the locals 45mph or under.

I've also noticed that depending on the website, towing a trailer in most states is 55/65MPH or the speed posted for cars. I'd check the actual state for requirements.

However, I know there is a safety factor built in, but have you ever read the fine print on your tires, most trailer tires are only rated for max speed of 65mph.If the deem or have proof you were exceeding that, they can tag you with exceeding the manufacturers recommendations, just like over weighting, you might get away with it, but if an accident happens, today's society is looking to put the blame somewhere else (and yes I have a drive cam for idiots)
Old 07-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #26
Site Team

An then there's the classic!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:20 AM   #27

No road rage experiences but we’ve noticed that folks do NOT want to be behind a TT and will sometimes do things (stupid) to avoid being behind.
Could be they’re late for the dentist appointment or something.
I cruise at 65 or a few mph below the posted limit, whichever is lower.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:44 AM   #28

I tow my fifth wheel in New York. No need to elaborate

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:14 AM   #29
Site Team

When towing the cruise control is set to 62 on the interstates where 99% of my towing takes place. I normally drive the center lane, which gives me the option of going right or left should a situation arrive.

When on the Florida interstate system there are posted signs that say "Slower traffic keep right". It is enforced, and most of the victims of this enforcement are older drivers. Even if you are doing 70 in the left lane and cars are passing you on the right, you will be ticketed. I have to admit since they put those signs up there are very few drivers between Clearwater and the Georgia border that are driving slow in the left lane. Yes there are a few that can not read or don't care. I would place my betting dollar on the last item.

As for the speed that RV's travel, not sure if it is related, but there are so many more RV's with blow-outs on the sides of the interstate. Not sure if it is tire mfr issues, over-loaded TT's or driving over the rated tire speeds.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by B RAD View Post
Yes I used to ride bike on the streets until I almost got hit by a lady on her cell phone. Maybe that’s why I started this thread, now I worry to much about the other guy.

sorry.. what no broom? Speeding riding a cell phone must be hard!

You made my morning.. thanks!

Seriously here in Maine you have to leave three feet between you and the cyclist you are passing.. Not all do however.. I was towing home when a gaggle of cyclists decided to turn left without looking from the right lane ( and they weren't single file either). Locking up the trailer and car brakes and getting fingers from the cyclists was not my idea of fun.

Alaska has the five behind you pull over rule.. Any other states? Hard to do in Maine as there usually is no shoulder at all.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #31

I’ve never noticed it directed toward me, but I’ve had thoughts myself toward other morons....I mean motorists.
Someone riding my bumper in a line of cars then flying around me and squeezing into my buffer zone. They’ve gained no time as we are all still stuck in the same line of cars.
Someone flying around me on a two lane road only to get stuck trying to turn left a half a mile down and causing me to stop completely waiting for them.
The two semis going way too slow pacing each other blocking both lanes of a highway for miles and miles with dozens of cars backed up behind them. Are they in the worlds slowest drag race? Is this “trucker courtship” and I’m witnessing a rarely displayed mating call? Either way....annoyingly rude.

I’ve had to calm myself and just relax and as I get older I can shake my head and rid myself of the desire to unload with a roof mounted Vulcan mini-gun Mad Max style.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
The two semis going way too slow pacing each other blocking both lanes of a highway for miles and miles with dozens of cars backed up behind them. Are they in the worlds slowest drag race? Is this “trucker courtship” and I’m witnessing a rarely displayed mating call? Either way....annoyingly rude.
We not-so-fondly call those “turtle races.”
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #33

But don't get in their way. They'll ride on your bumper close enough to read the part number.

2019 Jayco Precept Prestige 36H
GAD36H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #34

The road rage is when I'M the one passing THEM because they cant go even 5 under the speed limit, yet they give ME the hello finger. People are dumb. I love the ones, previously posted, that pass you and get up the road a half mile and stand on the brakes, no blinker, to make a left turn. I had one asshat do just that and fortunately there was a go around lane on the right. The passenger had their hand out the window and I never let up. I went slinging by them at 50mph and have never seen an arm move so fast into the cab of a vehicle. Ok, it wasn't that tight of a squeeze that I hugged their vehicle a little close, but it was funny. Until people drive rigs like we all have, they'll never understand.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #35

We just drove from NW pa to Southern NJ this past week towing our trailer. I tow on interstates at 60-63 mph, generally stay int he right lane unless passing someone. I use turn signals and brakes and make sure they are workign before every trip.

On this most recent trip I had to panic hit the brakes when a tractor trailer truck pulled into my lane when he was only halfway past us. I had brake hard at each construction site because some idiot wanted to be in front of us so he could follow the semi in front of me and waited until the last minute to do so before entering a construction zone. I had cars pass me to get off at the exit we were already passing by. In stop and go traffic I had countless cars pull into the extra space I leave because of my increased braking distance, because they thought my lane was going faster than theirs. I had people honk at me because I pulled into the left lane using turn signals to give clearance to emergency vehicles on the road shoulder (It is the law in most states). Oh and on secondary roads you wouldn't believe how many people pull out in front of you and then go 15 mph for the first 1,000 feet before looking in the mirror and realizing they pulled out in front of someone and then speed up.

Sometimes I wish I drove a tank.....
Old 07-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #36

I leave extra space between myself the vehicle in front as well. Of course, like you say, the obliviots seem to abhor a vacuum :-) It seems like I'm getting nowhere fast because each time I open the gap again and each time some doofus fills it in... which wouldn't be so bad if they maintained speed.

2019 Jayco Precept Prestige 36H
GAD36H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:13 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
The road rage is when I'M the one passing THEM because they cant go even 5 under the speed limit, yet they give ME the hello finger. People are dumb. I love the ones, previously posted, that pass you and get up the road a half mile and stand on the brakes, no blinker, to make a left turn. I had one asshat do just that and fortunately there was a go around lane on the right. The passenger had their hand out the window and I never let up. I went slinging by them at 50mph and have never seen an arm move so fast into the cab of a vehicle. Ok, it wasn't that tight of a squeeze that I hugged their vehicle a little close, but it was funny. Until people drive rigs like we all have, they'll never understand.
I'm the one that posted it earlier. After I had posted it, of course it would happen again.

We pulled from PA to NC yesterday. A couple in a BMW X5 passed me on the left and then proceeded to pull in front to make a right turn off the exit. They maybe gave me 5' off my front bumper when they cut across and slammed the brakes. Of course I got the one finger salute when I slammed on the brakes and laid on the horn. I love it, they mess up and we get the finger. Got to love people.

We have another 350+ miles ahead of us today. Let's hope that is the only time we have that happen on this trip.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:35 AM   #38
Site Team

Moderator note: Any more talk of guns and shooting out tires and this thread will be on the ash heap of others that went south!

Not tolerated on JOF!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #39

I have been towing RVs now for 17 years. First was a 35' TT and now a 42' FW. I typically drive between 60 and 65 MPH. I find that is the sweet spot for best fuel mileage and a nice pace for towing a long rig with lots of weight to stop. I have had the same experience as most with people filling in the safe distance space I try to leave between me and vehicle in front of me. I do feel I get a little more respect from the truck drivers since I started towing the FW. One thing I like to do when towing is finding a fellow RVer on the road and falling in line with them. We will often trade the lead position to give each other the benefit of the draft. There is feeling of comfort knowing the person behind or in front of you has experience towing an RV. In those cases, we give and are given a friendly honk and wave when one of us reaches or exit of the highway. If it happens we are going to the same place, well we have made a camping friend for the trip.

Stay safe! Both camping and traveling!

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #40

Not really road rage. But I was merging onto I-5 south bound, doing the speed limit 60 mph down on ramp,, i could see and old car coming up from probably 500 yards behind me south bound I-5,, they sped up to probably 100 mph, then when they were next to me slowed down to pace me so i couldn't merge from on ramp, there were no other cars in any of the 3 lanes of I-5, and traffic was very light. i stayed in emergency lane very calmly, and looked over, it was a car full of teenagers laughing. playing games.. i slowed down to 40 mph till they got bored and spend off. I remained calm the whole time, and just went about my day. not going to let some delinquents ruin my day.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote