Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by B RAD View Post
Have you all had any problems with car or truck drivers that get mad when you are going slow. .
I've not towned with your set up, but like you said, I don't think this is a brand issue. I like to tow about 65mph. On the highway I get passed constantly. There will always be a jerk somewhere, but in general nobody really wants to hassle a slow vehicle in the right lane. They just want to drive fast.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #62

I'm seriously adding this sign to the back of my TT.

You may want me to go faster but I KNOW WHERE THE COPS HIDE!!!

Suggested by a friend who's a retire cop and has that on his rig. He said it does slow down some of the Indy 500 drivers doing high speed testing on the Interstates.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #63

I love the people around Baltimore. You are trying to merge onto the Highway aka I 695 The Beltway as you are coming onto the ramp some Jackwagon thinks its his personal passing lane they come over cutting you off to get 4-6 cars ahead
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #64

Yep. In the big cities, within two miles or so, you can be in three different lanes without ever changing lanes.

2019 Jayco Precept Prestige 36H
GAD36H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #65

I live inner city, and am use to driving on busy interstates. Out in the rural areas I sit in the far right lane. In town with multiple lanes, I usually site in the second lane from the right. As the far right lane has a lot of acceleration changes with all the merging.

I have not experienced any true road rage. I have found that collage age girls around here are very impatient and do not like it when I change lanes to be in font of them. I also find these same ladies, do not like it when I drive my slow Model T on the local roads. They appear to be in a big hurry.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #66

We just had an incident while returning to Washington from Idaho. Two lanes, speed limit 70 / trucks 60. We were in the right lane doing 65 mph with cruise control on. A semi came up on us and was so close to our trailer that I could only see his side mirrors. He then pulled into the left lane and began passing, but when he was about half way passed us he slowed to our speed. After a while it was evident that he was playing games with the intention of blocking me in when we came to the next slow moving semi. I wanted no part of this jerk so I accelerated to 80 mph and did not slow down until we were a half mile or more ahead of him. He soon reappeared on my bumper and again moved into the fast lane holding a position next to me. Fortunately we soon came to a mandatory truck weigh station were he was forced to pull off the freeway. While passing him, he looked at us laughing and waving hand gestures. I have been pulling a TT for 20 years now and never experienced anything like this. Flash back to 1971 movie Duel with Dennis Weaver. I'm going to contact both the truck company and WA State Patrol.
Building Inspector & Navy Vet.
F250dieseldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #67

Brian, truckers aren't trained like they were years ago. They were courteous and generally helped out on the road, helping passing by flashing lights, that sort of thing. Don't see a lot of that anymore. I always flash my lights when a truck passed to let him know it's safe to pull back to the right. I used to get thanked a lot by a flash of tail lights. In the past 5 years I think it's only been a couple of times I was thanked. My dad was an over the road trucker. Even owned his own short hauler for a while. He is appalled at the way many of these guys drive now.

Reporting it to the state patrol probably will amount to nothing. But reporting it to the trucking company might carry some weight.

JAGiven, the college age and 20 something young ladies around my parts are the ones that sit in the left lane doing 10 mph under the speed limit because they are texting. A lot of the young men to for that matter.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250dieseldad View Post
We just had an incident while returning to Washington from Idaho. Two lanes, speed limit 70 / trucks 60. We were in the right lane doing 65 mph with cruise control on. A semi came up on us and was so close to our trailer that I could only see his side mirrors. He then pulled into the left lane and began passing, but when he was about half way passed us he slowed to our speed. After a while it was evident that he was playing games with the intention of blocking me in when we came to the next slow moving semi. I wanted no part of this jerk so I accelerated to 80 mph and did not slow down until we were a half mile or more ahead of him. He soon reappeared on my bumper and again moved into the fast lane holding a position next to me. Fortunately we soon came to a mandatory truck weigh station were he was forced to pull off the freeway. While passing him, he looked at us laughing and waving hand gestures. I have been pulling a TT for 20 years now and never experienced anything like this. Flash back to 1971 movie Duel with Dennis Weaver. I'm going to contact both the truck company and WA State Patrol.
Flash back to 1989 movie Christmas Vacation.

I've been in a couple of situations similar to yours. My response was to slow down a tad. The person in the vehicle to my left has always kept up their pace pulled on ahead. My thinking is they caught up to me so they are driving faster than I am and won't want to drive the speed I want to drive.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #69

[QUOTE=Jagiven;779964]I live inner city, and am use to driving on busy interstates. Out in the rural areas I sit in the far right lane. In town with multiple lanes, I usually site in the second lane from the right. As the far right lane has a lot of acceleration changes with all the merging.

Apparently, you have never driven I-45 through Houston :-) The first thing they do when merging is swing across all lanes to get to the left lane.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250dieseldad View Post
I will slow down and keep slowing down. Eventually, they realize they are only hurting themselves and pass me. They are in a much bigger hurry than I.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #71

I tow a Hummingbird with a Pacifica at 65 mph and have not had any problems, just keep in the right lane and it should not be a problem
sinnott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:59 AM   #72

My spare tire cover says "Back Off". I try to keep up with traffic but sometimes you just can't. My major complaint, like someone mentioned, is traffic entering the highway. I don't know what they expect, but I don't slow down and lose my momentum. I will get in the left lane if it is safe to do so to let them on.
Mik e
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #73

road speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I stick to 60-63 mph and the right lane on freeways here in California where the speed limit is typically 65 or 70. No real problem but I am generally passed by most, including other RVers and some semis. When we were in Montana recently, the speed limit was 80 in some places and no one seemed upset (that I could tell). They just zip right around. Not even a one-finger salute
We live in S Calif. and speed and idiot drivers are at an all time high and getting worse. They cut in front so close at times that it is scary, another reason why we have a dash cam.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #74
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
..............snip...............when I drive my slow Model T on the local roads. They appear to be in a big hurry.
We had a picture of this Model T and trailer last month up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. He was spending the night at an overlook after climbing the mountain at under 10 mph. He was pulling a pickup truck bed made into a camper and was having a grand old time.

He said he could not drive in fog so he stopped for the night. After this breakin trip, he was headed to the Rockies so look out!
Attached Thumbnails
D47436AF-D331-4C27-8704-32D755A74E63.jpg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #75

Driving distracted is not a new thing. Years ago, coming home for work, while getting off I12 to merge onto I59, a lady in a small car would not change lanes to let me merge. No traffic in any of the other lanes. Since I was in my F250, I had a good view into her car. She had a paperback book spread open on her steering wheel. Must have been a really good book!

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt74 View Post
Driving distracted is not a new thing. Years ago, coming home for work, while getting off I12 to merge onto I59, a lady in a small car would not change lanes to let me merge. No traffic in any of the other lanes. Since I was in my F250, I had a good view into her car. She had a paperback book spread open on her steering wheel. Must have been a really good book!
It clearly wasn’t the motor vehicle code book.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #77

Quote:
I hate to say it, but I have seen this a few times.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I hate to say it, but I have seen this a few times.

Back when I drove trucks, I could see into cars very well, I have even seen people changing clothes while driving down the highway. (Yes, including skirts, nylons and pants).

Friend of mine that drove tour busses told me a story about a guy that would change from a suite and tie to his hockey uniform on the drive from work to the rink!

AMAZING.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #79
Site Team

I used to climb telephone poles a lifetime ago. I have seen it all! Even had a firearm pulled on me once while up a pole with hooks on.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #80

Quote:
She is not supposed to “let” you merge... reading a book has nothing to do with it. If you are merging onto the freeway it is your responsibility to do it in a legal and safe manner.