Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #1

Roof capacity (should I walk on it to remove snow?)

I've seen a couple older posts a few years ago about this but nothing new and I'm wondering peoples opinion.

Should I be walking on the roof to remove the snow? It's a pain in the arse to attempt to climb a ladder and reach to get all the snow off and much easier to walk on top (carefully) and shovel (carefully...again).

I have a 2012 Jayco JayFeather x213. Stored outside, not covered.
BioMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #2

Mine is covered and if the snow is over a couple of feet and the weather might warm up without enough time for the melt to run off I might get on a ladder with a plastic snow rake and remove some of the snow.

I won't climb on mine when it is wet due to how slippery it can get. I also don't want to add 200+ pounds in a single point. If I thought the snow was too much then my weight would only add to the problem.

I figure that if I can stand up in one spot, 2 sq feet of space, then I would need, if 1 inch of water equals 10 inches of snow and water weighs 7.5#/gal, I would then have the following:

56 pounds of water/foot of height
3.56 feet of water to equal my weight
42 inches high of water to equal my weight
420 inches of snow or 35 feet of snow. Of course this changes as the snow gets wetter.

Since I never get that much in Michigan I always use the snow rake or a push broom from the side of the trailer to remove some when it gets over two feet on the roof.

Good luch in your decision but it never has been a problem for me.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #3

If you want to remove it get a plastic roof snow rake like this. Keeps you off the roof, better for your health.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...2/product.html
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #4

Wish I had some good advise for you, but I don't have experience with snow.
Name:  in-the-snow-smile.gif
Views: 207
Size:  4.0 KB

Of course, if it did snow down here I wouldn't be worried. The trailer is parked under a metal cover when not in use.

If you do climb on the roof for snow removal, be very careful. If the snow have been on there for some time, there may be a thin ice pack under the snow. You can slip and fall. "NOT GOOD".

Don't let the snow accumulate too high. Try to remove it often. One thing to do is to place a few sections of thin insulation board. These boards can be slid(pulled) off with the snow. Remove the snow from the board and re-position onto the roof.
A cheap tarp, as found at Harbor Freight work well. These tarps have eyelets at the corners to attach a section of rope. They can be pulled off to remove the build-up snow, then re-positioned on the roof. Rather than using one large tarp. use a few smaller ones. Only cover the areas of open roof. Don't cover the antenna, vent caps, fridge or plumbing vents. These may get damaged while pulling the snow covered tarps.

Hope this helps,

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

Ever seen an RV dealer remove the snow from one of his new units on the lot?.. Since the unit is in storage I would just put a good front to back tilt on it and not level it from side to side... If you decide to use the snow rake be careful not to rip the frozen rubber roof.. I see more danger in that than anything else..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

No, I wouldn't walk on the roof to remove snow. Unless you get an unusual amount of snow build up I would leave well enough alone. IMO if you have to reduce the snow load do it from a ladder, and only remove the upper layer of snow don't attempt to clear to the RV roof surface.

Walking on a snow covered RV roof could result in hard pack snow/ice cracking the plastic vent covers, stink pipes, compromise caulking, etc..

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
No, I wouldn't walk on the roof to remove snow. Unless you get an unusual amount of snow build up I would leave well enough alone. IMO if you have to reduce the snow load do it from a ladder, and only remove the upper layer of snow don't attempt to clear to the RV roof surface.

Walking on a snow covered RV roof could result in hard pack snow/ice cracking the plastic vent covers, stink pipes, compromise caulking, etc..

Bob
Mine has a ADCO RV cover, I will be using a telescopic snow brush to remove the snow so that I will not have to stand on it. I have only kneeled on the roof with some foam pads down when I installed the cover and when I installed the MaxAirII vent cover on the vent over the washroom
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerncanuck View Post
Mine has a ADCO RV cover ....snip
I would have to believe that having a cover would make it a whole lot easier removing snow as you described in your post.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #9

Thanks.

I think I'll just remove a layer or so. It has about 2ft on it now with more coming and a warming trend in the next week so I wanted to decrease the load.

Painful story: just moved in the fall to a new house with a large car port that 'looked' plenty high enough to park it underneath. .... The a/c unit was just a bit too tall for it to fit and the driveway tapers to a single drive so it couldn't even be left in the driveway. Doh! Storage at a friends house it is. Hopefully this summers project will include raising the car port so it fits and this is no longer an issue next year.
BioMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #10

It says in the owners Manuel do not operate the snow blower on the roof........

sorry had to do it.........
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote