Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #1

Second A/C

Has anyone added a second A/C to a 2017 Jayco Jay feather BH25? Not very happy with the 15000BTU unit I have now. About the coolest it will get is ~75Deg when outside is in the upper 90's. The unit seems to be operating correctly, it just too hot is south Louisiana,
Beauhymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #2

This is what I got back from Jayco:

Please see attached for the print requested. A 2nd AC wasn’t an option with this model and I would advise against installing one. So the duct work wouldn’t be present to connect the new AC nor would there be wires ran. Also, the load center wouldn’t be able to handle 2 ACs. Also, this would void the warranty of your unit.

So as it stands now we may not be able to camp in the heat of the summer in south Louisiana

Old 06-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #3

I think you may be able to improve the performance of your currrent set up. I would look at blocking skylights and vents, this has helped ours. Look for other areas where extra insulation could be added to maximize your current unit. You won't equal the performance of a second unit but it should be better than where you are now.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

Any way to use a portable unit, run the vent out a window?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #5

This is with all the tricks I can find, all shades down, re-taped all seams in A/C system with foil tape. But leaving the camper all closed up with no one there for most of a day it still does not get very cool. Had a RV repair guy look at it , said it's pulling correct amps. Think my only option is replace unit on my self,(better/new unit)or a second unit. Have a rough quote of $1800 to install second unit. Going to wait and see. I need to bring it in for warrantee work and will have them check it again.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

Will be bringing it in for warrantee work, hopefully they find something wrong with the A/C. It's not useable in the heat of the summer as it is now. Last resort I will install a second A/C in the bedroom.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #7

$1800 seems pretty darn high.

It's likely not supported by Jayco because of the framing needed to support an AC unit. If you open the hole, install extra framing, and are able to pull wire (or otherwise run it), you can run it on a separate circuit outside the built-in load center in the trailer. Basically you'd have 2 plugs; the main 30A for the trailer, and a second 20A for that one AC unit. Also, it doesn't need to be another 15K unit. It could be a 13,500 or even 11,000 unit.

Being tied into the current duct work is not necessary, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just close off the vents in the area serviced by the new unit, and force the OEM unit to cover the area NOT covered by the new unit.

My point is that the difficulties Jayco mentions are not insurmountable at all. This can and has been done.

I would be careful with the warranty though, that could be a big problem.

Here's another idea: What about a dehumidifier? I grew up in SE TX, so I have an idea the humidity you're dealing with. Perhaps if you could help the AC unit dry out the air some, that would help?

FWIW, a 2nd AC unit was on the tippy top of the "to-do" list if we had kept our trailer. We had a bigger trailer than yours with a single 15K unit and it couldn't keep up in the summer. I did everything I could think of to eek out every bit of efficiency I could get out of it too. I was fortunate though in that my unit came with 2nd AC prep, so it was a simple matter of cutting the hole. The framing, wiring and duct work were all already there waiting, and we had 50A service, so the electrical system could support it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #8

A stand alone unit can be had for about $250, just have to find a way to get the duct ran out of a window I think. I am also in south Louisiana and have a 195RB with the 13,500 roof top unit. It struggles pretty bad to keep things “cool” during the day but night time it does pretty good.

I have been looking into adding a window unit since I have the spot where a factory one would instal if it didn’t have the roof top option. My brother swears by the stand alone but I haven’t seen what he did to vent it or what kind of footprint it has.
Crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #9

Some thing may not be working right. we have a 16 Eagle 321 RSTS 15000 works good if not above 90. Have 2nd unit could hang meat in the master.Will freeze you out, and real noisy! Being in Arizona don't have the humidity issues others may have.Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #10

Looked into a stand-alone and it was just to big.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #11

In a few years, I hope the new mini split heat pump units will replace the roaring rooftop units that we have today.

Mount the outdoor unit on the rear bumper... now all we need is a fan-coil unit to replace the vintage-style rooftop units of today.

If I were an RV designer, that would be the top priority on my list.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauhymel View Post
Has anyone added a second A/C to a 2017 Jayco Jay feather BH25? Not very happy with the 15000BTU unit I have now. About the coolest it will get is ~75Deg when outside is in the upper 90's. The unit seems to be operating correctly, it just too hot is south Louisiana,
If your getting a 25 degree drop, that's about as good as any AC is expected to give. We do have thermal drapes behind our shades with help tremendously for heat and cold. When in the 90's the AC will cycle on and off and keep it very comfortable at 75 or so. Heck living in Arizona we don't cool our house to 75, it's too cold with the low humidity. A dehumidifier may help also to make it feel more comfortable. But I think your expectations may be a tad high if when in the upper 90's you think 75 is too hot...JMHO.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #13

If you can get 20 degrees below the outside temp. you have done well.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #14

Had the A/C checked for a second time, same results, nothing wrong with it. The problem I have is all they did was check amp draw on the unit. The unit will freeze the condenser coils in the heat of the day and stop cooling. Seems to me it might be a little low on Freon and freezing up, but before the coils freeze it could draw the correct amps. It sucks not being able to use the camper during the summer. Is there a better unit than the what I have now? I have A Coleman MACH 15 a/c.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #15

You might want to pop over to the Class C forum where a lot of us are facing the same issue. My 2016 Greyhawk has one 15K AC unit and you will still be baked alive inside if the temps reach the mid 90's or higher.

Jayco's now offering to 11K AC units as an option for the motorhome.

A few have added a second unit, up top and had to get creative on electricity. I opted to add a portable floor standing 10K AC unit and route the exhaust out the window.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #16

Another cheapo design from Jayco thanks for info. Our son was looking at that camper. Not any more. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote