Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

Shell separation what do I DO now

Right rear corner back shell separated, can put flash light in right rear cabinet stand out side and see light. Have a 2in gap afraid The whole rear shell will open up. Used duck tape to secure and drove home. Didn’t hit anything was traveling highway in Texas, stopped to over night and found problem. Is this a normal thing? 2018 17RK Jayco Hummingbird Baja
Attached Thumbnails
93177055-088F-416F-89F3-484AB4D5FA20.jpg   CC1F3778-090C-43AB-93B5-2E89352FCDC3.jpg   32F76EFF-87DB-479D-AAF1-67C1C4996B11.jpg   DFDCA7F8-2682-43C1-8B73-6BE2DDF91F67.jpg   E83A31B6-DD3A-4776-96E3-41207183AC6F.jpg  

John Crunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #2

I would call Jayco right away because that’s a manufacturing defect. Also send email for your records
Old 10-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #3

Not all that uncommon with Hummingbirds, it seems. Several on the Hummimgbird Facebook group have had this happen, including us. I took it back to the dealer as it was still covered by the warranty. They fixed same day. Removed the inner trim on the outer cap edge and used longer screws to re secure. I think they also may have replaced the butyl tape in the area as well. Then re caulked the area
EddieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

Mine was one of the first ones to have this happen. I communicated with both Jayco and the dealer.insuring that both were in the loop. It turned out that Jayco's screws were too short and small. The dealer replaced the screws and verified that the correct ones were on the other side. They then recaulked both rear seams.

I would suggest that you contact both Jayco customer service and the dealer by email and get a quick resolution. When one responds answer, but make sure that both parties get the response. This reduces the opportunity to for one "not getting the word".

Also look up the Hummingbird Facebook page and join. Lots of good information to and friendly folks.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #5

Update on Rear shell seperation on 2018 Jayco Hummingbird. JAYCO WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY. Stated it failed because of water damage due to seals not being maintained every six months like stated in owners manual. NO where in dealer paper work to Jayco does it state there is water damage due to seals, I had asked the dealer to go over and reseal the trailer at my expense because i didn't want a roof leak in the future. Jayco customer service said she could see water damage inside cabnet(water stains) in pictures sent to them! I call BULL SH-T i saw all pictures there is none, she then switched to it is apparent in out side pictures again BULL. It all comes down to JAYCO not HONORING Warranty. Was dealing with Jennifer-supervisor in customer service.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #6

That is to bad. Someone a couple years ago had a similar issue with Jayco not wanting to cover something. They went to an independent facility and asked them to compete an inspection report. They submitted that to Jayco, and Jayco finally decided to repair the issue. This individual did document every thing very clearly and stated they stayed very calm with both the dealer and Jayco.

Maybe worth talking with the dealer, and their claims person. Get everything documented, including a note stating if there is any signs of water damage.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #7

Thanks Jim but they JAYCO will not Honor warranty, trying to lay blame on me and Dealer, said dealer put in paper work to them there was water damage which dealer paper work doesn't state that, but it did have my request to reseal trailer at my request and expense to forgo possible leaks in future. Guess i need to have signs made up that Jayco doesn't honor warranties and start and inter net campaign also. Have family near their factory so a trip up there is in the future.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

I would get on the phone and keep going up the chain of command. There have been numerous cases of this and the solution seems to be longer screws and recaulk.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

I bought this unit Oct 2017 used three times put up for winter, was flat of my back all 2018 due to injury at work and had to learn to walk again Jan & Feb 2019. Retired Apr 2019 and went out west May 2019 on retirement vacation returned Oct2019 and took trailer right in to dealer for repair(first found shell problem 12 days before i took to dealer) Sat at a family members home most of that 12 days, I didn't leave problem unattended to get worse took it in asap. JAYCO is just not Honoring Warranty.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Crunk View Post
Thanks Jim but they JAYCO will not Honor warranty, trying to lay blame on me and Dealer, said dealer put in paper work to them there was water damage which dealer paper work doesn't state that, but it did have my request to reseal trailer at my request and expense to forgo possible leaks in future. Guess i need to have signs made up that Jayco doesn't honor warranties and start and inter net campaign also. Have family near their factory so a trip up there is in the future.
Ask the dealer for a copy of the warranty request they sent to JAYCO and ask JAYCO for a copy as well.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:14 PM   #11

Shell seperation REPAIRED

Well 10-19-19 to 02-18-20 My hummingbird is repaired. Jayco tried everything to not do a warranty repair, said it was my fault claimed dealer even said water damage due to improper maintenance, Dealer fired back that my unit was very well maintained and there was NO water damage found. Hats off to Dealer for their support and they forced Jayco to repair. Shell separation due to short screws used during installation, not enough bite to secure shell, longer screws used to repair and resealed. Thanks to all for comments about this problem. looking forward to 6 or 8 months on the road this year.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:18 PM   #12

Thanks worked with Dealer they fired up Jayco, Jayco honored warranty finally
Old 02-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #13

Thanks Jim Dealer twisted Jayco's arm and they finally honored warranty. Got my Hummingbird back 2-28-20
Old 02-29-2020, 01:10 AM   #14

Awesome! Congrats!
MODS: Dual GC2 LiFePO4 System, BAL (4) Stabilizers, Hengs vent fan, Dual Propane conversion, Furrion FOSO7TASF Rear Camera, Digital Thermostat, See Level 709P3W1003 Tank Monitor System, 200w solar panels, other cool things.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote