Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Skylark 4inch lift pics.

Well after learning how easy it is to lift a skylark i had mine done, very happy! On a recommendation I went up 4 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg   6.jpg   photo(3).jpg  
Skylerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #2

Wow, that's a lift! All the way up to the nosebleed section.
Is your TV also tall? The pics look like it's real level and hitched to a Ford, 4x4 maybe?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylerker View Post
Well after learning how easy it is to lift a skylark i had mine done, very happy! On a recommendation I went up 4 inches.
Looks great! Would you provide more details as to what it requires? The low clearance is something I've always been concerned about.
Bsrtrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #4

What it entails, unbolting your axle from the trailer, box tube welded to the frame, where your axle sits, for gain in clearance, which provides the lift, and then welding the axle/box tubing to the frame of the trailer. It cost me 3 hours labor, plus whatever they charge you for the steal tubing they use, 10 -15 bucks.

Best thing I have done so far with the trailer, no more worries about the poop pipe or the spare tire or anything else getting damaged when dry camping, or even pulling in and out of gas stations...!

I pull it with a Dodge 1500, the truck does sit high, (used a drop down hitch) so trailer sits perfectly level, but I did this mod for peace of mind when hauling the trailer in and out of forestry camp sites here in BC Canada, or other free spots up in the boonies. Anyone that owns this trailer knows it sits very low compared to other trailers. I was dragging rear end entering and exiting gas stations and even almost lost my spare tire once entering a gas station, some of the hills and valleys can be extreme and with a limited space to avoid such a thing, unavoidable at times.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

I also will be going to a 15 inch tire, a little wider tread pattern, should get me half inch more of clearance as well. So this mod also clears up any issue with clearance.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

Thanks Skylerker. You addressed exactly the same concerns I've had, including the dry camping. I plan to do the lift as well.
Bsrtrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
What it entails, unbolting your axle from the trailer, box tube welded to the frame, where your axle sits, for gain in clearance, which provides the lift, and then welding the axle/box tubing to the frame of the trailer. It cost me 3 hours labor, plus whatever they charge you for the steal tubing they use, 10 -15 bucks.

Best thing I have done so far with the trailer, no more worries about the poop pipe or the spare tire or anything else getting damaged when dry camping, or even pulling in and out of gas stations...!

I pull it with a Dodge 1500, the truck does sit high, (used a drop down hitch) so trailer sits perfectly level, but I did this mod for peace of mind when hauling the trailer in and out of forestry camp sites here in BC Canada, or other free spots up in the boonies. Anyone that owns this trailer knows it sits very low compared to other trailers. I was dragging rear end entering and exiting gas stations and even almost lost my spare tire once entering a gas station, some of the hills and valleys can be extreme and with a limited space to avoid such a thing, unavoidable at times.
Can you show pictures? It is not clear exactly what you are doing.

Thanks
awindj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:21 AM   #8

Skylark lift

Hoping to see some close-ups of the 4" lift if possible! Mine is in the fab shop now, would love to hand them some pics of how others had done it! Thanks!
skykarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:11 AM   #9

Jayco Skylark

Quote:
I also will be going to a 15 inch tire, a little wider tread pattern, should get me half inch more of clearance as well. So this mod also clears up any issue with clearance.
Hi there. Saw your old post about lifting your Skylark. Bought ours Nov 2019 and had it raised 4 inch. Absolutely love the trailer as its perfect size for the two of us, and the features/quality blows away friends newer trailers .

Running stock 14 inch alloys and Good Year Endurance tires, but considering switching up to 15 inch to get the E rated tires. We too go on Forestry roads plus freeways, etc. Feel the larger E-rated tires add extra peace of mind.

Did you ever add the 15 inch??

Thank you for your time.

Cheers.

Don
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:44 PM   #10

Your post was quite sometime back but I wondered, did the camper tow differently after the lift? Did it effect your gas economy?
Zilbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilbub View Post
Your post was quite sometime back but I wondered, did the camper tow differently after the lift? Did it effect your gas economy?
The trailer tows very well. We use the Andersen hitch system and absolutely no sway. With the Skylark's V-nose the added height really made no difference to fuel economy ( we tow now with Silverado 3.0 Duramax) as the trailer is so light. Still contemplating 15 inch wheels (for 225/75 15 E rated tires) but the current Goodyear Endurance 215/75 14's are pretty beefy and have a higher load rating that the larger 205/75 15's.What we really appreciate is the added clearance and no more tail dragging entering gas stations, steep ferry ramps, etc.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:20 AM   #12

Skylark lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
The trailer tows very well. We use the Andersen hitch system and absolutely no sway. With the Skylark's V-nose the added height really made no difference to fuel economy ( we tow now with Silverado 3.0 Duramax) as the trailer is so light. Still contemplating 15 inch wheels (for 225/75 15 E rated tires) but the current Goodyear Endurance 215/75 14's are pretty beefy and have a higher load rating that the larger 205/75 15's.What we really appreciate is the added clearance and no more tail dragging entering gas stations, steep ferry ramps, etc.
I wondered if you could post some photos of the area where you added the height to the camper. I have the torsion bar suspension. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
I wondered if you could post some photos of the area where you added the height to the camper. I have the torsion bar suspension. Thank you in advance.
Hi there. The trailer is wrapped up for winter storage but I'll see if I can open up a section to shoot pictures. Back to you in a day or two. Cheers. Don.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:45 PM   #14

Thank you, Don. I appreciate it. Jon
Old 03-09-2023, 08:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Thank you, Don. I appreciate it. Jon
Hi Jon

Here are a couple of pictures. Its been 3 years since lift was done and zero issues. Hopefully pictures OK as was pretty dark with trailer being completely covered. Looks like its time for the underside of our trailer to be cleaned and repainted
Attached Thumbnails
lift.jpg   lift2.jpg  
Old 03-12-2023, 05:14 PM   #16

Thank you so much, Don. I have an appointment at a good RV shop to get this done. The photos will help a lot. Again, thank you. Jon