Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2022, 08:18 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Casselberry
Posts: 292
Slideout Jack stabilizers? Yes or no

When I was sitting in the U- shaped dinette with my 200 lb son which was in the slide out position of what one day would be our first Travel trailer, I was thinking that we just added 430 lbs of weight over this slideout.
It would appear wise to offer more support to it.
Sure enough as I am looking at necessary accessories, I see there are slide out stabilizer jacks. But there appears to be some recommendations from the manufacturers to NOT use these slideout stabilizers.
To me it seems like over the long haul it would add life to the slideout? What harm could it do?
Can anyone tell me why? Or do people still use them anyways?
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
craigav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,573
I would suggest not using any slideout stabilizers. The reason is that the slideout mechanism is designed to support the weight pushing downward and if the slideout is supported and the RV leans in that direction, then the slideout is then lifted upwards in relationship to the RV which places upward pressure on the mechanism which it isn't designed to support and could damage the slide mechanism. ~CA
__________________
2010 GreyHawk 31SS
craigav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
JDug66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 196
No

I agree what CraigAV says. Essentially if you use jack supports under the slide you create a pivot point between your gear slide mechanism and the trailer. The system is not designed with pivoting in mind. What I do to somewhat help the 'Slide Sag": during leveling I leave the slide side slightly above level so that when the slide is extended the weight of it brings the unit into perfect level. Drop the trailer stabilizer jacks and I'm set.
__________________

"If everyday is a break-even day, I'm good with that"
2020 JayFlight SLX 287 BHS, UVW 6,180 lbs
2015 RAM 1500, 8spd, 4x4, 5.7L, TowPak, 3.21 ratio, Fastway e2 2-Point Sway, AirLift 1000, GCWR 13,800lbs
1998 Coleman Redwood Pop-up (sold2020)
2000 Ford F-150 SuperCab (sold2018)
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 16,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
To me it seems like over the long haul it would add life to the slideout? What harm could it do?
Can anyone tell me why? ?
Owner's manual says "NO"...

 Additional support jacks are not needed under the slideout. Damage can
occur to your slideout room from improper use of aftermarket support
jacks.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Casselberry
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Owner's manual says "NO"...

 Additional support jacks are not needed under the slideout. Damage can
occur to your slideout room from improper use of aftermarket support
jacks.
Thank guys. This is good to know. I can scratch it off the list. My Amazon “save for later “ list is now down to 175. LOL
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: James Island, SC
Posts: 22,851
Also damage can occur if you have a flat while set up, which can happen
in-frequently but it has happened to me!
__________________
Moderator
2011- 351RLTS Eagle, MorRyde suspension/pin box,
2017- F350 6.7 PSD Lariat FX4,SRW, SB,CC
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Alberton
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
When I was sitting in the U- shaped dinette with my 200 lb son which was in the slide out position of what one day would be our first Travel trailer, I was thinking that we just added 430 lbs of weight over this slideout.
It would appear wise to offer more support to it.
Sure enough as I am looking at necessary accessories, I see there are slide out stabilizer jacks. But there appears to be some recommendations from the manufacturers to NOT use these slideout stabilizers.
To me it seems like over the long haul it would add life to the slideout? What harm could it do?
Can anyone tell me why? Or do people still use them anyways?
I use the adjustable jacks under my super slide as if I don't the TT lists up to 3/4" on that side throwing the entire rig out of level sideways. We are permanently parked at a seasonal RV camp. What I have done is placed three adjustable jacks along the frame on both sides and then one on the outboard end of each of the slide rails. These two are adjusted to "just" take the weight and not lift anything. It has worked great for us with no adverse effects., Just remember to remove them before running the slide in or you WILL damage the mechanism. I have a sticky note on the slide switch as a reminder. Cheers, CBCOCRBO
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.