Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

SLX Baja Edition TT

Re; Jayflight SLX Baja Editions
The SLX Baja Editions come in a variety of lengths and configurations. All have at least two common features, that is, a spring over axle configuration and a full undercarriage cover made of black plastic.
This is sometimes referred to as "plasti-core". I have found it necessary to remove this entire plasti-core liner due to the poor quality of the factory installation process. The installers made numerous utility knife cuts to the corrugated plastic liner during the install process when attaching the liner to the frame rails, and then sprayed expanding foam into a few but not all of the cavities and cuts.
They left literately dozens of places for Arizona desert rodents to enter the full length 3 inch "rodent hotel" space created between the plasti-core liner and other holes and openings through the floor where tank sensor wiring, propane hoses, and the 7 pin wiring harness enter to connect to the on board breaker box.
The plastic-core barrier was touted as a major selling feature for owners who wanted to use their TT baja units in "wilderness" off-road camp sites so as to prevent gravel, sticks, and tall grass from snagging wires under the TT.
If you are a SLX baja edition owner living in a desert region with desert rodents be aware that openings that were slash cut into your underfloor vapor barrier at the factory were never sealed and the plastic-core liner knife cuts are just direct entry points for pack rats, kangaroo mice, and rock squirrels to come visit the cavities and spaces of your unit. Is this a pointless rant? I don't think so! I just spent two full days removing the plastic-core liner and sealing knife cuts in the underfloor vapor barrier.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #2

Not a pointless rant at all, I echo your concerns as I found the same situation on our new Jay Flight 21QB ordered with the thermal package. When I get our TT out of storage, I will have plenty of work to do getting the openings sealed properly.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #3

X3
Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote