Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2022, 06:33 PM   #1

Solar Pkg / Factory Battery

Hi there. My Jay Feather Micro has the solar Pkg and I've gone off grid with it before. Today, I used it for the first time off-grid in a while, but it seemed something was drawing power or it wouldn't hold the charge. It would go from 13v to 10v with just the TV on. This has never happened before. Even using my JayCommand I can't extend my awning or slide, because there isn't enough power. I have always left the solar/battery on and never had this problem.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?
TBonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #2

Could be the battery is bad. Charge it and see if keeps the charge. If it does, then look for a problem in the charge system or solar system not keeping up a charge.
Also, check that the connections are all clean and free of corrosion, including fuses, especially the one on the tongue.
I went Lithium as I was tired of worrying about battery state, running out of battery. Love the Renogy app showing me what part of the 100 amps I have left and how much the solar is putting back in.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:31 PM   #3

I second checking the battery. It sounds like a classic case of a worn-out battery than will give a decent voltage (12.7-13.2v) when at rest but sees a huge drop in voltage as soon as it experiences a small load.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #4

Did this happen at night, or in the day with full sun? There is no such thing as a factory battery on one of these, all dealer installed, so we don't know what you have, but I think the most common is an Interstate deep cycle 85AH. At 10 volts you would have used the full amperes, but as the others have noted the battery may be dying, so started with less than 85. As voltage goes down, every appliance draws more amperage, so it gets progressively worse. Do you have a 12V refrigerator? I would guess not, but one of those would pull the battery to zero overnight just on its own. You have the TV, the water pump, the Jay Command itself, any lights, you name it, so without a battery monitor it is difficult to see the draw.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:58 PM   #5

Thank you for your responses. I will definitely check the battery. I did advise the dealership as well. Let's see what they say.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:02 PM   #6

This happened during the day in full sunlight. I do have a 12v fridge and it stays in "off grid" mode. The water pump wasn't in, just the TV and fridge. Obviously aside from the JayCommand.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Could be the battery is bad. Charge it and see if keeps the charge. If it does, then look for a problem in the charge system or solar system not keeping up a charge.
Also, check that the connections are all clean and free of corrosion, including fuses, especially the one on the tongue.
I went Lithium as I was tired of worrying about battery state, running out of battery. Love the Renogy app showing me what part of the 100 amps I have left and how much the solar is putting back in.
Looked into. They seem like a great deal. Which model do you have?
Old 10-07-2022, 05:26 AM   #8

Curious, what are your system's specs?-
How many watts of solar, how many AH is your battery?
How old is your battery? What type?

The following is Furrion's specs for a 10cu ft. They seem quite "optimistic" to me, as a 100 AH lead acid battery shouldn't be discharged below 50%.

Typical Runtime (Off Grid Usage, powered by 100amp/hr battery)49 hours @ 77°F (25°C)31 hours @ 90°F (32.2°C)
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #9

I bought a Renogy premium kit and 100 amp standard Lithium renogy battery with bluetooth and a roof gland.

So far very satisfied except if you have no internet or cell connection the app does not work.

Even on cloudy days or during light snow got some charge back and never ran low but do not have or use 12 volts for microwave or TV yet. Install was simple once I figured out routing of the wire and where to screw down the panels. When the app works the bluetooth battery shows exact state of charge, use or charge rates, etc.

Some other brands like Chins now have bluetooth battery state for a bit less.

If you go Renogy get a referral from a previous buyer and get an extra 7% off. I like there warranty.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:57 PM   #10

Wouldn't consider a 12v fridge with a single lead acid battery. I love mine but have two 190watt panels and two 100amp Battleborn.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:49 PM   #11

There are many variables that could impact your experience with this.

1. As many have said, the battery might just be bad and not holding a good/full charge.

2. The 12v fridge will use a decent amount of electric. If you have not recharged with a generator, it may not be enough just from solar.

3. Taking the above comment, solar on RV's is not always efficient, this is due to the lack of angles to achieve best production. It is very possible that you only had a couple hours at most of good sun. With a single 190w panel it just may not be enough. With PERFECT sun it should recharge the single battery.

4. Weather and environment, clouds, rain, or being under trees (best places to camp) will greatly reduce/impact solar production.

Some thoughts, if it was or is cold and use of the heater, the 12v will reduce even faster as that fan takes a lot more than you would think to power. As others suggested adding a Lithium battery will double your time and actually charge a bit easier than a standard battery. Some cost more than others, this gets into a "religious type" discussion (around batteries). Battleborn, Renogy, Chins, AmperTime, etc. are all good brands and various prices/features. Chins/AmpereTime are basic batteries and can cost twice what a lead acid battery cost, but they do provide twice the power as a single LA battery at half the weight. Renogy and Battleborn are about twice the cost of Chins, offer some additional features that may or may not be beneficial to you or make financial sense.

At the end of the day if the current battery tests fine then I along with others on here would strongly suggest two Lithium batteries. At the very least one. They do cost more but they will/should last much much much longer than any LA battery.

If you decide to go down that route, please post again and let us know. I also suggest doing some searches on this forum as there is already a ton on here about that subject. But any of us will be willing to help as there are some questions that should be answered first.

Good luck and hopefully its simply a bad battery!
Old 01-10-2023, 07:39 PM   #12

Hi there! Decided to circle back to this now that the TT is back with me. They said the 30amp controller needed to be replaced, however, even after getting it back. I still wasn't able to utilize the Jay command to extend/retract my slide or awning. I am not even able to use the tongue jack without having it plugged into the SUV. The service manager said that it's hard to see whether or not it's the battery, but for what I use the TT for I should try 2 6v golf cart batteries. I haven't tried replacing the battery or the 2 golf cart batteries, but I'm just so confused as to WHY I never had this problem before. I read all the posts about solar not powering the fridge or anything else, but the solar powered everything before prior to having been taken in for repair. I'll keep you posted on what I find out, but I may just contact Jayco directly.
Old 01-10-2023, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Curious, what are your system's specs?-
How many watts of solar, how many AH is your battery?
How old is your battery? What type?

The following is Furrion's specs for a 10cu ft. They seem quite "optimistic" to me, as a 100 AH lead acid battery shouldn't be discharged below 50%.

Typical Runtime (Off Grid Usage, powered by 100amp/hr battery)49 hours @ 77°F (25°C)31 hours @ 90°F (32.2°C)
190w panels 30amp controller
See manufacturer listing attached
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220411-181711.jpg  
Old 01-10-2023, 09:19 PM   #14

I had something similar once and it was the battery disconnect switch that is in the pass through. Have you tried flipping that off and then back on again, making sure it’s turned all the way on?

Once mine looked on but wasn’t, it was a little off. But slide and awning would not work. Jack worked but was on the truck.

Can always take a volt meter to check the batteries.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:54 PM   #15

Did everything quit after sundown? If you had a few things working, like the lights, that can be powered directly from the panels, but not when the sun goes down. This is the schematic in the bay, by the switch, which shows the jack should work no matter the position of the switch. If you lost what minimal power you had when the sun went down, your batteries are either dead, or disconnected.
Attached Thumbnails
20220720_114001.jpg  
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonilla View Post
The service manager said that it's hard to see whether or not it's the battery,
My thoughts-
It was fine previously.
You took it in for repair, you had a valid complaint and they didn't repair it. A simple battery load test should have been done, then that service manager could have given you a real answer. A battery load test shows is either good and has the proper capacity, or it's weak, there is nothing hard to see about it.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:34 AM   #17

Things to check

Have you hooked the camper up to shore power and everything works? Or are you only depending on solar to charge the batteries? If only relying on solar you have to check the charge controller. With solar charge controllers pretty much any brand they are set to low voltage disconnect at or around 10.5 volts. If it falls below this it will disconnect and not reconnect even when brought back up by charging or solar being in the sun. You usually have to disconnect the positive of the solar input for a few minutes and then reconnect it to reset the controller. It will look like everything is fine but if you don't do a reset it will not charge the batteries. Check all the fuses that also come from the solar panel to the controller. I would also check the water level of the battery as most all even 12v with main caps can gas and lose water through the charging cycles. Fill them with distilled water and charge em up. I would for sure switch to at least 2 6v batteries to give you enough amp hours for your need and to minimize the chances of a low voltage situation when boon docking. Previous reply is correct in a load test of the battery should've let them know what its state is. With solar it is more common to just be low on water. I would recommend for sure the hard reset of the charge controller by either unhooking the positive solar or go ahead and unhook them all for 10-15 minutes. If unhooking all you have to hook up the battery side first and then the solar with the positive solar last. Let us know. Thanks, Chris.
1200 watts solar, victron 3000 multiplus II full inversion system with cerbo gx, dual victron 100/50 ppt charge controllers, 400ah lithium batteries.
cjwaldfogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:15 PM   #18

We replaced the battery and it worked when we checked it. We then immediately used it camping with shore power. We just checked the camper (2 weeks later) and it's completely DEAD. I checked the disconnect and the camper is parked in the sun. With the comptroller replaced, I don't know what else it could be. I'm contacting Jayco on Monday for a follow-up. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:29 PM   #19

With a battery hooked up does the solar charger ever show any amperage or that it is charging?
Old 01-29-2023, 08:55 AM   #20

Do you have a voltage meter?

There are only really a few things that this can be. If you have a voltage meter (if you don't go to Walmart or hardware store/Amazon get a cheap one even). Plug your camper in and get the battery charged again, or a battery charger. Go to the solar charge controller and disconnect the wires going to it in the daytime (being careful not to let them touch each other, and if not labeled label them solar +/-, and battery +/-). With the battery charged and hooked up check the batter cables voltage at the charge controller vs the voltage on the battery posts. Then check the 2 wires coming from the solar with the meter which you may have to turn to a higher setting as it will most likely show somewhere between 19-40 ish volts depending on the sun etc. If there is good voltage from the battery (12 and above) and voltage coming from the solar charge controller, then I recommend momentarily hooking up the solar lines to the charge controller and reading both the solar and the battery screw post to see if the voltage is either the same or higher on the battery side of the charge controller. Know I know that it is not recommended to hook up per most manufacturers to hook up the solar without the battery hooked up but its the easiest way (especially if not familiar with voltage meters very well). If the voltage is higher or the same as the solar input side then the controller is good. If in all of this you do not get a reading from either the solar lines or the battery lines then there lies your problem. There is an inline fuse on one or both of those lines depending how manufacturer wired it that has likely blown or wiggled loose. I recommend doing this before taking it in as this will make you a little more intimately connected with your camper. LOL. Let us know if you do this and what you find. Also on another note if you use your camper to charge the battery check the voltage of the battery before you plug it in to shore power and then after and make sure the voltage goes up to verify the power converter/charger is working. Let us know. Have a great day.

Chris
1200 watts solar, victron 3000 multiplus II full inversion system with cerbo gx, dual victron 100/50 ppt charge controllers, 400ah lithium batteries.
cjwaldfogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar, solar package