Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #1

Soon to be new 2016 x213 owner

Hello,

In about a month I'll be picking up a new-to-me 2016 Jayco x213. I have been scouring the forums for ideas, and already have a laundry list of things that I want to do (although most will wait until we have been out at least once to make sure things are good, and convincing my wife that I need to do the mods). Bunk ladder and under the couch mods are at the top of my list. I have already picked up some 25' 30 amp extension cords, and am looking at getting a telescopic ladder to clean the slideout, and the RhinoFlex hose the the tanks.

We are upgrading from a 2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer, and I am very excited to not have to deal with the tenting any more, especially setting up/packing up in the rain.

One of the first things I'll be doing is installing the Progressive Industries HW30C EMS. I didn't have one on my old 1206, but with the A/C and more electrical bits in the x213, I want the protection. Looking here in the forums, it sounds like a relatively easy install. A question for over x213 owners is where to put it? I don't have my unit yet (pick it up on May 7th), but want to be prepared.

I'm also looking a options for parking the bikes in the front, and wondering what people have done. I saw one mod where they used roof-top fork holders to give them more support. I will have 4 bikes (2 adult, and 2 almost adult bikes) to store. I have some thule proride carriers (wheels strap in, arm attaches to bike frame) that I used on the cross-bars of my tent trailer. I'm wondering if there is enough space (or need) to mount those in the trailer under the bunk (we will be using both bunks for our kids, but it would be great if I could just leave it in when we put the bunk down). I'd obviously have to rotate the handlebars on the bikes to fit them in, but wouldn't have to remove the wheels. Do people just throw the bikes in and hope for the best? If I recall correctly, there are some bars that look like you can strap something to it next to the floor, but they didn't look to be all that sturdy. Also, does anyone with a 2016 x213 know the width from the wall to the bottom of the bottom bunk when it is in the upright position?

I'm sure I'll have a million more questions once we get it and go for our first trip (and continue digging through the forums).

Thanks,

Paul
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_ottawa View Post
Hello,

In about a month I'll be picking up a new-to-me 2016 Jayco x213. I have been scouring the forums for ideas, and already have a laundry list of things that I want to do (although most will wait until we have been out at least once to make sure things are good, and convincing my wife that I need to do the mods). Bunk ladder and under the couch mods are at the top of my list. I have already picked up some 25' 30 amp extension cords, and am looking at getting a telescopic ladder to clean the slideout, and the RhinoFlex hose the the tanks.

We are upgrading from a 2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer, and I am very excited to not have to deal with the tenting any more, especially setting up/packing up in the rain.

One of the first things I'll be doing is installing the Progressive Industries HW30C EMS. I didn't have one on my old 1206, but with the A/C and more electrical bits in the x213, I want the protection. Looking here in the forums, it sounds like a relatively easy install. A question for over x213 owners is where to put it? I don't have my unit yet (pick it up on May 7th), but want to be prepared.

I'm also looking a options for parking the bikes in the front, and wondering what people have done. I saw one mod where they used roof-top fork holders to give them more support. I will have 4 bikes (2 adult, and 2 almost adult bikes) to store. I have some thule proride carriers (wheels strap in, arm attaches to bike frame) that I used on the cross-bars of my tent trailer. I'm wondering if there is enough space (or need) to mount those in the trailer under the bunk (we will be using both bunks for our kids, but it would be great if I could just leave it in when we put the bunk down). I'd obviously have to rotate the handlebars on the bikes to fit them in, but wouldn't have to remove the wheels. Do people just throw the bikes in and hope for the best? If I recall correctly, there are some bars that look like you can strap something to it next to the floor, but they didn't look to be all that sturdy. Also, does anyone with a 2016 x213 know the width from the wall to the bottom of the bottom bunk when it is in the upright position?

I'm sure I'll have a million more questions once we get it and go for our first trip (and continue digging through the forums).

Thanks,

Paul
Regarding the HW30C, there is plenty of room behind the circuit breaker box, that's where we put ours and ran the wire for the display over to the wall where the thermostat is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS Fifth Wheel
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
mitchmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
msb

You'll love the X213 after a tent trailer. We've never looked back, and now comfortably camp Apr-Oct, and set up and break down with a lot less stress! I suggest buying some interlocking foam squares to put under the mattress on the slide-out side, and get a memory foam topper. It keeps it warmer and softens things up. Great, quick mod for comfort, do it before you go out and you'll thank yourself.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #4

mitchmitchell: Thanks for the info about the HW30C. Good to know there is plenty of space for it.

msb: Picked up a topper from Costco last week, but the foam squares for under the bed sounds like a great idea... Good think I never throw anything out and have a stack in the basement

Thanks,
Paul
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

Just picked up a new 2018 x213 this past Monday. Replaced a 2004 StarCraft 3606 pop up. Towed it from Fretz RV in PA to Hampton Bays NY. Can't wait to use it!
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
mitchmitchell: Thanks for the info about the HW30C. Good to know there is plenty of space for it.

msb: Picked up a topper from Costco last week, but the foam squares for under the bed sounds like a great idea... Good think I never throw anything out and have a stack in the basement

Thanks,
Paul
Paul,

We added a control board to our AC unit so it would run off a wall thermostat, if you decide to do that I can tell you how to run the wire.

Mitch

Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
Old 04-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #7

Congrats on your x213, We have had ours for 6 yrs now. I changed all the lighting to LED, added a MaxAirII vent cover, added a portable folding 120 watt solar panel, updated to a AGM Group 31 battery backed by 2 - 6 volt golf cart batteries for longer trips, 2” King mattress topper and I carry either my 2000 or 3100 watt Champion Generator for back up. I also have a ADCO designer Series cover for storage. We love our trailer, we had traded in a 1994 Starcraft Starflyer tent trailer that was in very good condition for it and we have not regretted it. I carry our bikes in my truck long with my generators.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #8

Can one if you fine X213 owners tell me the actual size of the two bunk beds AND the rear king bed?
I am
Looking into this model as a lightweight alternative to get by with the kids b4 college, and then become our quaint mom & pop pad on the weekends when they're gone.
My son is part Neanderthal, so I'm betting the bunks are too short.
Had canvas pop-ups, had a hybrid. Done with that.
Thanks.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
msb

I measured the twin--a bit over 6' at about 75 inches. I'm 6.1" and could sleep in the bottom bunk if I had to, but it would be tight. The top bunk is hard to get in and out of if you're not a kid, and there's no ladder. We have one kid, so the top bunk is our storage for clothes/duffel bags--works great.

The king is a bit shorter than a regular king, at 6.1", I hang off a bit but I've gotten use to it for the 20 or so nights we sleep in the camper. Plenty wide for a camper king, which is really rare in a small travel trailer.

I love the king slide and the X213, and it would work as a mom/dad rig sans kids for sure.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfirekid View Post
Can one if you fine X213 owners tell me the actual size of the two bunk beds AND the rear king bed?
I am
Looking into this model as a lightweight alternative to get by with the kids b4 college, and then become our quaint mom & pop pad on the weekends when they're gone.
My son is part Neanderthal, so I'm betting the bunks are too short.
Had canvas pop-ups, had a hybrid. Done with that.
Thanks.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

Thank you. Well, I guess that's not gonna work. I didn't realize the side armoire was so wide, making the bed short. Kiddo long legs is 6'-4".
I'm 6'-5". Guess he gets it from his mother.[emoji38]
I'll have to reconsider options. Seems the toy haulers with big beds that travel to the ceiling are the only option, or recliners...
Old 04-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Also x213 here. Best mod I made was to make the power cable removable. The mice were getting in the opening. Also, check the bottom of the trailer by the bathroom. Mine had a large hole for the water pipes that was not sealed letting in more mice.
My biggest pet peeve about the x213 is the insanely high tongue weight. Be very careful how you load this TT.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #12

michmitchel:
Thanks for the offer for the A/C thermostat. I may very well take you up on that offer once I see what we are working with.

BCx213:
The 2016 looks like it comes with LED lighting, so that part is already done.
Need to check on the vent cover to see if anything has been installed, if not, that is on my short list.
Picked up 3 40w solar panels from Canadian Tire (66% off), so I'll be playing with those.
Skipping on the generator for now... We are mostly staying in Provincial Parks (in Ontario), and most have power... If not, that is what the solar panels are for for running the pump and lights.

Danno:
The 2016 has a removable plug, so that is already taken care of.
I'll be sure to look underneath and plug up any holes that I can see. Thanks for that tip.
As for the tongue weight, I have read that. One of the reasons I upsized the truck to a Tundra was to be able to handle a heavier tongue...

All:
What kind of chocks to you use? For my tent trailer, I just used from 8" rubber chocks from Princess Auto, but I don't know if they would be sufficient with the x213. Should I invest in the X-Chocks? Are the Camco RV Wheel Stops OK (at 1/5 the price)?

Thanks again for everyone's help/advice.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #13

Best chocks I've used on all non-wide track axles is Roto-Chock. No movement. Excellent quality and customer service.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #14

kampfirekid: It doesn't look like the Roto-Chocks are being sold anymore, so I'll probably end up with the BAL X-Chocks.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #15

I went this morning to take a look at the trailer again and to take some measurements.

In case anyone is interested, here are some measurements for the 2016 x213

Bunk access door - 27"W x 46"H

Max width with bottom bunk up - 30 1/2" - Note that there is a ~1"x1" board attached to the back of the bathroom wall to support the bunk when down.

Width at floor: ~36" (there is another 1"x1" piece of trim on the floor).

Bunk floor is 73 1/2" long.
With the bunk folded down, there is around 10" of space.

7 1/2" in between the tires, so the BAL 28012 X-Chock should fit (no need for the larger ones) (these were the aluminium rims, but it should not make any difference).

The sink is somewhat irregular in size, and you would need 16x23 for a cover (on the stove side the 16" will be shorter (forgot to measure that)).

Lug nuts are 3/4", same as the scissor jacks.

Fridge internal dimensions:

20"W x 30"H x ~11" deep (the door has shelves 5" deep at the bottom and 3" deep at the top).

Freezer internal dimensions:

17"W x 13"H x 10" deep (there are also some shelves in the door)

The "king" bed (Teddy Bear Bunk Series mattress) is 75"x75"

With the slide in, you have approx 23"W x 68" deep storage between the couch and the dinette (forgot to measure the height).

Microwave internal dimensions:
7" high to top of rotating plate, 11" wide, 12" deep

Oven:

15" wide, 14" deep and approx 6" high

I did not have any power, so I could not bring the slide out for measurements under there.

I also have a bunch of other dimensions (cabinets, wardrobes, etc) and pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #16

Fairly new to this camping scene. Had a 18' Zinger for a few years, Just ordered a X213 what is a HW30C. Thanks
GeorgeDX213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #17

The HWC30 is an EMS (Electrical Management System), kind of like a surge protector for your RV.

See more info here:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tor-55526.html
Old 04-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #18

Danno: As it turns out, the 2016 x213 does not have a removable plug (I must have mistaken it for the 2018 the dealer also had on the lot).

Do you have any pictures/recommendations for the removable plug? I guess it is something that is now on my list...

Thanks,
Paul
Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmitchell View Post
Regarding the HW30C, there is plenty of room behind the circuit breaker box, that's where we put ours and ran the wire for the display over to the wall where the thermostat is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
In behind the circuit breaker box? As in just to the left of the furnace/under the fridge area? I don't have my HW30C yet (ordering if today on Amazon), but it does look a little tight back there. I had been thinking behind the couch as there is tons of space there, but I guess I'll see when I get my EMS.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 05-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
In behind the circuit breaker box? As in just to the left of the furnace/under the fridge area? I don't have my HW30C yet (ordering if today on Amazon), but it does look a little tight back there. I had been thinking behind the couch as there is tons of space there, but I guess I'll see when I get my EMS.

Thanks,
Paul
Yes, you'll need to pull the breaker box anyway to install the unit unless you plan on cutting the main power cable, something I didn't want to do. I had to use an impact driver to get the screws holding the wires to the circuit breaker loose, but that was the hardest part. You can get 30amp ac cable from Lowe's or Homedepot to connect the HW30C back to the breaker box.

Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup