Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #1

Soon to be new(used) TT owners

Hello folks. My wife and I are setting up to purchase our very first trailer this weekend. PDI is scheduled for Friday. Trailer in question is a 2013 154BH (to be towed behind the wife's 2002 Tahoe).

We've been talking about getting a little trailer for family camping trips for some time now. We haven't been camping in a few years, since the first kid arrived, so we are looking forward to having a nice little spot to sleep and keep us out of the PacNW weather.

Looks to be a pretty clean and lightly used trailer. We'll see what the PDI turns up. (I've been browsing the forum...LOTS of good info here, regarding inspections and more)

Dealer seems to be rather helpful, though some of their accessory prices are outrageous. $269 to install a Prodigy P2.... I don't think so. lol Wife's rig was without a brake controller, but the P2 I purchased for less than half that should be here Wednesday.

The look I gave the finance lady when she quoted the price for a weight distribution hitch must have gotten the point across. $500 for a Fastway E2? She said "we probably have a used hitch", and quoted that as free on the paperwork. Im willing to bet we'll be told "sorry, no used hitch" on Friday and they'll try to sell us one. Im also equally sure they'll either give us a new hitch/adjust the trailer price....or I'll be towing it home on my standard hitch.

Raises the question though.... I've never owned a weight distribution hitch, though I've used them a few times. I see depending on make/model, they're listed by either max tongue weight, or trailer max gross. Do I just choose one that is slightly above my max numbers? The truck can handle the load no problem....but any extra stability while traveling is always nice.

Well....thats our story so far. I can see theres LOTS to learn, so any advice is appreciated.
Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #2

Yes- select one that will be above the tongue weight anticipated *and* any cargo behind the rear axle. The idea is to get one that will handle the weight plus a little extra, but not less and not too much more. Too much is just as bad as too little.

For example- if your max tongue weight anticipated will be 850lbs, then a 1000lbs bar would be ideal. To estimate the likely max tongue weight- multiply the GVWR (potentially full weight) of the trailer by .15. That is an estimate on the high side so you have it covered. As for gross trailer weight, if you get a hitch able to handle, for example, 1000lbs tongue weight- it most certainly will handle 10000lbs towed weight. It's usually a 1:10 ratio.

Also, check to make sure you don't have a restriction placard. For example my JayFeather has a warning not to exceed 1000lbs bars. Too much leverage.

Lastly- while you don't have to break the bank when buying a hitch- there is no substitute for a good quality hitch with integrated sway control. Some say it's no use, some say it's great. I will never be without it now. You really do get what you pay for. I use BlueOx- pricey and heavy but the sway control and overall feel lets me set the cruise and enjoy the tow- my RV dealer supplied China Bomb most certainly did not. So... you absolutely get what you pay for. With my kids in the truck- cutting corners was no option. With the length you have- sway may not be an issue- even the likely loaded tongue weight may barely break the WDH threshold.

Congrats on the new trailer!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #3

I paid $180 for my Tekonsha P3 with the GM wiring adapter. It took less 20min in my 2006 silverado. If the tahoe is set up for a controller they are easy to install. Other consideration on the tahoe, if you run a battery on the trailer chevy does not fuse the constant 12v on their 7pin vehicles. My 2006 was wired but the 40amp fuse was not included. Older vehicles have the cable ran but not connected to the accessory post. We pull a white hawk 28dsbh and opted to spend the $700 for a equalizer 10000# system. Like the last post pointed out, I have two kids and the wife in the truck and pulling 12/13000lbs combined weight(truck and trailer) I don't fell like I should skimp out on sway control or stopping ability. Trailer pulls straight and truck sits level. Just my cents.
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #4

It's nice to have a new member from the Pacific Northwest/Evergreen State. Welcome aboard!
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcomes!

P2 controller showed up this afternoon. Talk about FAST shipping from Amazon, less than 24hrs. Should take less than an hour to install, and thats with me soldering the harnesses together. @crtc 01 I know what fuse you're talking about...but I thought it was a 30A? I'll have to double check that.

Just to be clear too, we WILL be using a weight distribution hitch. The extra stability is always nice, though the trailers max gross is less than half the trucks rated tow weight. We just won't be buying one from the dealer. If they toss one in as they quoted, great. If not, I'll be buying one elsewhere and saving at least $100. We'll find out Friday.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post
Thanks for the welcomes!

P2 controller showed up this afternoon. Talk about FAST shipping from Amazon, less than 24hrs. Should take less than an hour to install, and thats with me soldering the harnesses together. @crtc 01 I know what fuse you're talking about...but I thought it was a 30A? I'll have to double check that.

Just to be clear too, we WILL be using a weight distribution hitch. The extra stability is always nice, though the trailers max gross is less than half the trucks rated tow weight. We just won't be buying one from the dealer. If they toss one in as they quoted, great. If not, I'll be buying one elsewhere and saving at least $100. We'll find out Friday.
I have read both, 30 and 40amp. Just figured I would go with 40amp. If you find out let me know. Thanks
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtc_01 View Post
I have read both, 30 and 40amp. Just figured I would go with 40amp. If you find out let me know. Thanks
Well I can't remember where I heard 30A, but I discovered this afternoon, that GM included a 40A fuse with the factory optioned wiring harness.

Controller is installed. Took me longer to figure out where exactly I wanted to mount it, than it did to do the install. Well....I spent some extra time making things pretty and covering everything in wire loom.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:05 AM   #8

When i purchased my trailer used i looked in the storage compartment and they had left one behind , it was a equilizer hitch very easy to operate works good just my two
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

Its home!

The dealer DID "throw in" a used hitch. Its a over rated for the trailer though. We adjusted it to just barely level out the TV, didnt want to put too much stress on the TT tongue. Wonder if I can just get new bars....I'll contact the manufacturer. Its a Fastway E2 Trunnion style, but an 8,000lb hitch.

I've always believe threads are worthless without pictures... so here it is. JUST got it home. I have to rebuild the side gate so I can get it in the back yard. (HOA doesnt allow trailers to be stored in the driveway or side driveways)

OH...and I can already tell what one of the first mods will be. Gonna do an axle flip. This thing is LOW!
Attached Thumbnails
trailer.jpg  
Old 08-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #10

Sweet! And congrats!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #11

Second time I've heard axle flip. What is that and why do it?
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
Second time I've heard axle flip. What is that and why do it?
The axle sits on top of the leaf springs. Relocating it UNDER the spring packs is an easy and cheap way to lift the trailer. There's other details to consider (jack height for instance) but it will keep me from worrying about dragging the tail off my trailer. I came REAL close backing the trailer into the driveway this afternoon, as theres a little curb to get over and the rear axle of the truck had to go over a speed bump at about the same time.

Hitch height on our truck is a little high for this trailer too. A hitch with more drop to it would be recommended, but flipping the axle will solve that problem too.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #13

I also noticed we have stabilizing jacks on all four corners....but I keep reading that folks want to add them to the front, or that this model only comes with rear jacks.

Did we luck out with a free upgrade from the previous owner?