Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

Post Spongy Bathroom Floor

We have learned so much from reading the threads in the Jayco forum, and appreciate all the information we have found here.
Now, on our very first outing in our recently purchased 2007 Jayco Feather Lite Sport 165, we found drips on the ground along the back bumper. We traced one drip to the hot water tank plug which had not been screwed in tightly. Another drip seemed to be more active when the toilet was flushed. Outside from under the trailer, we found no dampness beneath the floor. The trailer was hooked up to water when we purchased it and there did not seem to be any problems, except a slight discoloration of the vinyl in front of the tub, explained as children splashing in the tub. Now, inspecting the cause of this leak, we have noticed spongy flooring from between the tub and toilet, alongside the tub, through the wall, and under the bed box. There is no sponginess under the hot water tank or under the fittings that go to the tub and shower. There are no water marks on the wall between the bed and the toilet.
Our best guess is that there had been an old unattended leak from the toilet or black water tank, but we are hesitant to start tearing out the toilet quite yet, or at least until we get some feedback.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated, because the User’s Manual is of almost no use in this instance.
Thanks,
The Ives
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #2

I would start with the toilet seal. An 8 year old unit may need the toilet reset. Remove the toilet and replace the seal. You will only be out the cost of the seal and you could with luck resolve your problem. Don't be afraid it's a pretty simple fix.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

Last time out I noticed the same spongy feeling in my 08 165. Not 100% sure as I haven't had time yet to Really investigate but I think My issue may be coming from the tub drain. There is an access hatch there. Regardless of where it's coming from the fix should be relatively easy. My question is how hard is it to fix the floor and is it worth it once the leak is fixed? Its a laminate floor right? Will the floor get worse or weaker if left. Mine is an 08. Comes a time when repairs aren't worth the value.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
Last time out I noticed the same spongy feeling in my 08 165. Not 100% sure as I haven't had time yet to Really investigate but I think My issue may be coming from the tub drain. There is an access hatch there. Regardless of where it's coming from the fix should be relatively easy. My question is how hard is it to fix the floor and is it worth it once the leak is fixed? Its a laminate floor right? Will the floor get worse or weaker if left. Mine is an 08. Comes a time when repairs aren't worth the value.
I've checked the access hatch. No sponginess under the tub drain, it's to the toilet side of the drain.
The floor is vinyl -- like lineoleum. And I wondered, too if the floor will get worse and/or weaker, and if the repairs will be worth it.
Thanks for the reply.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

I have the exact same soft spot in my 2007 165. I'm almost 99% sure it's just lack of bracing under that one spot in the floor. The bathroom is so small I'm pretty sure it's just a wear spot where it's the primary place you step. If your sitting on the toilet it's exactly where your right foot lands which also happens to be the same place you step when you step in and out of the shower. I noticed after a shower a small puddle would develop in the left floor in front of the tub, I thought I had a leak but realized it was water running down the shower walls and out the front of the tub. I fixed that with some of those tub shower splash guards I found at Lowes for about $5. I do plan on checking my toilet seal when I get a chance but I'm almost certain it's not the toilet. I also think when these campers were built they half did whatever kind of glue they glued the floor covering down with. I notice when you press it feels like maybe the glue is what has failed. If you lift the bed under there all the floor covering feels this way. I assume they just didn't put much glue in this area as it wouldn't be a high traffic area. I have been under the bed with a flashlight and the wood panels removed and it's dusty dry under there no leaks. Hopefully that will be the case with your camper. Only way to know is pull the toilet, you cannot see anything from the bottom due to the black water tank. I'm pretty sure it's just a design flaw and a high traffic spot in the floor that just needed an extra brace.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #6

It very well could be as Silver described being just a design flaw. The plywood used in these units is minimal at best. Consideration is more to weight factors than quality and excellent design/construction. That's just the realities. But, with that said, the fact that you already have found evidence of leaks in the effected areas, it screams investigate. Minimal standard materials when combined with moisture is a perfect recipe for rot and failure. It doesn't take much moisture to effect 3-ply decking causing rot and the lamination to breakdown.....and there goes your structural strength, not to mention the rot factor. The saddest part is, that issues like this could easily be avoided with a thorough coat of something like "Redguard" throughout the wet area (entire bathroom unit) and silicon sealant at the floor/wall joints prior to the application of finish flooring and paneling...............the additional weight factors would be unnoticed.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:17 AM   #7

Had the same floor issue in front of our sink floor was soft and spongy. Had a water leak at on of the low point drains and caused the wood sub flooring to get pretty soft. It will only get worse with time as it had spread from under the sink to about 8" infront. Got the leak fixed but the floor was not repairable without gutting the trailer nor not worth the cost/labor just due to the age. What I did was lay out another sheet of plywood over the existing floor stopping at the bathroom doorleaving a 1/4" space around all the cabinets etc and gluing/screwing it place. I then installing a low nap carpet down again stopping at the bathroom door and installing a threshold cap. The carpet gets tucked in along the 1/4' space and gotta say turned out really good and floor is really sturdy now.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #8

Finally got chance to look at mine yesterday. Connected a water hose, but I can't find any leak anywhere under the tub. Linoleum has definitely been wet though. Floor still seems solid after a few pokes under the tub with my knife. While on my hands and knees I noticed the surround does not go all the way to the tub and was not caulked. This could allow water to seep down between the tub and wall to the floor. I don't know for sure it that was the case or not but I dried and caulked the entire tub and surround. I left the inspection plate off and have every intention of using the shower this week on our trip. Maybe something will show itself.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:55 AM   #9

spongy floor

We purchased a sport with spongy floor. Dealer said probably toilet with too heavy of occupants.
Yesterday, I started checking the floor under the bed. Light water stains and spongy. Discovered the exterior outlet was not sealed and was allowing water in, flowing between the linoleum and chip board. Side wall under outlet and back corner all the way to bathroom big mushy mess. I fixed outlet and sealed with rope chaulk. Then will fix tiny hole in membrane and new floor.
I discovered a tiny Crack in the tub but that couldn't do all that. I will come back to toilet as suggested and repair/ support tub better.
Spongy floor extends to bathroom and kitchen.
Since plenty of rain came in day after I opened that area. I believe this could have been the total cause. Lol. Hard Rain just started as I finish this. Will be a great test on the outlet fix
Joyous7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #10

exterior outlet fixed

Didn't leak with really bad storm in any area under bed storage!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #11

Thats good to hear!

Vienna, VA??
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #12

Now Termites

I started to replace wood at interior wall under the exterior outlets. Bummer now there's termites. I have to finish pulling up the floors but had hoped to finish under bed and wall before going on to bathroom/ rest of floor...Any suggestions on how to make sure termites are gone before I get them everywhere?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
Thats good to hear!

Vienna, VA??
MO
Old 06-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #14

I just had mine looked at by a repair facility. He says my spongy floor is normal. Everything is dry and looked good. He stated I had poor support for the type of floor from the factory but it normal and ok.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #15

I have a 2011 165. It was purchased in 2012 and was never used. I have a soft spot under right foot if your sitting on the toilet. I agree I think its a design flaw, no damage from water. Another thing and maybe its just my imagination but the bathroom floor in its entirety and even under the tub and into about an inch under the bed seems to be slightly raised and softer as if there is some kind of a material under there.
Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #16

I too had spongy floor in my Jayfeather 226.I first ,while on the road placed a piece of plywood bracing under the trouble spot,between the 2 steel beams under the unit.Attached with angle irons and screwed to the beams using self tapping screws.I have since ,pulled the bath totally apart and replaced the floor with 1x6 souther yellow pine tongue and groove.Glued and screwed.It is MY BELIEF,while traveling in HIGH RAIN conditions,added to the hi humidity in South Florida,the flakeboard just breaks down.I checked the 2010 unit ,which I care for like a child for all kinds of leaks,yet,THIS YEAR,I had to place plywood bracing at the entrance ,as I did in the bath originally ,because it softened during a short trip ,again in the rain.I hope Jayco changes ,or changed the type of flooring,because,MY WIFE damn near went thru the bath floor, which prompted me to do something drastic.I did talk with a Jayco dealer,who told me ,it was out of warranty.Being a handy guy with no patience ,nor time to take my unit from Fl.Keys to a dealer.I did it myself.Stepping out of the elevated bath in a Jayfeather 226,and having a soft floor ,added to the fact ,cross beams are not at the load point ,could cause injury.Beware and if you have one,put the brace under as a precaution
mikesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #17

Red face

I also have the same spongy floor issue on my featherlight 165, from the refrigerator to the tub. Does anyone have pictures of how to place braces underneath the trailer (as I have to do the work myself -cost prohibitive to take to repair shop) ? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Monika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drip under trailer, spongy bathroom floor, sport 165