Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2015, 04:17 AM   #1

Spray foam under new x213?

Hi Everyone,

We are purchasing a new 2015 x213 and the black layer under the camper sags down quite a bit, there is also a lot of spray foam around the area where the sewer pipe exits the bottom.

There is only (1) x213 to look at here so we're trying to see if it's normal to have any spray foam let alone a substantial amount of the stuff protruding down around where the sewer pipe exits the black vinyl corrugated stuff sealing most of the bottom of the trailer. Looks unprofessional, so not sure if it's factory or dealer who did it.

Also, a small 1/2 dime size hole along the lower slide rail under the king. You can see/feel the wood plywood where the black vinyl was ripped from the outside. Worried about them throwing some sealant on for a temporary fix just to get through the inspection.

Thanks for the help, we go in for the inspection and to take it home on Monday.
Jaycom
Jaycom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #2

Jaycom,

I have an Eagle TT, so can't speak to your specific model. The black undercarriage sealer on mine sags some, too; especially under the water tanks. I figure it's normal, since you wouldn't want to be stapling/screwing it up into the tanks. The spray foam you see is essential to properly seal the area where things like water and sewer lines penetrate the foam board. It not only holds in the heat, but it also keeps out "critters". If you've ever used "Great Stuff", you know that stuff expands like crazy. It's virtually impossible to insure that a hole is completely sealed without having the stuff ooze out. If it bothers you, you can trim off the excess with a sharp knife. Just be careful not to cut a water line in the process. Expanding foam is not terribly resistant to UV rays, so it's not a bad idea to hit it with a little black spray paint. Not that you'll get a lot of UV rays under your trailer. I just figure the black paint is a little like chicken soup . . . it couldn't hurt.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #3

Did you buy it from " Blade" by any chance?
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

My Eagle has a lot of it oozing out around the sewer pipe too. I would not worry about it..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #5

Same here, I think that's normal. I even added some Great Stuff around the edges of our last one where there was some gap between the frame and the plastic, and also inside where the pipes and wires come up through the floor of the unit. We somehow had a mouse get in over winter, but after sealing those holes never had a problem again.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #6

If you ever remove the underbelly to service the water tanks, holding tanks, etc. Be sure to re-apply the spray foam to any gaps or holes such as those around the drains. The big box hardware stores sell a spray foam that is water proof and is made for backyard ponds, etc. That is pretty good stuff to use, and it is black in color so it even matches the coroplast.

Don't just dismiss the hanging belly by the watertanks as loose coroplast. Mine was hanging quite low in that location. I unscrewed some of the self-tapping screws holding the underbelly and took a look. The FW tanks (I have 2) were sagging between the support straps and pushing down the coroplast. I added extra strapping to the tanks and cured the sagging problem.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycom View Post
Hi Everyone,

We are purchasing a new 2015 x213 and the black layer under the camper sags down quite a bit, there is also a lot of spray foam around the area where the sewer pipe exits the bottom.

There is only (1) x213 to look at here so we're trying to see if it's normal to have any spray foam let alone a substantial amount of the stuff protruding down around where the sewer pipe exits the black vinyl corrugated stuff sealing most of the bottom of the trailer. Looks unprofessional, so not sure if it's factory or dealer who did it.
Our X213 has this exact same configuration -- sealed underbelly is not flat and there is a lot of spray foam insulation around the sewer pipe.
mitchmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #8

I wish that they had used spray foam on our 2012 X213.
Found that a rat had mad himself at home in our trailer over the winter. I found a 2 inch hole under the tub where the main harness went into the trailer that was like a rat highway.
He was only in there for a week or so, but there was poop and pee all over the place.
Jayco makes the trailers so that it is really hard to get at the back of the cupboards, bath, furnace etc. It was not easy getting everything cleaned up. I didn't have any spray foam at home so I just filled the hole with clear silicone that I had. Only thing I had in the garage that wouldn't eat the Styrofoam in the floor.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #9

Whenever you find a hole large enough for a mouse or rat to enter, pack it tight with steel wool. They won't chew through it. Then add some silicone to cover it to keep the moisture away from the steel wool so it does not cause any rust discoloration issues.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #10

Spray foam sealer

Anybody know where to get the black spray foam jayco uses or similar? I can find the Home Depot stuff but kind of wanted black. Don't want to spray it black if I can avoid it.
PETERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERS View Post
Anybody know where to get the black spray foam jayco uses or similar? I can find the Home Depot stuff but kind of wanted black. Don't want to spray it black if I can avoid it.
I got a can of the WATERPROOF spray foam (used for things like backyard ponds, etc) and it was black in color. I got it at a local Menards (which is a Lake States area big box Home Depot type store).
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote