Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #1

Stabilizer Jack Replacement ?

Hi to all

I have a question about the stabilizer jacks on our new Jay Feather Ultra Lite 221. The jacks that came on it are some off brand, they are made very cheap, I can’t see them lasting very long.

They are made like the BAL C Jacks, has anyone changed their jacks out ? If so what did you replace them with?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

I have not replaced a jack but a friend that recently bought a "universal" replacement jack found the bolting pattern on the new jack didn't really line up with his Jayco. You may want to measure and/or draw out your bolting pattern then see if a local RV store has a jack with the same pattern. I have the "made in China" specials on my new Jayco too.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

It's an Ultra-light trailer! The stabilizer on our 25Z look light and they are, but the trailer is now 6 years old and we have not had a single problem with them.

Just remember they are stabilizers meant to keep the trailer from shaking and not jacks meant to lift or level the trailer. Use Lynx levelers under the tires for side to side adjustment and the tongue jack for front to back. Once you have it level, then crank down the stabilizers. We usually pull in to where we want to be and check the level. (We mounted calibrated bubble levels on the side and rear of the trailer) You quickly get to know how many blocks it will take to get it where you want it. (On our trailer it's about 1 block per degree) Put the blocks next to the tires and pull forwards (or backwards) push the blocks in place. Then drive the trailer onto the blocks. Set the front to back level after you unhook. It only takes a few minutes after you have the process down. Most of the time we are done before the people with electric jacks get the first two down.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #4

We had a 2005 Jay Feather LGT with the cheap stamped sheetmetal jacks. It didn't take much to bent them.
I replaced both the front and rear jacks with
BAL telescopic jacks. They are much more rugged than the standard jacks and gave me zero problems.
Click image for larger version

Name:	157602_ts.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	8806

I also put the BAL locking stabilizer arms on.
Click image for larger version

Name:	bal_lock_arm.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	8807

Between the jacks and the stabilizer arms, it made a big difference.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

Update.

Hi All

I replaced the jacks yesterday that came on our tt with the Bal C Jacks, everything went well.

Man, you talk about a big improvement, it don’t even take half the amount of cranking to lower and raise the C Jacks as compared to the other ones.

The C jacks are made a lot better, the ones that came on the tt was made in China, the Bal Jacks are made in the USA.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #6

I believe the frame of the Jay Feather 29N is aluminum (not sure). Is it feasible to reinforce the bottom with say a steel plate across front and rear bottom to accommodate electric leveling jacks? After back surgery at age 70, I need to minimize as much bending as possible. Sounds silly to folks without back problems but its minimize bending or give up camping and I love the experience.
luggage is offline   Reply With Quote