Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

super sensitive smoke alarm

Greetings all,

The smoke alarm in our 2018 Hummingbird 17FD operates more like a steam or faintest-wisp-of-smoke alarm. When we make coffee or boil water for tea, it goes off. When we make toast, it goes off. We cook something on the stove and it goes off. Always.

We have the exhaust fan in the bathroom running, and usually the door and several windows open. It's the alarm that came with the trailer.

Others face this quandary? It's an annoyance. Any thoughts on a ready solution? New after market smoke alarm maybe?

Thanks as always,
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #2

The wife opens the vent fan as part of prepping to do anything in the kitchen.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #3

Ours goes off at the slightest cooking odor as well. That’s with the vent over the range going. Of course they mount the alarm almost directly over the stove instead of in the bedroom near the front. Stupid, maybe, but I finally just pulled the battery and said to heck with it.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
Greetings all,

The smoke alarm in our 2018 Hummingbird 17FD operates more like a steam or faintest-wisp-of-smoke alarm. When we make coffee or boil water for tea, it goes off. When we make toast, it goes off. We cook something on the stove and it goes off. Always.

We have the exhaust fan in the bathroom running, and usually the door and several windows open. It's the alarm that came with the trailer.

Others face this quandary? It's an annoyance. Any thoughts on a ready solution? New after market smoke alarm maybe?

Thanks as always,
We used to have this problem in our Skylark. I switched to a photo type smoke detector and have had no more false alarms.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleckb View Post

Thanks as always,

If I make toast the sensor that is about 5' away from the toaster would always let me know when the toast was done. The toast popped up around the same time the smoke alarm was activated. After spinning a towel around to cause a breeze around the alarm for a summer, I thought there had to be a better way... so I started the AC in fan only mode when toasting my bread. Problem resolved!
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #6

I take our smoke alarm off the mount and put it behind the television, I put it back on the mount when we sleep.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #7

We have the same problem when we cook. I take the battery out while we are cooking and when done put the battery back in.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #8

I guess the good news is that we're not alone in our annoyance, not that any of us should have this hassle. I'll try the photosensor type and hope that works.

Thanks all!
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #9

We put ours in the bed compartment and shut the door when we cook. We've found that cooking things that smoke a little we have to move it, others like pasta and sauce we don't.
Yes, they are sensitive, but giving you more time to escape if something happens. An even an extra 15 seconds is a lot of time to get out or find a small problem before it gets bigger.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #10

I dont know for yours but the one on my 29rks have some sort of cancel button right in the middle of it. It wont stop the first alarm however if you press the button it will stop the alarm and cancel it for a period of time, so no need to play the towel dance or to remove the battery

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:12 AM   #11

Cancel Button

Our 2018 Hummingbird 16FD has this cancel button feature. Alarm silences until alarm condition goes away, then automatically resets. Makes the sensitive alarm problem tolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
I dont know for yours but the one on my 29rks have some sort of cancel button right in the middle of it. It wont stop the first alarm however if you press the button it will stop the alarm and cancel it for a period of time, so no need to play the towel dance or to remove the battery
glhalcomb is offline   Reply With Quote