Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

Swift 185 RB TailLight Issue

I have an issue on my 2014 Model Year Jayco Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB. I test my light before I leave for a trip each time. This time the light test failed. I had no brake or turn signal on right side.(Passenger) I followed the wires to a metal 4"x 4" box near the back of the tongue. There was crimp connectors in there. ( They looked like new.)I put my multimeter leads under the plastic covers and had a signal there with the right directional light on so I ruled out the truck. However I did not have anything at the bulb when I took the cover off and tested there.

From the metal box the wires go into a hole in the aluminum diamond plate near the bottom of the trailer. (Plugged with spray foam.) Can't tell where they go from there. Has anyone else gone this route?

I guess my next step is to pull the light fixture out of the back of the trailer. The wires I see going to the bulb are not the same wires in the front of the trailer. There must be a connection behind the fixture I am guessing.

I sure hope it is not in between somewhere.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Old 09-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #2

I had a 2012 185rb, as I recall the wiring follows the right frame rail. Start at the front, right behind the diamond plate, see if you can 'trace' the wire route. Are your other running lights working? If they are, might simply be the ground at that fixture.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #3

Yes the left side (driver side) is working fine. The running light worked on the right side it was just stop & turn. I would assume they use the same ground?

Just got back from camping hope to tear into it in the next few days. I appreciate your quick response.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #4

What about clearance lights...the chassis is ground and usually no ground wire except fixture to ground.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

The running lights worked fine. Amber up front and reds in the back. I still have not had a chance to get back at it. Maybe tomorrow night.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

***Update***

In my haste to leave for my camping trip I ruled out the tow vehicle. I decided to check again before I pulled the light out of the camper. It was a good thing I did.

There was no power to that light for stop/turn. It was a blown fuse under the hood of the truck for the trailer lighting. Apparently it has separate circuits for the truck and trailer.

Now that I think about it I did haul an old dump trailer the weekend before and dropped it off at my sons house. It must have blown the fuse.....

Thanks for your help anyway.

All is good now for the next camping trip.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #7

You don't list a TV, both F-150's I've had have tow circuits that are fused, and more than a PITA to get to. You not only have to be double jointed but an acrobat to get to it in the 2007, the 2015 is easier under the hood.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #8

Thumbs up

My TV is in my signature. It's a 2011 GMC Sierra. It was easy to change the fuse. (Had to get one first.) It's under the hood with about 50 others in the electrical center. What burns me is how I ruled it out falsely somehow. It was clear when I rechecked it there was no power going to the trailer light.