Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #21

We have a small TV. Its mostly used at night for the kids to watch a DVD at bedtime but being able to catch the local news and have something else to do on rainy days is convenient.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #22

We have a TV in our rig that sees fairly regular use for the time being. In the morning during breakfast, we try to catch the local news, and if the campground has cable, we'll catch one or two of our favorite shows while we relax and finish our coffee before we get out for the day (we don't have cable at home, so it's a nice treat sometimes). In the evenings we'll catch the news, and we always bring a handful of DVD's for pre-bed-time entertainment.

Sometimes it gets so hot around here that sitting out by a fire in the evening seems like about the worst idea ever. The bugs can get pretty vicious too.

The one thing I will say is that we're expecting our first child in October, and I have a feeling our TV usage while RVing will likely change. We didn't have one for many years when I was a kid (dad finally relented and let mom have a TV and VCR, I rarely ever watched it). And when you're backpacking, there's obviously little room for electronics. I want my kid to be exposed to the beauty of the outdoors, and to appreciate whatever charms our chosen spot has to offer, so it's likely the TV will be reserved for very specific times. Even if the weather's bad, there's nothing like a good card game by candlelight to bring the family together... The TV doesn't make lasting memories or deeply ingrained family traditions...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #23

We go camping to get away from these types of things. In the last six years, the tv in the rv has been on 4 times, due to being inside because of the weather. If it weren't for the dvd player, it would not have been on at all. No tv reception where we camp, and there will NOT be a satellite dish on my rv. I have a DVR at the house if there is something that is on while we are out. No tv and no phone service is what camping is about.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #24

No TV ???? Lets stop talking crazy.. Lol..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
You must know my wife.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Yes, with the units we bought they end up being a focal point....my wife's idea of camping!

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #27

We do use our TV on our trips, but only for DVDs. We don't use it with satellite or cable, although had I had a cable cord on my first trip this year, I would have watched the Blazers/Rockets playoff game while I was at the coast. Ended up going into overtime and kept walking to the neighbors trailer who had their TV out under the awning playing the game. I got home to watch the Lillard series winning shot and that is what matter to me :-)

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab
2014 Jayco JayFlight 32RLDS
BroncoUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #28

We have a small TV but no satellite. If we're lucky we can get 2 -3 channels in the places we camp. I mostly use it for weather. Also take a few DVD's in case of rain, but don't think we've looked at one yet!
jeeper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #29

I carry a NOAA Weather Radio for weather emergencies.

We have a popup so no TV. However, on our 10 day vacation next week I plan on bringing a small TV and DVD player in case the weather turns south. A small camper with 2 3-year-olds jumping about stir crazy is not fun. They don't have the attention span for games and you can only read so many books.

On weekends however there is no TV, but the weather radio always comes.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #30

Bottom line is easy. For those that are single, you'll get this later.

"If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Short answer to the truth.

We purchased a 2007 Jay Flight bunk house in 2007.

The agreement was simple. She told me "I'll go camping with you and the kids, if you can give me a comfortable bed, air conditioning and DirecTV. " I told her I'd do that, IF she would guarantee me a minimum of 20 nights per Summer camping season, spent in the new camper.

My wife at the young age of 35 had to have 3 vertebrae in her spine fused. Falling to sleep in pain is a difficult task. The number of vertebrae fused escalates as we age. At 53, her entire Lumbar is fused, tail bone is fused and we are making our way up. That said,

Agreement made: I purchased a Yamaha 3000 watt generator and had a welder fabricate a hitch and cargo rack off the rear bumper stout enough to support it and more. I purchased a Tempurpedic matteress and I purchased a DirecTV dish.

My kids were 5 & 6 when that agreement was made. They are now 13 & 14. We average 30+ nights per season in the camper.

We've camped at Glacier National Park, Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone NP, Canada, Grand Coulee Dam, Crater Lake NP, Santa Cruz beach front, Petrified Forest NP, Phoenix, Grand Canyon NP, Arches NP, Teton NP, Sequoia NP, Yosemite NP, Lake Tahoe & Twin Falls Idaho :-).

We typically travel 3000+ miles when we go cross country to see these amazing National Parks and cities of ours. And we live in God's Country to begin with, in the heart of the Rocky Mountain range, here in Montana.

A TV in our TT......priceless.

Momma's happy and hence so is the entire family.

My wife is happy and comfortable.

If bringing along a TV, enables me to get my wife out of the house and simultaneously be able to show my children some of the most amazing sights in our country. Then TV in the TT.

If putting a TV in the TT means the kids get to go camping and momma will be there, in a manageable state of pain, but there........Then DirecTV is inside our little condo on wheels. Our Vacation Home, when we are away from home is a very welcome addition.

Whether in a parking lot overnight, in route to another long US Interstate long expedition of daily driving, or simply up the road only a bit to camp on the weekend in the middle of the woods, where a grizzly may be friendly.

So TV in the TT........Momma's happy, we're all having a good RV time. Dad gets his kids out camping with their mother.

For the single guys, you'll get it someday. But always know,

"If momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy".

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #31

Thank you Big Sky for sharing your story.

I'm sure Fathers and Mothers Days are special in your household. And as your kids grow up, I'm sure they will have some terrific memories.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #32

winegard hd direct tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
We love our DirecTV as well. We don't use the TT much during football season but NFL Sunday Ticket has kept us loyal DirecTV users for 15 years or so.

I know they are expensive, but after a few years of battling with the tri-pod we installed the Winegard Trav'ler for HD DirecTV. Have you looked into these? You do become much more conscious of how you park your TT but they sure are convenient, push a button and drink a beer while the robot locates itself with GPS and then fine tunes the direction/angle & azimuth. Well worth the money if you are moving locations frequently. I've been completely surprised how many times it can dial in signal when we are surrounded by trees.

We had ours installed 3-4 years ago, looks like that model has been discontinued. The SWM technology seems to be integrated into the new dish. They cost less on Amazon.

http://www.winegard.com/travler/trav...v-slimline.php

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/pi...pictureid=2599
Yes, I did look into them and the cost of over $2,000 took care of that. I have become very proficient at setting up the large dish on a tripod. lol

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #33

We use ours for news/weather and the occasional movie during inclement weather. Nothing gets in the way of fishing time [unless DW needs anything].
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Nothing gets in the way of fishing time [unless DW needs anything].
I like this!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Yes, I did look into them and the cost of over $2,000 took care of that. I have become very proficient at setting up the large dish on a tripod. lol
LOL....Yeah you'd need some strong motivation to spend that much. It works for us.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #36

We have a DVD player in ours. A movie is nice for occupying kids time when you are stuck in the camper due to rain.
Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #37

Television in the TT

I put in a 22" Samsung and mounted it to the wall. I have a 6 year old daughter with special needs, so we let her watch something during breakfast, but that's it. Otherwise all the kids are outside being kids. I will sometimes catch a sports event on it, but not often
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote