Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2022, 03:44 PM   #1

Television saga

So, a week ago I came home with my lightly used, new-to-me 2022 166FBS. I admit up front I didn't do a very thorough inspection; I'm one of those who has no preconceived notion that any travel vehicle will be without problems, and I'm a die-hard DIY guy.

So, on the way home, the Connexx TV fell off. The mount is poor, as has been noted many times, but in this case the portion of the TV that bolts onto the mount stayed on the mount and the TV broke away. Broke off some of the tabs that hold the pieces together. I reinforced things and added some screws and remounted the TV. Did a channel scan, nothing.

Figuring it was kaput and really preferring the Furrion I ordered one and installed it - it mounts to the same bracket, and does so better because the screws are much farther apart. It did require some enlargement of the cabinet hole.

So, did a channel scan, nothing. Pulled the power injector panel and found that all three cables (antenna, cable, and outside TV) were very loose. Tightened them and went on the roof and pulled the Winegard 360 and found the cable VERY loose - took more than 3 turns to tighten. Now a channel scan produced 2 stations - should be around 20 where I am.

At this point I ordered a King Omni Pro, which arrived yesterday. It had occurred to me that it was possible that the cables were messed up on the injector, so I made a simple 9-volt power injector and tested end to end. I was partly right - the cable and outside TV connectors were reversed, but the antenna cable was on the correct connector (didn't actually test that one, figured process of elimination; if I had tested I might have found the problem below).

As I was doing this I noticed that both the antenna cable and the outside TV cable had connectors far from fully on the cable (the cable connector was OK). Very little center wire showing. Having done a lot of work with satellite in the past I had everything to put new connectors on, and did so. Ran a scan, and got 4 channels. Went up top and pulled the connector on the Winegard and there was NO chance the center was contacting. Put a new connector on and went back for another channel scan. Got 18 channels, all clear.

Since I had opened the box I went ahead and did a temporary connection using the King and its associated power injector. A scan produced the same 18 channels, so it appears that swapping out the antenna won't make any difference.

Moral of the story is that I harken back to my long-departed father who was a handyman extraordinaire - He always said the first step is "make sure it is plugged in!"
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:36 PM   #2

not as bad as my grandmother who wasn't used to newfangled TV's in 1960 . She could not get hers to do anything and called the TV repairman( remember those? You are OLD). He came and plugged it in. There was of course a fee.

We have two TV's in our 212 QB. They work.. We have yet to find a station. Not surprisingly cause the campgrounds we have used do not have cable and there are only two broadcast over the air cities. When you are 150 miles from both..expect nothing. Someday we may do the KOA thingy..

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
TV repairman( remember those? You are OLD).
Unfortunately, true.
I'm 75. My father died at 75 in 1970. He saw his first electric light at age 5. First experience with radio was with a whisker-and-crystal listening to KDKA Pittsburgh (all the way in California!). Over the course of time he was a draftsman for a company making wooden spoke wheels, army artillery man in France WWI, radio repairman, electrician, gold prospector, gas station owner/mechanic, machinist, and in his old age, piano tuner. I learned a lot at his knee!
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

Old 07-02-2022, 05:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
not as bad as my grandmother who wasn't used to newfangled TV's in 1960 . She could not get hers to do anything and called the TV repairman( remember those? You are OLD). He came and plugged it in. There was of course a fee.

We have two TV's in our 212 QB. They work.. We have yet to find a station. Not surprisingly cause the campgrounds we have used do not have cable and there are only two broadcast over the air cities. When you are 150 miles from both..expect nothing. Someday we may do the KOA thingy..
We are at a KOA right now TV scan shows 48 channels and not 1 plays. For what it's worth I'd rather be deep in the woods but this is a family thing...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
TV scan shows 48 channels and not 1 plays.
That is truly odd! Normally when signals are that bad they won't scan as there, period.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:53 PM   #6

Agreed but it is across multiple campers. BTW Don your perseverance is quite impressive!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:33 AM   #7

You did see there is a power switch for the antenna on the top of the TV cabinet: I didnt notice it at first. As for the TV mount, you may want to check out my post on the fix for that.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
You did see there is a power switch for the antenna on the top of the TV cabinet: I didnt notice it at first. As for the TV mount, you may want to check out my post on the fix for that.
The power switch is the injector I mentioned - actually it is both; when off it switches the inside and outside TV inputs to cable, and when it is on it switches input to the antenna and also injects 12 volts into the antenna line to power the amplifier in the antenna itself. At least in theory, according to the Winegard site, that particular injector (the one with a cigarette lighter type plug) also contains an amplifier and won't work with an antenna that has its own amplifier, but it does work so who knows why.

On the mount thing I may have seen your post but I don't know which one it was - I've read several posts about mount fixes. If you don't reference your own posts by link it can be very hard to find. For example if you search for posts by Forester2 using the word television there are currently none. If you use the word mount, it references this thread. If you use "TV" the system won't search for phrases that short.

In any case, at least until the next rough road, my mount is very secure. It wasn't the cause of the TV falling, which was a failure of the plastic part on the TV that has the mounting holes, but it was a very droopy mount. I made modifications to the hinge mounts such that it now is solid, and the latch pin lines up exactly with the latch.