Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #1

Tire wear

I have a 2016 jayco 154bh. Since we usually only camp locally I have less than 5000 miles on my tires. They have good thread, no signs of cracks, and camper is in shade when not in use. Is it necessary to buy new tires? I'm told just being almost 6 years old that they should be replaced. It's not the cost that concerns me, I just don't like to replace them if not necessary. Any thoughts?
kennyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
CAG

None of us like to replace items when it is not necessary and most RV tires I have replaced have low mileage and good tread but 3-4 years in my part of the country is about it for tire like and 6 years is out of the question. Dry rot and you can’t always see it.

Take them to a couple of local tire shops and have them evaluated but if you don’t want to be on the side of the road waiting for road service get new tires.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
CAG

This is a common topic and you can find numerous discussions by using the search feature at the top of the page.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #4

I had an 8 year old 5 x 8 flatbed trailer with original tires. But I only used it to take my mower to a repair person and a couple of Menards runs. I kept my speed under 60, checked pressure before each use. And still worried about blowouts.
On my 195RB i replaced my Raineers with Goodyear Endurance becasue we travel several thousand miles a year over sometimes poor roads and I didn;t want to worry. Plus the Raineers were 65 limited vs 87 max for the Goodyears.
You can take a chance if you want but look at the cost of a roadside blow out on safety, RV damage from the tread and just the frustration of losing day(s) wasted waiting to get a replacement.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyr View Post
I have a 2016 jayco 154bh. Since we usually only camp locally I have less than 5000 miles on my tires. They have good thread, no signs of cracks, and camper is in shade when not in use. Is it necessary to buy new tires? I'm told just being almost 6 years old that they should be replaced. It's not the cost that concerns me, I just don't like to replace them if not necessary. Any thoughts?
RV tires rarely wear out they "AGE OUT". They are probably 7 years old on a 6 yr old rig.

One of the first things to look at when deciding whether or not you should change your RV tires is the time frame that it’s been since you last changed them. The common rule of thumb for changing your RV tires is anywhere between three and six years. If you are on the road often, and you think your tires need to be changed, then it may not be possible to last as long as six years. Then again, if you only take your rig out sporadically, then you may be able to push it up to that six year mark – although it’s never recommend going much longer than that.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #6

Tire wear

Thank you all! Think I'll take all your advice and replace them this week!
kennyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:49 PM   #7

Don't know what you mean by local?
If radius 0f 50 miles +- I'd keep running them. Balanced, proper air pressure and and no excessive speed you should be fine.
I ran a set of LT tires for 10 years, looked like new when I got new tires. Discount Tire, place of purchase, wouldn't survice any longer!!! And I did put about 3k miles a year on average.
Just my tire experience, yours may differ.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
I ran a set of LT tires for 10 years,
You got very lucky. The Discount Tire guys here, where I have been buying all of my tires for the last 50 years say, 3-4 on RV tires and the manager who pulled a 5th wheel about the size of my Cyclone said you're on borrowed time after 4.

Consider that they sit for months in the weather, on the same spot on the tire, seldom get rotated, get seriously bent out of shape while turning and backing (watch the sidewalls of your tires when you put it into a 60 degree backing turn).

I would not run my vehicle tires that long let alone RV tires.