Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #1

Tires on my X213

I have had my X213 in storage for a couple years now and I see that the OEM tires are now cracked so I need to replace them. They are currently the GoodYear Marathon ST185/80R/13C. I was going to replace them with the same tire but have been reading lots of reviews that really trash that tire since they started being manufactured in China. It is extremely hard to find that size tire here in Las Vegas .... at least so far. I have forunf the same tire for $69 each and I have also found the PowerKing Towmax SCR II I think it was for $48.72. I was also looking at the Carlisle Trail RH the C load rating one, can find the D load rating one. But I can order these from Amazon for $47.12. The Maxxis ST Radial M-8008 Radial Tire is $92.21 but for this size and load rating it really didn't get very good reviews and seems to be made out of country now as well and the guy that ordered the tires got new tires with a 2014 manufacture date so all ready getting old.

So what are you fellow X213 owners doing for tires, or any one else that has a light trailer and using the load rating c tires. Thank you very much for any help

John
2011 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213
2000 Chevy 2500HD Silverado
jmoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #2

I had very good luck with the Carlisle RH's on our last tt, and continue to read very good things about them. I am very close to buying a set of the RH's for our 32. Hard part is while I don't recall the exact manufacture date of the stock tires, we have only owned it for under 1yr so the tires aren't that old or have a lot of use.

If ordering, try to stipulate the tires to be newer. Regardless of brand there are the horror stories of receiving 2 or 3yr old tires that have been sitting in a warehouse.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #3

Stay away from tow max! I have a 2013 jayco with tow max and the tires are cracked as well.
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #4

I have the same size tires on out 23B. I just installed Carlisle's RH, (load range D) their new size/configuration for the R13 size. I have about 300 miles on them and so far I like them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have the same size tires on out 23B. I just installed Carlisle's RH, (load range D) their new size/configuration for the R13 size. I have about 300 miles on them and so far I like them.
Where did you find the Load Range D? I have not found them around here in Las Vegas. Also my only other concern is the increase in tire pressure from 50 to 65 psi. I have the alum. spoke wheels and do not know if they will handle the additional pressure.

John
Old 05-31-2016, 05:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
Where did you find the Load Range D? I have not found them around here in Las Vegas. Also my only other concern is the increase in tire pressure from 50 to 65 psi. I have the alum. spoke wheels and do not know if they will handle the additional pressure.
Email Jayco with your vin about the max rim weight/pressure rating.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadows11 View Post
Stay away from tow max! I have a 2013 jayco with tow max and the tires are cracked as well.
They didn't crack because they are TowMax. Check the date code on the tires. I'm betting they were already 2 years old when you bought the trailer. The TowMax on our 2013 were a year old but I didn't catch it on the PDI. Still, they are holding up fine. I also cover mine during the winter.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
Discount Tire told me about them when I called about pricing on a different tire. They are really new, maybe 3 months now. I could not find anything online about them.

I called Jayco with my Vin and talked about the increase tire pressure, and they said it was not an issue.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for all the info and help. I was going to buy the tires from Amazon and just have them mounted and balance at the local Discount Tire Store. They wanted $20 + $3 to do that per tire. So I figured I would call and talk to them about the tires as well. Interesting info from them as well. They could not get the Carlise Trail RH tire in the D load rating but they could the C rating. Not what I wanted to do, So he researched more and said it appears to him they are discontinuing the product code 6H01521, the D load rated tire and have came out with the new Carlise Trail HD tire. That would be product code 6H04541 for size ST185/80/13 Load Rated D. He said because they are new like 3 months, that the tires would be fresh. So all 4 tires, mounted, balanced, disposal and tax ... out the door $463.66. or $115.92 per tire. Not bad so will go with these new tires and report back with updates as we go down that road. Pun intended.

So looking forward to getting the X213 out of storage and camping again. Miss it lots.

John
Old 06-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #10

Well it just gets harder and harder to get what you want. Discount tire called me back today and said that their warehouse has not received the new Carlise Trail HD tire. That would be product code 6H04541 and the earliest date I could get them would be 2 week into July. Well that doesn't work for me, have a trip planed for last week in June. So now he tells me he can get me the Carlise Trail RH load rated D 6H01521. So went with them and they should be here in a couple days but I told them I would not except any tires over 6 months old. Guess I will see what happens. Also only a 2 dollar savings on each tire.

John