Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #21

What I really want to know what is the difference between standard F150 and the HDPP? Are axles, brakes, frame, and tires different?

Also very interesting that Ford said brakes are rated at GVWR. So in term of stopping power F250 with GVWR of 12k# attached to 17k# trailer is no different than a F150 with GVWR of 7600# attached to 9k# trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #22

From 2018 Forf F150 Brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Ford.jpg  

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:33 PM   #23

I bought a new 2017 F150 this past year with plans to tow a travel trailer with GVWR rating of 7600 lbs. (that's just for the trailer, at max load capacity). Although an F150 with the 2.7 liter ecoboost can be had with max tow capacity of 7600 lbs (or close), so I initially thought maybe I could do with the 2.7 and the test drive was impressive with that engine for acceleration with just the truck, i.e., had way better acceleration than my old 2002 F150 with the 5.4 liter V-8.

After doing the math to figure out what I would need for Gross Combined Vehicle Weight, i.e., truck, loaded to the greatest I would ever need, and max loaded trailer (which I've later figured out I should probably never reach, but could get to within 500 lbs of it at some point down the road) I ended up getting the 3.5 ecoboost, max trailer tow package, and heavy payload package.

It gets a bit complicated and confusing figuring it all out as you need to include the trailer tongue weight in your max GVW for the truck w/ passengers, dogs, camper shell if you have one, and all the stuff you might ever want to load and take with, plus trailer tongue weight, hitch weight, etc. I actually put together a spreadsheet to tally up everything, guessing at some things but trying to guess a bit high, etc.

Anyway, had I gone without the heavy payload package, I would not have been able to carry more than one passenger with myself driving at times, and very little cargo, without a good possibility of exceeding the GCVR, or the GVWR of the truck when the tongue weight of the trailer is added. Your auto dealer may be able to help you with this, but be careful as not all will make the effort to make sure you end up with what you need for payload capacity. Good luck.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #24

Half tons almost always run out of payload capacity before "trailer" capacity. And I would be very cautious taking advice from a salesman on anything. Some are unknowledgable, some are devious, and some are thoughtless and a few are wonderful. You won't know which one you got until months later.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #25

Very true. I view my payload as fairly generous for a half-ton, and 6700-7000 pounds is about max I can do assuming my family is in the truck w/ me and 15% tongue (I always use 15% as a worst case).

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #26

Hi Warren,
I'm now leaning towards the F150 3.5 ecoboost w/Max Tow & HD Payload PKG. Can you please tell me what engine & options you have on your's. Also have you added any aftermarket items to help with towing? (air bags?, etc).
Thanks,
Dan
dbandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #27

The max tow package comes with the Eco-Boost and it's plenty of power for the 27.5RLTS. I have the standard 6.5 bed. I think the max tow pkg includes a stronger axle. Payload rating is above the hitch weight of the 5th wheel. We don't have airbags, but I might add them if we start traveling off-road. I know the truck as equipped is rated at 11,000 pounds for a 5th wheel, per the Ford website. The 27.5 RLTS is well below that. The truck rests slightly below level (1-2 inches) unless I travel with the (rear) fresh water tank near full. But, that's also because I have about 300 lbs of cargo in the basement of the trailer, and another 100 lbs of tools, etc in the truck plus two people. The rear water weight is to help offset that. If I add bags I might use about 1-2 inches of lift.
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
The max tow package comes with the Eco-Boost and it's plenty of power for the 27.5RLTS. I have the standard 6.5 bed. I think the max tow pkg includes a stronger axle. Payload rating is above the hitch weight of the 5th wheel. We don't have airbags, but I might add them if we start traveling off-road. I know the truck as equipped is rated at 11,000 pounds for a 5th wheel, per the Ford website. The 27.5 RLTS is well below that. The truck rests slightly below level (1-2 inches) unless I travel with the (rear) fresh water tank near full. But, that's also because I have about 300 lbs of cargo in the basement of the trailer, and another 100 lbs of tools, etc in the truck plus two people. The rear water weight is to help offset that. If I add bags I might use about 1-2 inches of lift.
11,000 is probably the towing capacity, which is the least important number. As other have said, the cargo carrying capacity is what is important. Most of the time the cargo capacity runs out long before you run out of towing capacity. The yellow sticker on the drivers door post should show you your CCC as built. Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Take a look at the yellow/white sticker on your drivers door jamb. What number does it say after

The combined weight of occupancts and cargo should not exceed: _____lbs??

That is your payload.

Let's take my F150 for example --- 1813lbs

1813 - 550lbs (passengers) - 150lbs (fifth wheel hitch) = 1113lbs of payload assuming I don't throw anything else in my truck including a peanut butter sandwich.

1113 / 25% (typical 5'er pin weight) = 4452lbs fifth wheel, fully loaded.

That means a dry weight of like 3000lbs.

Not going to happen.

Max tow package is not heavy duty payload package.

The heavy duty payload package incl.
-upgraded 9.75 gearset
-upgraded springs
-upgraded rims
-upgraded cooler
-upgraded tires
**requires max trailer tow package on Ecoboost**
Old 02-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #30

My F150 says Max cargo/payload 1825. Our 2018 27.5RLTS spec's say it has a dry hitch weight of 1550 and an unloaded weight of 8045. Looks like I'm over by about 200 pounds on the payload, but I expect that with 300+ lbs of water behind the trailer wheels and a 40lb rear-bumper bike rack it gets pretty close to even. We also travel with most of our heaviest items (inside) towards the back of the trailer. YMMV.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #31

Quote:
My F150 says Max cargo/payload 1825. Our 2018 27.5RLTS spec's say it has a dry hitch weight of 1550 and an unloaded weight of 8045. Looks like I'm over by about 200 pounds on the payload, but I expect that with 300+ lbs of water behind the trailer wheels and a 40lb rear-bumper bike rack it gets pretty close to even. We also travel with most of our heaviest items (inside) towards the back of the trailer. YMMV.
If you have 1825 cargo capacity, you need to deduct passengers, your hitch, anything carried in the vehicle and the hitch weight. Best way to know how much your overweight is go to a Cat Scale and weigh it. I bet you much more over weight than you think. You have about 275 lbs after the stated tongue weight, which in reality will most likely be higher. 100 to 150 lbs for your hitch brings you down to 125 to 150 lbs. Not sure how many peeps you have but unless your a really skinny dude (which I'm not LOL ) your already over weight, and, if you carry anything in your truck your that also adds to your over weight. Also the listed tongue weight is typically empty trailer, anything you add inside clothes, food etc will continue to add to your tongue weight. Even propane.

I would take a trip to the scales and then determine if you feel safe or not. I have a 27 RLS TT and about the same cargo capacity as you and would not want to try to drag a 5er down the road.

Good Luck...

Old 02-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
If you have 1825 cargo capacity, you need to deduct passengers, your hitch, anything carried in the vehicle and the hitch weight. Best way to know how much your overweight is go to a Cat Scale and weigh it. I bet you much more over weight than you think. You have about 275 lbs after the stated tongue weight, which in reality will most likely be higher. 100 to 150 lbs for your hitch brings you down to 125 to 150 lbs. Not sure how many peeps you have but unless your a really skinny dude (which I'm not LOL ) your already over weight, and, if you carry anything in your truck your that also adds to your over weight. Also the listed tongue weight is typically empty trailer, anything you add inside clothes, food etc will continue to add to your tongue weight. Even propane.

I would take a trip to the scales and then determine if you feel safe or not. I have a 27 RLS TT and about the same cargo capacity as you and would not want to try to drag a 5er down the road.

Good Luck...

^This, and also don't forget that payload rating is as equipped from the factory anything you add aftermarket like running boards, bed covers, any and all accessories deduct from that payload number. For instance if you added 100# of running boards then you lose 100# of payload.

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #33

Quote:
1550 is the dry hitch weight.

Add propane tanks (on the front) 80lbs
Add camping chairs, hoses, axe, blocks, etc. etc. in that front stroage compartment...adds weight.
Add sheets on your bed, add clothes in the closets, etc. etc.

My guess is your pin weight is closer to 2000lbs.

Add driver and passenger to the truck. You could easily be 400+ pounds over your payload.

The F150 handles the load well, but it's still not rated for it.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post

Good Luck...
"A 5er" of similar weight and length as a TT will tow much better than the TT, so I don't understand your comment. I've driven our rig in strong crosswinds (West Texas), up and down mountains where the semi's were filling the right lane going 20mph up and down, on curvy 2-lane roads up and down hills, and I always feel safe. The cruise control is also very good while towing, and downshifts on downhills until the rpm's go above ~4k, and then applies braking as needed. I run the electric brake gain around 4.5 out of 10, and it's easy to adjust on the fly if more braking is needed. I've never needed to set it above 6. It's clear to me that Ford has done an excellent job of designing the F150 with max tow to do a great job towing.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #35

Quote:
"A 5er" of similar weight and length as a TT will tow much better than the TT, so I don't understand your comment. I've driven our rig in strong crosswinds (West Texas), up and down mountains where the semi's were filling the right lane going 20mph up and down, on curvy 2-lane roads up and down hills, and I always feel safe. The cruise control is also very good while towing, and downshifts on downhills until the rpm's go above ~4k, and then applies braking as needed. I run the electric brake gain around 4.5 out of 10, and it's easy to adjust on the fly if more braking is needed. I've never needed to set it above 6. It's clear to me that Ford has done an excellent job of designing the F150 with max tow to do a great job towing.
Its not a matter of dragging it down the road. It's a matter the vehicle may not be designed for the weight of a 5er. A TT tongue weigh will be half of a 5er. Only way to know if your within "limits" the mfg sets is to weigh it. There are threads on how to weigh to get all the results you need. Over weight can cause issues down the road a short piece with undue stress on components. From drive train, to axles, brakes etc. Do the math and only then can you see exactly where your at, and if it's within your scope of comfort. It's the 1% of towing that is the issue, when that sudden stop or sudden maneuver is needed to avoid something that is the issue.

Good Luck and let us know if you go to the Cat Scale. Be informative for everyone else.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:27 AM   #36

My experience with an F150 and an Eagle HT

I bought a Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS after I had purchased a 2015 F150 and before I fully understood pin weight. The F150 will tow it, no problem. I added supersprings to relieve any sag in the rear end and the truck sat prettty level. But I did the math on the payload and did not feel comfortable towing so close to the payload limits of the truck. We ended up buying a 96 F250 7.3 to tow the camper.
I was going to pair down to a single truck after I had paid down the F150 enough to break even on a trade. The Max Payload package is available for the F150 (3,000lbs), and the dealers are quick to confuse it with the Max Tow package. In the end I just replaced the F150 with a 2014 F250 Lariat 6.7. So now I can sell the old 7.3 and make some room in my driveway. So, if you find one with the MAX PAYLOAD package, you would be okay. They come only with 18" wheels and it might be hard finding one with all the tow package stuff. Don't trust the salepeople who only spout about the max tow rating. They don't know what they are talking about.

Good Luck! My wife and I have been very pleased otherwise with our Jayco Eagle HT.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3293.jpg   IMG_2113.jpg  
subpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #37

I know the way I load things up, I've got 500 lbs of humans plus 350+ lbs of gear in the truck before I ever hitch up the trailer.

I'm a huge fan of modern half-tons as tow vehicles, but it's incredibly easy to go over the rated payload.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, jayco jayfeather 22fqsw, jayfeather, towing