Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #1

TPO Roof

While performing a roof inspection today, I noticed that the TPM material around the AC opening has bubbled. Roof sheeting sounds brittle. How hard is it to replace? Does Jayco have a parts catalog?

2007 Jayco 23b
Randtheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What your referring to is actually a TPO roofing material, and do to the flat roofs on the 23B's along with the weight of the A/C, that area is prone to leaks if the A/C gasket isn't checked once in awhile.

The repair difficulty depends on how much damage has been incurred. You my want to see if you can remove the A/C cover from the interior ceiling for further inspection.

One problem with TPO roofing material is that it has a fleece backing and can wick the moisture in different directions, so you may want to check the entire roofing surface. Also check interior walls and ceiling for and signs of raised "dimples", this is a sign of moisture damage.

Check your outside Filon surface for any signs of delamination (ripples/bubbles) as well. Doing a complete HTT inspection will confirm the extent of damage.

The best out come would be is that a new A/C gasket be installed and the wood around the A/C being repaired and/or supported. Worst scenario is that the moisture has damaged other areas of the roof which would require removal/replacement of the TPO material and possibly some of the wood roofing material (big job).

Yes, Jayco has a parts department, but not aware of an actual parts catalog.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Thanks Bob. Looks like it is all one sheet and the felt is on the underside.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you do decide to tackle the repair job, I would recommend that you replace the TPO roofing material with a EPDM material (no fleece backing) which is more widely used in the RV industry. Jayco no longer uses the TPO material.

My 05 Eagle had major moisture damage a number of years ago, I had to replace all my roof sheathing, some trusses, and I also had the TPO material but went with the EPDM material as a replacement.

I still have the same Eagle TT, and everything worked out fine.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #5

My research indicates during model year 2012 Jayco started using Alpha-Ply roofing membrane. I know the change happened mid-model year since I have had (2) '12 Jayco JayFlights. My 26BH was built in April 2012 and had EPDM, my 29QBH built in Jan 2012 has Alpha-Ply. I also believe Alpha-Ply is a Alpha Systems trademark name for a new formulation of TPO.

Whether or not Alpha-Ply is felt lined, I don't know...but I just wanted to share that I believe Jayco is back to using TPO.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #6

I have been roofing my entire life. Never roofed a camper. As far as membranes go, the fleece does wick. But as far as quality goes, EPDM{non-reinforced} is the lowest quality, least expensive and uses a tape and primer system for seams and penetrations. It can be had in white but most is black and can get extrememly hot. TPO is next in qualilty and comes at a higher cost but is not as maliable as EPDM so the installers dont appreciate it. The seams and penetrations are heat welded to form a uniform sheet when complete. TPO is reinforced giving it a much greater tear and puncture resistance. i have a factory installed TPO roof. CPVC is what is used mostly now and is a reinforced membrane that is heat welded also. It has the highest quality resistance to sun damage and a very high puncture/tear resistance. My AC leaked on the previous owner. It helped me get a good deal. I just tightened up the AC gasket and have had no leaks since. Our very first night in our first camper in Ocracoke NC, we weathered one of the worst thunder storms of last summer. Quite and experience for first time campers in a new/used camper. I have about a 1'x1' delaminated area on the membrane that does not seam to be getting worse. I only worry about flapping while traveling. When the time comes for a new roof, I will be using fully adhered CPVC. I have been contemplating doing a reseal of all the trim and pentrations soon. The TPO should last 15 yrs + if maintained properly.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I apologize in advance to the OP for drifting a little off subject.....,

Jayco's 2014 model year specifications (web site) one will find referenced three different roofing materials being utilized, it's model specific. The three materials are: "Alpha-Ply", "DiFlex", and "Rubber" (EPDM).

I recall that the Alpha-Ply material was a thinner/lighter material then the EPDM (rubber) material.

A recent JOF thread on Jayco roofing materials:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...pha-ply&page=2

I don't believe any of the roofing materials presently utilized by Jayco has the fleece backing.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #8

I appreciate the advice and will be looking at tackling it a bit more on Saturday.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:12 AM   #9

Help

I have a 2018 jayco jayflight 28rls all season package any idea what kinda roof it has?
Jayco home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco home View Post
I have a 2018 jayco jayflight 28rls all season package any idea what kinda roof it has?
TPO, that is what JAYCO has been using for the last few years.

Magnum Truss Roof System with seamless DiFlex II material

Diflex II™ is a non-fleece backed TPO membrane from Dicor
Old 10-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #11

This thread is over 6 years old. My TPO roof has no fleece backing, is 3 years old and still looks new. A vast majority of new RV's have TPO roofs. I was a bit apprehensive when I first bought my RV, but now I am glad it is TPO because it doesn't have the white, chalky residue that EPDM roofs are known for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco home View Post
If you remove the trim piece around the exhaust fan in the bathroom you will see excess roofing material there. If it is the same color on both sides, top & bottom, it is TPO. If it is black on the bottom it is EPDM.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote