Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #1

Trailer for Lexus 2007 RX350 recommendation

I am newbie and never owned trailer yet.
I am looking into getting a trailer that can sleep 3+ adults with safely towed by RX350.
Which models should i consider buying?

Thank you
locbaohoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #2

A pop up
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #3

I agree with a pop up. It will give you a great camping experience and you can begin to learn how to tow properly. Get quality mirror extensions, brake controller watch videos on YouTube on, camper sway, proper towing, don’t do this towing etc. Understand that you can’t go 75mph towing just because your vehicle can…. Understand the phrase:tail wagging the dog. Good luck
Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
Site Team

The absolute max it's rated to tow is 3500 lbs., and only if it was built with the optional tow package option.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
What are the models for the pop up?
My wife was looking at the 145rb or 154bh. Are they ok for rx350?
My suv is not factory tow epuiped. Can i install after market one?
Thanks again!
Old 07-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I agree with a pop up. It will give you a great camping experience and you can begin to learn how to tow properly. Get quality mirror extensions, brake controller watch videos on YouTube on, camper sway, proper towing, don’t do this towing etc. Understand that you can’t go 75mph towing just because your vehicle can…. Understand the phrase:tail wagging the dog. Good luck
Thanks for the advice, i will definitely look into these.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #7

If you want a hard sided trailer rather than a traditional popup, consider the A-frame style (either Chalet or Aliner). My wife and I pulled a Chalet for 10 years with a Subaru Outback (tow rating 2000) and were very happy with it, but you have to get along VERY well with your partner, as it is tight. Other options would be something like a Scamp, which you can get under 2000 lb and should be able to pull.
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Understand that you can’t go 75mph towing just because your vehicle can…. Understand the phrase:tail wagging the dog. Good luck
Actually the reason you can't do 75 is that the ST tires are only rated for 65 mph max.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
If you want a hard sided trailer rather than a traditional popup, consider the A-frame style (either Chalet or Aliner). My wife and I pulled a Chalet for 10 years with a Subaru Outback (tow rating 2000) and were very happy with it, but you have to get along VERY well with your partner, as it is tight. Other options would be something like a Scamp, which you can get under 2000 lb and should be able to pull.
Thanks Rick for great suggestion and your experience!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Actually the reason you can't do 75 is that the ST tires are only rated for 65 mph max.
Another good input, thank you!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #11
Site Team

The RX350 Tow package includes an engine oil cooler, HD alternator, and HD fan, with the transmission cooler and HD radiator. Not easily or cheaply retrofitted.

Perhaps you could contact Lexus, and with your VIN number, get a copy of the build sheet, to see if your car is equipped with the Tow Package.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 07-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The RX350 Tow package includes an engine oil cooler, HD alternator, and HD fan, with the transmission cooler and HD radiator. Not easily or cheaply retrofitted.

Perhaps you could contact Lexus, and with your VIN number, get a copy of the build sheet, to see if your car is equipped with the Tow Package.
Wow much more than i thought, thank you!
Old 07-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

I just checked with the dealer and they confirmed that my suv has the tow prep package installed already. The qoute for OEM rear hitch is $550. Can the after market hitch/ball do the job ? Thanks
Old 07-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #14

Prob available on ebay/amazon for less than $200
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #15
Site Team

Shop around. 550.00 seems high. U-haul is 165.00 plus 30.00 for a ball and mount. There's videos for installing the hitch, and wiring harness. You Tube is great for that.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 07-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #16

Thank you both. I will shop around per your suggestions. Also might need to have height adjustable mount and probably WD with sway bars as well.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #17

We just purchased a 145rb we tow it with a 2014 Ford Edge. It seams like it wants to be around 60mph when towing. As for the 145rb you are not going to sleep 3 adults in there the 154rb has the bunks we almost got one but the wife wouldn't let me take the bunks out to make a dinette. I love the 145RB, I would love to have gotten the 154RB just for a little more room. We left the table down and got a mattress topper. We got 2 folding tables from Walmart. I'm 5'9" and can use the shower no problem I can sit on the toilet with the door closed having a toilet is worth the size and weight of the TT over a pop-up . Get the 13.5 AC unless you have a low clearance area you are storing it, you can cool the trailer very nicely and a bonus the area the side mount goes is a little storage self with netting great for storing chips, bread, ect. In this size tt I really didn't see the weight savings of the laminated style like the Hummingbird. I researched TT's for about 3 years before got the 145RB its a great upgrade from a pop-up Let us know what you get. Happy Camping Safe Travels
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdon Journeys View Post
We just purchased a 145rb we tow it with a 2014 Ford Edge. It seams like it wants to be around 60mph when towing. As for the 145rb you are not going to sleep 3 adults in there the 154rb has the bunks we almost got one but the wife wouldn't let me take the bunks out to make a dinette. I love the 145RB, I would love to have gotten the 154RB just for a little more room. We left the table down and got a mattress topper. We got 2 folding tables from Walmart. I'm 5'9" and can use the shower no problem I can sit on the toilet with the door closed having a toilet is worth the size and weight of the TT over a pop-up . Get the 13.5 AC unless you have a low clearance area you are storing it, you can cool the trailer very nicely and a bonus the area the side mount goes is a little storage self with netting great for storing chips, bread, ect. In this size tt I really didn't see the weight savings of the laminated style like the Hummingbird. I researched TT's for about 3 years before got the 145RB its a great upgrade from a pop-up Let us know what you get. Happy Camping Safe Travels
Thanks Debdon for the encouragement and sharing experience with the 145rb.
We were chicken out in getting this TT, mostly with safety towing a TT which we have never done it before.
BTW is your a Baja edition? What are the towing equipment you have? How is towing w your Ford Edge, uphill downhill, offroad, windy conditions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #19

The Edge seams to handle it fine if you take into consideration your maxing out your TV. Speed demon its not like I said 55-60 sometimes 65 is its sweet spot all the better to enjoy the trip and see where you are going through. We have a WDH and Prodigy brake controller. What WDH I have I don't know honestly I got what ever the RV dealership had. The Prodigy is great, I like having a separate hand controller for braking vs the Curt which uses your phone. Prodigy is for one trailer applications the Curt seams to be focused on multiple trailers i.e. landscaping business. We did have to take the Edge to the dealer to have the 4 wire installed My RV dealer Keystone RV said they wouldn't do it. Something about newer wiring lower voltage then the older stuff I used to. I am glad they did this instead of hacking into my harness. I live in the Baltimore D.C. area nothing too major in hill we are however hoping to take it down to Skyline Drive and the upper part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We did take it across South Mt not big but enough to let me know that I felt the Edge would handle the Appalachians. I not going to use the Edge for extended long duration trips. That is why I am going to get a new F150. No its not the Baja no need for that if I want to I can flip the axel myself.
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #20

Many here, including myself, like the Anderson WDH for the smaller trailers. We've had ours for 3 years now and have traveled to Yellowstone and back through some windy areas without problems.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote