Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22
Trailer for Lexus 2007 RX350 recommendation

I am newbie and never owned trailer yet.
I am looking into getting a trailer that can sleep 3+ adults with safely towed by RX350.
Which models should i consider buying?

Thank you
__________________

locbaohoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Baton rouge, La.
Posts: 56
A pop up
__________________

dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Colorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 157
I agree with a pop up. It will give you a great camping experience and you can begin to learn how to tow properly. Get quality mirror extensions, brake controller watch videos on YouTube on, camper sway, proper towing, don’t do this towing etc. Understand that you can’t go 75mph towing just because your vehicle can…. Understand the phrase:tail wagging the dog. Good luck
__________________
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do harm on their behalf.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark
Posts: 1,915
The absolute max it's rated to tow is 3500 lbs., and only if it was built with the optional tow package option.
__________________
2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
What are the models for the pop up?
My wife was looking at the 145rb or 154bh. Are they ok for rx350?
My suv is not factory tow epuiped. Can i install after market one?
Thanks again!
locbaohoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I agree with a pop up. It will give you a great camping experience and you can begin to learn how to tow properly. Get quality mirror extensions, brake controller watch videos on YouTube on, camper sway, proper towing, don’t do this towing etc. Understand that you can’t go 75mph towing just because your vehicle can…. Understand the phrase:tail wagging the dog. Good luck
Thanks for the advice, i will definitely look into these.
locbaohoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 47
If you want a hard sided trailer rather than a traditional popup, consider the A-frame style (either Chalet or Aliner). My wife and I pulled a Chalet for 10 years with a Subaru Outback (tow rating 2000) and were very happy with it, but you have to get along VERY well with your partner, as it is tight. Other options would be something like a Scamp, which you can get under 2000 lb and should be able to pull.
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Understand that you canít go 75mph towing just because your vehicle canÖ. Understand the phrase:tail wagging the dog. Good luck
Actually the reason you can't do 75 is that the ST tires are only rated for 65 mph max.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
If you want a hard sided trailer rather than a traditional popup, consider the A-frame style (either Chalet or Aliner). My wife and I pulled a Chalet for 10 years with a Subaru Outback (tow rating 2000) and were very happy with it, but you have to get along VERY well with your partner, as it is tight. Other options would be something like a Scamp, which you can get under 2000 lb and should be able to pull.
Thanks Rick for great suggestion and your experience!
locbaohoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Actually the reason you can't do 75 is that the ST tires are only rated for 65 mph max.
Another good input, thank you!
__________________

locbaohoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.