Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

ULTRA LITE RV's ???

What qualifies as an ultra-lite? Why does Jayco have multi lines of Ultr-lite TT's? Purchased a White Hawk 30DSRE that came factory rated as something like 6500lbs delivered and is considered an ultra lite. Think the term is just a marketing thing kind of like calling potato chip bags "large". Is there somekind of standard or is it manuf's choice?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #2

I'm under the impression that its because of the construction. Aluminum structured walls with fibreglass exterior makes them lighter than a similar models of same size with wood framing and aluminum exterior. Though there are probably other reasons.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

I think the aluminum frames and fiberglass sides are heavier than the wood and aluminum skin. Fiberglass sides = heavy and aluminum sides = light. To make a trailer truly light it would take an aluminum frame and skin. They could call that ultra ultra lite.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it's not standard across manufacturers at all.

Here's an attempt at explaining what would generally be recognized as a Ultra Lite Weight Trailer

http://www.lightweighttrailer.net/wh...an-ultra-lite/

It would be interesting to see a Swift SLX built with aluminum frame and side walls. I guess it would drive costs up a little.

Best regards,
Doug

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #5

Livin' Lite RV makes an all aluminum ultra lite. The floors are aluminum and even the cabinet frames. I think that could be the ultra ultra lite.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #6

I get a laugh out of the marketing that these trailers are somehow light. There is nothing light about my 4400lb Jay feather. While the construction might be lighter then traditional designs the problem is the contents. Too much heavy wood cabinets and cupboards and features that are designed more for low cost then low weight.

I'm sure you could reduce the weight of my trailer by 1000lbs by going through it item by item with an emphasis on light weight materials. Problem then would be it would likely be priced outside the range people would accept for this size of trailer.

I'd be curious to look through some European Caravans and see how they do it these days. My old 71 British made Sprite Musketeer only weighed 1300 lbs empty and had a gross weight of 1850. You could tow it with pretty much anything.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #7

Our 197 Is anything but "ultra lite". A fellow at the pumps asked me how my old Suburban pulled the trailer. I commented on the fact that it was a heavy little bu**er, and that the "Ultra Lite" applied only to the decal.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote