Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: How long did yours last or how long have you had it?
1-2 Years 10 33.33%
3-4 Years 6 20.00%
5-6 Years 4 13.33%
7-8 Years 4 13.33%
9-10 Years 3 10.00%
11+ Years 3 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #1

Ultral Lite Longevity

Hey Gang,

Just wondering how long these things tend to last if maintenance is performed regularly? On another forum I'm getting a lot of 'Ultra Lites aren't built as strong and won't hold up long term'. Now, I'm not asking about full-timing, but I'm asking about say 30 nights/year? A forum moderator on another forum is saying no way these things go 7 years.

I was sort of hoping the Jayco Ultra Lites would. So, how long have you had or how long have you gotten out of your Jayco Ultra Lite?
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #2

I traded in my 2009 Kodiak 25QS at the end of last summer... I had bought it because I was limited with regards to towing capacity.

I used it exactly for that 30-35 days a year... it did travel some distance... minimum 1000miles per year

I maintained it extremely well... actually the dealer was amazed of how it looked when I rolled it in... but after only 5 years, and with that great care and maintenance, it was already showing structural damages. It had a water leak, that I couldn't have noticed.

The floor, the walls, the suspension...everything is built to save weight... so everything is cheaper built... and on top of things they often sell these at a higher price, because of the "lightweight" approach and materials used.

My father also had a ultralight weight RV which he also took good care of, it was written-off by his insurance company after 7years. He had endured a violent thundestorm one night while on a trip and when he got back home he noticed that the RV looked crooked... He got it checked out, and the structure had been damaged because of the wind... the walls were out of alignment and weren't square with the floor anymore!

But never again will I touch an ultra light (nor fiberglass exteriors).
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

Eeesh ....
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #4

Have had our 2007 30 U since new. Have had some minor issues to date. Worst was a leak in the front cap that showed up last summer, after a big rain storm. Found a pin hole leak in the caulk at the roof. Fixed it. Then noticed more de-lam a few weeks later and traced it to the marker lights. All the marker light screws were rusty. The water got into the lens cover and followed the screws. I switched out all the markers (for led, look great) and found about 1/2 of the rest had some rust on them. The front does not show to bad till the sun heats it up then it stands out like a sore thumb.
Will definitely move to a heavier built unit when DW says we can ditch the bunk house. (Another 2 years probably.)
Dwilcox353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

something just got removed off our list
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #6

Your poll question is rather slanted. " How long have you had it ?" is very different from "how long did it last?".

Shouldn't combine them in the same question.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
Your poll question is rather slanted. " How long have you had it ?" is very different from "how long did it last?".

Shouldn't combine them in the same question.
X2. It skews the results. Only had my ultra light for 5 months so not ready to think anything could statt going wrong.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #8

Yes, you guys are right. I should have worded it better.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #9

I believe that water intrusion is the main issue with how long a hard sided trailer will last.

Is there some belief or fact that heavier trailers are better sealed against water intrusion?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #10

Some on the other forums equate lighter weight to less robust build quality. Others vigorously argue against the point. I would HOPE that lighweight does not equate into cheaply made and short lived.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #11

My last TT weighed less then a ton and was 42 years when I sold it last spring. Weight has nothing to do with how long it will last.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #12

I have had my X213 for 2 years and knock on wood, I only had a power jack issue and a loose trim panel that needed repairs under warranty. We are loving it.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #13

We had a 2005 Jay Feather LGT 27P which we bought new in 2004. We stored it winters in an unheated pole barn. Used it for 9 summers with no issues with the structure or finish etc.

Our only real issue was a serious electrical that I repaired.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:04 AM   #14

I had an '03 Ultra-lite (another brand) for 11 years. It survived a collision with a wild turkey (the bird, not the liquor), a falling tree which took out the awning and both bathroom vents, a trip from Michigan to Texas, 6 trips from Michigan to Nebraska, and numerous trips all over Michigan. It did have a leak in it somewhere (I think where the spare tire mounted to the back wall) that ruined the floor after only a couple of years. I ended up replacing the subfloor and flooring. I got a pretty good trade-in deal for it, and the dealer sold it in about 3 weeks.

If my experience is any indication, they can last a long time if properly maintained. That said, it is just my opinion that they tend to be of lower quality. Many are also made by "fly-by-night" companies, that have gotten into the "Ultra-lite Craze", and folded once a few problems show up. I also believe the quality issues are disappearing, as manufacturers get more experience with the unique issues of Ultra-lite trailers, and the bad ones get weeded out. Looks to me like Jayco is leading the way, here.

JMHO!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #15

Just puchased a 2011 x23j JayFeather last year. Loved the layed out. Jayco has discontinued this model, they went back to the dinette area in front of the bunk area instead of the side like we preferred. Keeping our fingers crossed that this is not one of the "bad ones" they have weeded out.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #16

Whitehawks appear to be fairly well built, however have not been on the market long enough to determine their longevity.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #17

My '06 23B says "Ultra Lite Weight" on the side so I'm chiming in on the poll. I'm the 3rd owner and it stays inside a heated building when not camping. The first 2 owners stored it in an unheated building in the off season and in their yards during camping season.

No floor issues, delamination or other problems. All the doors and windows fit and work as they should. The trailer has a skeleton made of welded aluminum tubing...not a lot of it but nonetheless and vacuum laminated stress skin construction per Jayco.

The only issues I've had so far have been the result of low skilled labor and typical low grade materials used widely in the RV industry. That's my story for what it's worth.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #18

One thing I notice about trailers in general; you do not see a lot that are 10+ years old. I see a fair number of older motor homes and 5th wheels, but not travel trailers. I tend to try to keep my vehicles for 20 years and my goal for the HTT is for 10 years. I think there is a strong correlation between ensuring proper maintenance and the health of the TT. If I was buying an old unit, I would go over it with a fine tooth comb starting at the roof looking at caulking, and trying to determine how many different layers of caulk I could find. That will be a good indicator someone did good maintenance.

My parents sold their last ultra light after 11 trouble free years. It was still in fine shape.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
One thing I notice about trailers in general; you do not see a lot that are 10+ years old. I see a fair number of older motor homes and 5th wheels, but not travel trailers. I tend to try to keep my vehicles for 20 years and my goal for the HTT is for 10 years. I think there is a strong correlation between ensuring proper maintenance and the health of the TT. If I was buying an old unit, I would go over it with a fine tooth comb starting at the roof looking at caulking, and trying to determine how many different layers of caulk I could find. That will be a good indicator someone did good maintenance.

My parents sold their last ultra light after 11 trouble free years. It was still in fine shape.
I think most people including many on this forum are terrified of buying a used TT therefore explaining all the new ones at the CG. It's not really any different than folks buying (or leasing) a new car every 2 years. Everybody wants new things with all the latest WiFi and electric awnings. Many people who buy TT's leave them parked under a tree in the back yard most of their lives and rarely maintain them.

The highest quality piece of equipment will fall in to disrepair with continued neglect. Ultra-lites in my opinion are no different.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
A forum moderator on another forum is saying no way these things go 7 years.
Shows how much that guy knows. We had our '03 Kiwi 17a for 10 years. We bought it new. Never any real issues. We had one small seam leak in a roof seam due to it drying out at about 7 years, but it was easily fixed with Eternabond tape. We got a fair trade on it and the dealer sold it within a month. That trailer easily has 5 - 10 more years in it.

I plan on getting the same or more out of our X20E. A trailer is only going to last as long as how you take care of it. Just like a car.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote