Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2022, 10:12 AM   #1

Variations in 2022 Jay Feather Micro 166FBS builds

I'm curious about some differences I can see in various 2022 166FBS builds. I can see at least two obvious ones. In the 360 walkaround there are 4 drawers (2x2) under the television, and some dealer videos/pictures show 2 wide drawers, and also in the 360 there is a drawer under the refrigerator, but hovering over the caption says "Drawer no longer available."

In dealer videos with the wider drawers in at least one case the refrigerator drawer is not there, but I'm not sure if the two differences always coincide.

I have pictures of the unit I'm getting - it is a "lightly used" unit being transferred form an Iowa dealer to my dealer in California - and it matches the look in the 360; 4 drawers and the one under the refrigerator.

Among other things I'm curious about what is in the space that missing drawer occupied, if anyone has a rig without it. It doesn't look like the refrigerator sits any lower, there is just a blank panel there.

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #2

If you can try to get your camera back there and see if it’s just an empty spot. In my case I had an electrical outlet ( next to the stove)so I moved it to the left and put in a drawer for silverware. Now I have a stack of 4 just like at home.
Pulled the stove out and moved the wave in its place. Use two portable butane burners to cook on + take them outside and or to the beach.
Outlet under the knives is for our induction cook top if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
535C1B19-514D-4E9B-8A29-22601F0FA235.jpg   3E92A7D7-E825-42AF-BF84-F97FCB1DE2DA.jpg  
Old 06-11-2022, 11:11 AM   #3

In the 166, the pictures below show what I'm talking about. The one with the drawer under the refrigerator is the unit I'm getting, while the one without a drawer is from a dealer website.
Attached Thumbnails
withdrawer.jpg   withoutdrawer.jpg  

Old 06-12-2022, 08:11 AM   #4

Mine has the drawer. Only a guess but since its over the heater maybe theyre worried about someone storing firecrackers there
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:17 AM   #5

My October 2021 build has the drawer under the absorption refrigerator. I also have the 4 drawers under the TV. As a side note, we looked at a Starcraft Super Lite Maxx, which I understood is a similar unit and corporation "cousin" to Jayco Micro, and it had the 2 drawers under the TV.
dougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:46 AM   #6

Do you not have outdoor refridge? That is space under 2 drawers below TV.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
Do you not have outdoor refridge? That is space under 2 drawers below TV.
Sorry, I may have confused the issue by mentioning absorption, that's my inside fridge. Yes I do have the outside 110v fridge under the 4 drawers under the TV. By the way the 4 drawers are 2 on top of each other, so they are the same total height as the 2 wider ones are that the OP saw.
dougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:58 AM   #8

Below are the 2-drawer, 4-drawer variants. Other differences in various units I've noticed include Furrion or Connexx TV, and at least 3 different sinks. Both appear to be based on supply-chain availability, while the drawer/no drawer under the refrigerator remains a mystery. My unit is supposedly arriving in California today, so hope to have by mid-week next week.
Attached Thumbnails
2drawer.jpg   4drawer.jpg  

Old 06-18-2022, 09:12 AM   #9

I hadn't looked at the Starcraft. Interesting similarities and differences. Obvious outside ones include a square tube bumper on the Starcraft vs the no-bumper, under tube that we were talking about on the Jay; 15 inch wheels on the Starcraft vs 16, no brush bars on the Starcraft. Inside at least two: 2-burner stove on the Starcraft vs 3 on the Jay, and the absorption refrigerator is 8 cu ft vs 16 in the Jay. Lots of other small differences.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #10

Mine had Connex TV, and stainless sinks which made my wife very happy. Also fold down drink holder/ armrest table in couch. Two drawers too. Pretty happy with those suprises.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:31 AM   #11

I saw one unit pictured with the stainless, but that is apparently rare. Most have the "downset" (don't know what to call it) white sink that you can see in the second picture of my first post; mine has a drop in plastic that you can see in the first picture, probably the latest and cheapest variety.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:10 AM   #12

There could also be a difference depending on which plant it came out of, Indiana or Idaho.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #13
EJH

I have the Highland Ridge version, which is like the Starcraft. I have 2 wide drawers under the TV and no drawer under the fridge. I do have a larger 8 cu ft fridge (gas/110V) made by Norcold that extends to where the drawer would be.

WRT the under TV drawers, two wide is better for storage. You don't lose the middle area for mounting rails. As far as the drawer under the fridge, if I had the smaller 6 cu ft fridge in the Jayco version, I would want that drawer for more usable space. My guess it is cost cutting leaving it out.

FWIW, I have a very long list of differences between the Jayco version and the Starcaft/HR version of the 166FBS. Most is cosmetic, but some pros/cons with either version. We got the HR because it was available.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #14
EJH

HR version

Here are a few pictures of my Highland Ridge interior for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20211203_234846461.jpg   PXL_20211203_234853156.jpg  
Old 06-21-2022, 02:29 PM   #15

You are certainly right that availability is a big factor. We all have our "must haves" and "would like to haves." After I decided on the FBS form factor, I was not necessarily brand sensitive but I decided a 12V refrigerator was a must have. I have had a number of RVs in the past with absorption, both Norcold and Dometic, and I've had problems with more than one. Lost a cooling unit (Sulfur everywhere behind the fridge) about halfway down BC from Canada. No fun at all. Got it replaced in Portland.

So, I gravitated to the Geo Pro 19FBS because they always have a 12V refrigerator. Trouble is 1) it is only 5.3 cu ft, and 2) I generally liked most everything else more in the Jayco.

Reasonable number of 166FBS units within 500 miles of me, but all have absorption refrigerators as far as I can tell (more about that in a moment). Nearest I can find with a 12V is in Twin Falls, ID at a Bish location, which is 800 miles. There are 4 at Camping Worlds in Utah, and one in Colorado, and then you have to get to Texas before there are more. I called the nearest CW (Redding, 160 miles) and asked if they could bring in a unit from another CW. Answer was "it depends." In this case, no, they are not authorized to sell Jayco, but they could bring in a used one. So I worked a deal on a used 2022 that is in Iowa. Supposed to be at Redding this past Saturday, but all of a sudden I'm having trouble getting a straight answer. We will see.

[rant]I do not understand why so many dealer sites are so bad. There is a Geo Pro at Best RV in Turlock that is listed as 1 foot 7 inches in length! In the case of the Jaycos in Utah, I'm only guessing that they have 12V because they don't say, but the pictures show them. Only problem there is that clearly the same pictures are used on more than one unit! I'm a business owner who does his own web programming, ans my business has been on the internet since 1997. I would be embarrased if products and photos were as bad as some of these dealer sites![/rant]

Old 06-21-2022, 02:36 PM   #16
EJH

The GeoPro is the closet to this 166FBS floorplan, and maybe the only similar model. I am surprised more don't copy this floorplan actually. We love the sofa over a dinette. I also agree that the GeoPro lacked compared to the Jayco (Starcraft/HR) model. I do think the GeoPro is lighter though, which can be good or bad, lol.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBr View Post
You are certainly right that availability is a big factor. We all have our "must haves" and "would like to haves." After I decided on the FBS form factor, I was not necessarily brand sensitive but I decided a 12V refrigerator was a must have. I have had a number of RVs in the past with absorption, both Norcold and Dometic, and I've had problems with more than one. Lost a cooling unit (Sulfur everywhere behind the fridge) about halfway down BC from Canada. No fun at all. Got it replaced in Portland.

So, I gravitated to the Geo Pro 19FBS because they always have a 12V refrigerator. Trouble is 1) it is only 5.3 cu ft, and 2) I generally liked most everything else more in the Jayco.

Reasonable number of 166FBS units within 500 miles of me, but all have absorption refrigerators as far as I can tell (more about that in a moment). Nearest I can find with a 12V is in Twin Falls, ID at a Bish location, which is 800 miles. There are 4 at Camping Worlds in Utah, and one in Colorado, and then you have to get to Texas before there are more. I called the nearest CW (Redding, 160 miles) and asked if they could bring in a unit from another CW. Answer was "it depends." In this case, no, they are not authorized to sell Jayco, but they could bring in a used one. So I worked a deal on a used 2022 that is in Iowa. Supposed to be at Redding this past Saturday, but all of a sudden I'm having trouble getting a straight answer. We will see.

[rant]I do not understand why so many dealer sites are so bad. There is a Geo Pro at Best RV in Turlock that is listed as 1 foot 7 inches in length! In the case of the Jaycos in Utah, I'm only guessing that they have 12V because they don't say, but the pictures show them. Only problem there is that clearly the same pictures are used on more than one unit! I'm a business owner who does his own web programming, ans my business has been on the internet since 1997. I would be embarrased if products and photos were as bad as some of these dealer sites![/rant]
If youíre dealing with CW in Redding, beware. I was just there today and, as usual, it wasnít a pleasant experience. But that seems to go for most CWs. There is a Gander next door that does sell Jaycos and, even though it is CW-owned, seems to have a better philosophy and attitude than its sibling next door. More like when it was a family-owned dealer before selling out. If things go south, you might see if they can order a new one.
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:03 PM   #18

The unit we are getting arrived from Iowa over the weekend, but was delivered to Gander instead of CW. Sales Manager has Monday/Tuesday off, so when I called him this morning to find out what was happening he tracked it down. Will go into their shop for inspection today or tomorrow, and we have an appointment to pick it up Friday afternoon (will actually stay in their lot on power that night, so drive back Saturday morning before temps hit 100). A dealer, to me, has little value except for making the sale. Through prior 5 RVs I'm having trouble remembering taking one even once to a dealer for anything. I would rather do it myself; I have the tools, and if I don't know how to do something Google is my friend!

Old 06-22-2022, 06:58 PM   #19

Congratulations! Gander has been good, so it sounds like you are OK. Youíll want to make sure the AC is working Friday night as itís been over 100* this week and 105* is forecast for Saturday!
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote