Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Very excited, new X17C

Yesterday we bought our first camping trailer after years of tent camping. I had identified Jayco as manufacturer I really liked but my first dealer experience nearly eliminated them from consideration. Long story short, after nearly pulling the trigger on a Passport, I looked for another Jayco dealer to see if the result would be different. It was and I'm very excited.

We narrowed our choices down to an X20E and the X17C. The X17C met our needs, the X20E added a little luxury via a couch and more room. Ultimately we bought the X17C due to a combination of factors that included cost, our needs, our type and amount of use, and our tow vehicle (ease of towing). I have no regrets but I did love the X20E floor plan.

I have two things initially that I'd be interested in hearing from forum members on with more to come in the future. 1) Any X17C tips that you can pass along would be much appreciated. We're going to Yellowstone this summer and we'll have some practice trips in April and May. So all guidance from the trailer to trip itinerary is welcomed.

2) I've learned that when it comes to towing, opinions abound. Most people I spoke with said our 2006 Pathfinder (6000 lb. max, 600 lb. tongue, V6, 112.2" wheelbase) would have had no trouble towing the X20E (@22', 3665 lbs. dry). I would have a WD hitch with sway control as well. But a couple of very strong opinions within the family told me I'd be nuts to try it. They insisted that it would not be a good towing experience. It doesn't really matter, but I do wonder what others here with similar units believe. Would I have been okay?

Thanks.
Trout34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on the new rig, Trout and welcome. I don`t have a hybrid and never been to Yellowstone (but would sure like to go someday) so I can`t help ya there. I have camped with a buddy who has one about the same size as yours and they really like it and use it a lot.(he tows with an F-150) In fact, he camped next to me this Fall with it down to 24 degrees one night and made out just fine running just an electric heater, so not being able to camp in a hybrid in cold weather as I hear from time to time is a myth. Of course he has all the special doo dads that cover up the tent ends and fans inside for condensation, sleeping bags, etc. I also know little about the Pathfinder but since you already own it, hitch up and give it a good tryout. I suspect your reluctant family members are concerned about the wheelbase and engine (V6?)? Your numbers look pretty good, of course real world towing is the real test for any combo. Good luck, Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #3

Congratulations on the new Jayco!

We moved up to a 17Z from a pop up last year and have been very satisfied. We tow with a 2007 V6 4Runner using a WDH/Sway control and have not problems (gas mileage went south but expected that much.) With the sway control we haven't had any problems when a big rig passes. I don't see you having any issues with your Pathfinder.

Also bought the Solar covers from Popup Gizmos as the tent ends can heat up if you are somewhere without shade but haven't got out yet this year.

Our last trip was up in the Blue Ridge mountains in the middle of October but the furnace kept things warm.

Yellowstone, huh? I want to get out there but it's about 2K from NC and the better half isn't keen on that long a trip. (one of these days)
wl_perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

Welcome to the Jayco Owner Forum Trout34! We almost bought a Keystone Passport but rv reviews encouraged us to go with the Jayco. We've been to Yellowstone. Do you kayak? There is a really neat little little lake near the geysor (sort of) where you can kayak in a realllly neat hot spring area. As for towing, others here will address that for you, but they will want to know what the gvwr is vs the dry weight! Congrats on the new tt!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #5

Really appreciate the feedback

First, thanks for the welcome. Second, I've already got some good information I didn't have - fans for condensation, solar covers, and a kayaking spot at Yellowstone. Great stuff. Keep it coming.

On the towing, the 4 Runner comparison has to be very close to the setup I'll be running and its good to hear of your results. I told my 14-year old son that if the Pathfinder had trouble with the X17C (2925 uvw/3500 gvw) when its rated for 6000 lbs. that I was hooking it up to his behind and we were pushing the Pathfinder off the highest peak we could find.

I think we'll be fine with the X17C and love every chance we get to camp. I just may wonder for a while if the X20E would have been too much (3665 uvw/4750 gvw).

Let me toss out another basic question. I want to tow water tanks empty. Do most campgrounds (state, national) have water sources that you can hook a hose up to and fill the tanks appropriately when you arrive but before you go to your campsite. I've seen the dump stations. Do campers use the water fountains/spickets that are usually spread through the park? I probably won't go to too many full hookup sites.

Thanks again for your hospitality.

Tad
Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #6

Congrats!

Congrats on your new HTT. We just upgraded from a Viking PUP to the Jayco X20E. We pick it up in early May. We have a 2004 I6 Trailblazer - 4WD that is rated for 6100 lbs. and have been told from a local hitch place as well as from many peeps on these forums that we should be ok. We will install a WD hitch with sway control as well.

The difference in cost for us between the 17Z and the X20E was only about $1000 so we went for it.

Someone on another forum told me to use a 1000 Pound Rule which simply specifies I need 1000 pounds more maximum towing capacity than the trailer really weighs sitting at the curb loaded and ready to go. Conversely I shouldn't tow a trailer weighing more than 1000 pounds less than the max towing capacity.

Our maiden voyage will be when we go pick it up in early May from Indiana. I will post then and let you know if our towing experience was a disaster or not.

Happy trails and congrats again!!!
michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #7

Best of luck

Thanks for sharing. I have to agree with your value call between the x17z and x20e if the price was just $1000 difference. In our case the X17c was $2500 less and I thought the bid was very competitive for the x20e. It was almost identically priced as a Roo 233 we looked at. I thought the Jayco was the way to go.

Good luck and enjoy the summer. After your trailer arrives let me know about your towing experience. It looks like your tow vehicle is rated similarly to my Pathfinder. I'm really curious as to how it goes given we almost went the same route.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout34 View Post
First, thanks for the welcome. Second, I've already got some good information I didn't have - fans for condensation, solar covers, and a kayaking spot at Yellowstone. Great stuff. Keep it coming.

On the towing, the 4 Runner comparison has to be very close to the setup I'll be running and its good to hear of your results. I told my 14-year old son that if the Pathfinder had trouble with the X17C (2925 uvw/3500 gvw) when its rated for 6000 lbs. that I was hooking it up to his behind and we were pushing the Pathfinder off the highest peak we could find.

I think we'll be fine with the X17C and love every chance we get to camp. I just may wonder for a while if the X20E would have been too much (3665 uvw/4750 gvw).

Let me toss out another basic question. I want to tow water tanks empty. Do most campgrounds (state, national) have water sources that you can hook a hose up to and fill the tanks appropriately when you arrive but before you go to your campsite. I've seen the dump stations. Do campers use the water fountains/spickets that are usually spread through the park? I probably won't go to too many full hookup sites.

Thanks again for your hospitality.

Tad
The State parks that we frequent without water hookups do have water available at several locations in the park. They can be used to fill up upon arrival. But it may not be that way everywhere, its a big country! BTW I don`t think you`ll have to push your truck off a peak! Good luck, Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #9

Hi Trout, will do. I also went back and compared my quotes, the difference between the 17Z and the X20 was $1800 not $1000. The other was the price between the 18D and the X20.

Sorry for any confusion.

I will definitely keep you posted.

Enhoy yours as well this summer.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #10

By the way, did you happen to see the X23F, that is the newest one on their site
Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #11

I think you'll love the 17C. We have a 17Z and downsized from a motorhome. Believe me smaller is better in many ways. I can't wait to de-winterize and hitch up a go.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #12

Congratulations Trout, I know you'll enjoy your new trailer. We purchased the Starcraft twin of the 17C, the 175RK back in September. We tow it with a 2010 Toyota 4Runner with an E2 Weight Distribution Hitch. It tows real well, we have traveled over to the coast and up into the Sierra's with no problems. I plan to install an auxiliary trans cooler. Most of the State Parks and Forest Service campgrounds in this area have water available so I usually don't tow with water in the tanks, just do a little research before you go. Good luck with your new trailer!
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #13

Welcome to the site and enjoy the trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #14

Recapping since my last post

Michelle - Thanks for the info. We did not look at the X23F but I think that might be the only unit in the industry I didn't study at one point or another. You know, the research leading to the purchase was a lot of fun. I think I got to know a sales rep from every dealer in Indiana along the way. Some very nice people. In the end, I was sure I wanted a Jayco. I watched some of their YouTube stuff, read their literature, and talked with other sales reps. One thing I noticed, in talking with each competing rep, nearly every one of them said Jayco made a solid product. They weren't so quick to compliment the others.

Thanks to those answering my state park/water question. I want to tow empty and you've given me some reassurance. You know, I'm sure it will all be old hat soon, but the things those experienced with this type of camping know and consider basic, well its all a mystery to me. I work with computers and its an area where people can be easily overwhelmed. That's where I'm at with camping trailers right now. Installing a WD hitch - sounds like magic, adjusting it properly, more magic. Backing in and connecting my Pathfinder to the WD hitch doesn't sound like it will ever be easy. A brake controller, are you kidding? I'm worried about looking in my rear view mirror seeing smoke rolling from flat spotted tires from adjusting it wrong! And I need to be proficient in this by June. Because we are going to Yellowstone and then to the Grand Canyon. Look for me zipping by your house sometime in April and May because if you live in Indiana, you'll see me out practicing. I'm dreading semis - I'm already giving them dirty looks on my way home from work and my camper is not even built yet. And if I hear the word big, horn, or mountain, my stomach gets sick as I put the three of them together (Big Horn Mountains) and know that they lie between me and my destination. Of course, I plan to bypass them by going north through Montana.

I'm exagerating a little but I'm very appreciative of the tips I've received on this thread. It seems there is a lot to learn but it is a lot more fun that configuring a firewall or replacing a hard drive.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #15

Trout, you sound like my DH. Except he will be doing all his practicing in the streets of Michigan.

:hihi:
Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #16

Towing mystery = UFOs, Magic Bullet

Michelle,

I just saw your note on the towing forum about your Trailblazer and the adjusted max load you're dealing with. Sounds like you did your best research as I did. I hope your Blazer tows the X20E like a dream.

It seemed about the time I had considered everything about towing something else popped up. We are so fired up about camping with our new Jayco. I just don't want the towing to put stress on my vehicle or my heart. I really can't justify, given my normal driving to and from work, a bigger vehicle with lower gas mileage. But I certainly respect those with experience towing and I have to agree that if you can do it, the more power, the longer the wheel base, the better off you are. In our case, we should have a max of 3500 lb in the 18' trailer (that is the limit) and 750 in the Pathfinder. My biggest concern is the drag. It seems to me there should be some sort of invention that would connect from the rear of the car to the top of the camper to ease this. I'm sure the reason there is not something is visibility but it just seems there should be some way to channel the air more effectively.

Anyway, I'm going to get a transmission temperature gauge as that is my biggest concern. Otherwise, all the measurables say we should be well within the most conservative of ratios. I have seen 90% as a rule, and then 80%, and today I saw a new high/low in towing conservatisim - 66%. With our 17C we will be at 58%. My hypersensitivity is related to the length of our summer trip. Up to Rushmore, over to Yellowstone, down to the Grand Canyon. That's a lot of miles for something to go wrong. We'll go on fresh fluids and brakes so the prep will leave nothing to chance. For the shorter stuff we'll do on weekends I'm much more secure.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #17

Towing X17C With Nissan Xterra

Quote:
Yesterday we bought our first camping trailer after years of tent camping. I had identified Jayco as manufacturer I really liked but my first dealer experience nearly eliminated them from consideration. Long story short, after nearly pulling the trigger on a Passport, I looked for another Jayco dealer to see if the result would be different. It was and I'm very excited.

We narrowed our choices down to an X20E and the X17C. The X17C met our needs, the X20E added a little luxury via a couch and more room. Ultimately we bought the X17C due to a combination of factors that included cost, our needs, our type and amount of use, and our tow vehicle (ease of towing). I have no regrets but I did love the X20E floor plan.

I have two things initially that I'd be interested in hearing from forum members on with more to come in the future. 1) Any X17C tips that you can pass along would be much appreciated. We're going to Yellowstone this summer and we'll have some practice trips in April and May. So all guidance from the trailer to trip itinerary is welcomed.

2) I've learned that when it comes to towing, opinions abound. Most people I spoke with said our 2006 Pathfinder (6000 lb. max, 600 lb. tongue, V6, 112.2" wheelbase) would have had no trouble towing the X20E (@22', 3665 lbs. dry). I would have a WD hitch with sway control as well. But a couple of very strong opinions within the family told me I'd be nuts to try it. They insisted that it would not be a good towing experience. It doesn't really matter, but I do wonder what others here with similar units believe. Would I have been okay?

Thanks.
We bought the 2,011 X17C in September and used it camping that month and some of October. We tow it with a Nissan Xterra that has a 5,000 lb. towing limit. So far it seems to tow just fine, but we only get about 10 miles to the gallon. I'd like to know what you get with your Pathfinder.

We love the X17C, especially the fact that when we are traveling and just stop for the night, we don't have to open the tent ends. The dining room table coverts to a big enough bed for my six foot husband and me. That was the reason we did not buy the 17Z. The couch was too small for us to use when we don't feel like opening the tent ends. We don't have kids at home anymore so just for the two of us the 17C works really well.

We live in New York and are going to Colorado next week. It will be our first long trip in the 17C.

Good luck with your new Jayco - I think your Pathfinder should pull it just fine.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina View Post
We bought the 2,011 X17C in September and used it camping that month and some of October. We tow it with a Nissan Xterra that has a 5,000 lb. towing limit. So far it seems to tow just fine, but we only get about 10 miles to the gallon. I'd like to know what you get with your Pathfinder.

We love the X17C, especially the fact that when we are traveling and just stop for the night, we don't have to open the tent ends. The dining room table coverts to a big enough bed for my six foot husband and me. That was the reason we did not buy the 17Z. The couch was too small for us to use when we don't feel like opening the tent ends. We don't have kids at home anymore so just for the two of us the 17C works really well.

We live in New York and are going to Colorado next week. It will be our first long trip in the 17C.

Good luck with your new Jayco - I think your Pathfinder should pull it just fine.
Did I happen to mention that Colorado is closed for tourist season? Just kidding - enjoy the drive from NY - if you've been here before, you know what it's like. If you've never been to Colorado, you're in for some real beauty and nature. I love all of the wildlife we see on a regular basis - deer, elk, moose, coyotes, fox, prairie dogs, mountain lions, and big horned sheep - many animals you don't see in the Mid-Atlantic or Midwest. I live within the city limits of Fort Collins, and have seen all of the mentioned critters IN TOWN (with the exception of mountain lions, moose, elk, and big-horned sheep). Coyotes, fox, deer, and prairie dogs are regular sightings here in town. In Estes Park, the elk and sometimes moose, will wander through the streets in the evenings. Hope you enjoy your trip. We moved here from Michigan and couldn't be happier here!
FoCoNoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #19

Quote:

Thanks.
We use our Nissan Xterra, rated for around 5,000 lbs. to pull our 17C and had no problem pulling it from New York to Colorado. When it is cold out we sleep on the dining room table bed and keep the tent ends closed (did this last October in upstate New York) and it stays nice and warm inside.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoCoNoCo View Post
Did I happen to mention that Colorado is closed for tourist season? Just kidding - enjoy the drive from NY - if you've been here before, you know what it's like. If you've never been to Colorado, you're in for some real beauty and nature. I love all of the wildlife we see on a regular basis - deer, elk, moose, coyotes, fox, prairie dogs, mountain lions, and big horned sheep - many animals you don't see in the Mid-Atlantic or Midwest. I live within the city limits of Fort Collins, and have seen all of the mentioned critters IN TOWN (with the exception of mountain lions, moose, elk, and big-horned sheep). Coyotes, fox, deer, and prairie dogs are regular sightings here in town. In Estes Park, the elk and sometimes moose, will wander through the streets in the evenings. Hope you enjoy your trip. We moved here from Michigan and couldn't be happier here!
Just saw your reply here. We have been to Colorado twice, but the first time we stayed in a rented house. We love Colorado and would move there if we could sell our house in New York. One of my daughters lives there with her family in Manitou Springs. We will be there again for the Christmas holidays but won't take the RV because of the good possibility of ice and snow on the roads. We wish we could take it, though.