Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #1

Water in Wardrobe?

Heya's All -

Brand New x213 owner here - picked it up in April and first trip in a week.

As I've prepped the trailer there has been a couple of times that I've noticed a small amount of water in the bottom of the wardrobe. For the life of me though I can't see any indication of where it's coming from either in the trailer or on the roof. Any ideas on what to check or look for - or a way to troubleshoot the leak?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Nonproductive
Nonproductive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new trailer and welcome to the JOF.

Sorry, Nonproductive, I got nothin' helpful. I looked at your floorplan online and didn't see an entry point other than the roof or a side seam. Water leaks are serious so be sure to report it to your dealer and have them search for it. That way it will be reported if you have trouble in the future.

Hopefully someone with a similar trailer will have something more helpful.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely report it to the dealer on Monday. It's only the second time I've seen it and it's never excessive. That said, as you noted, when the whole trailer is wood /any/ water is not good : )

I was debating about running a hose across the roof to see where the water is flowing. Crawling around up there I didn't notice any gaps in the sealant anywhere though.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #4

Not familiar with your unit. Remember water flows down hill. Are you a little nose ow? If so water from way back could follow wires in the ceiling and framing before you ever see it.

Check you caulking really closely, also your running lights have holes for power and screws. On an older unit I would say check the screws for corrosion. On a new unit, there might not be signs yet of corrosion. Abother area to look is over the edge at the gutter area and see if caulking and/or over lap looks good. You probably have to be on your hands and knees looking over the edge to see this area.

Good luck, but get it fixed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

Could be condensation since you have a storage compartment below it. If it's cold outside and you have the heat on, being close to the bathroom, I would check for condensation. Fix could be as easy as a small fan circulating the air, we had to do that when it dropped below freezing, to keep the windows from sweating so much.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

Might have found source

Went out this morning to crawl round it some more.

I had thought about condensation, Wags999, but there was no moisture under the floor of the wardrobe ad no evidence of moisture anywhere in the storage area. Not ruling it out though - as we have had some very cool nights and very hot days the last week

The trailer is pretty level right now, Jagiven, but I checked back to front to see if I saw any problems at the other end.

What I did find was that the piece of trim that runs down the front edge on the wardrobe side did not seem to have any sealant for about 1/4 of it's run - right where the front starts to curve. There was a small but visible gap between the fiberglass and the trim - just big enough to fit a piece of paper under.

Slapped some caulk in there and going to cross my fingers that it was the culprit.

Will be calling the dealer tomorrow morning to let them know as well - and later today I may run a hose across it to see where the water is flowing and re check it all and further explore Jagiven's thoughts.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonproductive View Post
Went out this morning to crawl round it some more.

I had thought about condensation, Wags999, but there was no moisture under the floor of the wardrobe ad no evidence of moisture anywhere in the storage area. Not ruling it out though - as we have had some very cool nights and very hot days the last week

The trailer is pretty level right now, Jagiven, but I checked back to front to see if I saw any problems at the other end.

What I did find was that the piece of trim that runs down the front edge on the wardrobe side did not seem to have any sealant for about 1/4 of it's run - right where the front starts to curve. There was a small but visible gap between the fiberglass and the trim - just big enough to fit a piece of paper under.

Slapped some caulk in there and going to cross my fingers that it was the culprit.

Will be calling the dealer tomorrow morning to let them know as well - and later today I may run a hose across it to see where the water is flowing and re check it all and further explore Jagiven's thoughts.
You would not necessarily see moisture on both inside and outside if it's condensation. Moisture from a shower or just cooking inside would cause moisture on just one side, the inside portion.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #8

Update - after visiting Dealer

Took the trailer on the drive back to the dealer today. (and have the "driver tan" as evidence)

They looked over the trailer top to bottom and also could not find any evidence of where water was coming in. They did however find some "small gaps" in the sealant in places I had missed in my inspection. They sealed up everything they could find and advised that what my next steps were.

Have a 4 day trip planned about 4 hours away next week and they said to "keep an eye on things and bring it back" if I still see water.

Hopefully there won't be any more of that.
Will update again if situation changes.

Thanks, everyone, for their feedback and advice!
This coming week will be our first "big" outing in the new trailer. Will try to get some pics and an "experience" write up at some point after.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #9

Hope you found you r water leak - if you have one. There is one place water may come in in the right situation (like if the camper was pressure washed or cleaned. There is a piece of conduit that runs into the closet from where the awning attaches. Mine wasn't sealed up 100% prior to my solar install (it is now). It could just be that the dealer cleaned the camper before handing it off to you and got a little moisture in there and it followed the conduit in. Normally this is under the gutter and it's incredibly difficult for normal rain water to find it's way in there. Now the water has to hit a place where it's not sealed on the outside.

Then travel 6" down the conduit into the closet:

Note the wiring that's there (red and white) is 12V awning and porch lights. The black is from my solar install.
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #10

Good Place to check!

Thanks, X213_2015 - I had seen that box out in the closet and not thought about wires running through there.

We had some rain last night and are expecting heavy rain the day we head out.

I'm going to check that spot again to see if there is any sign of water running down the wall as the place where I saw the small puddle was right below that spot.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #11

The hole in the sealant was about 1/4 inch in the 1/2 hole that penetrates....only a driving rain would make it in on mine (or perhaps rain during a tow). They also didn't put any drip-loop on the factory wires there so they make a good path for the rain to follow.
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #12

Awning Wire area looks ok

Just a note that I checked the area where the awning wires enter the trailer and didn't see any openings.

Spent 4 days up by Lake George, NY but no rain so no opportunity to see if there is still water coming in from somewhere. (which is probably a good thing for a mini vacation )
Old 06-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #13

Not that I can help you but I know the feeling.
Our 2016 leaks in the wardrobe as well.
Ours has a grey water pipe in the front corner going to roof.
Hope you find the issue for water.
BTW congrats on your camper.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #14

Thanks, ParrishCamper!

We are enjoying it very much.
As or the water - so far, so good after the dealer resealed the whole front end. We had some torrential downpours here the other day and I think I checked the wardrobe at least 5 times during the storms - no water.

So, all I can suggest is to maybe check the awning wires as x213_2105 suggested and then check the whole front end again. The dealer noted that there were small gaps around the running light on that side that they closed up - so that may have been the source.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #15

Water on Floor

I have a 2015 X23B. Within a month, water started slowly pooling on the floor next to the sink. After four trips, I took it in for service. Turns out a screw on the back wall plate (stained wood) below the sink had a holding screw driven in it that pierced the water line behind it. It was treated as a warranty repair.
mavakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #16

Quick Follow up

Thought I would post a quick follow up now that we are at the end of the season.

Several outings - a couple in varying degrees of rain, being towed at 50-60MPH in a severe thunderstorm and some really heavy storms with the trailer parked at home and no leaks.

It seems that the culprit was the seal around the running light at the top, passenger side of the trailer. I checked it prior to going to the dealer and it looked "ok" - but they scraped it and resealed it.

Side note: we had a blast this season in the X213. Only "complaints" (take that lightly) are lack of outside storage and the bathroom - as a changing room - is a little snug for my 6ft 250lb self. My wife suggested losing weight - I suggested a new truck and a fifth wheel. Pretty sure I lost that one...