Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
Site Team

It sounds like this unit was not plumbed correctly at the factory from what is being described. I also wonder if there could be a check-valve issue?

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #12

This is a simplified diagram of the trailer water system. Note the one-way valves shown. These valves only allow the water to flow in one direction.

I think some of the newer trailers have a by-pass line that does allow you to go around the one way valve but all that I have ever been around do it this way... The only way for me to get water into the fresh water tank is manually pour it into the fresh water inlet, not the city water inlet...

sample photo from google images

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #13

Does the water come back out the gravity feed tube at you when you are filling it? Could someone have plugged the fill tube? If not then I'm X2 on Crabman's suggestion.
OhRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #14

My 322FKS when delivered had the gravity fill hose in the TT go uphill so the tank would not fill correctly. I needed to reroute the hose to allow the water to flow downhill instead of how they had it.

Might be something to check.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
Site Team

X3 on Crabman's diagnosis....incorrect factory plumbing or a check valve.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalenoel View Post
My 322FKS when delivered had the gravity fill hose in the TT go uphill so the tank would not fill correctly. I needed to reroute the hose to allow the water to flow downhill instead of how they had it.

Might be something to check.
That sounds like a lot of work. Obviously I'm not very mechanically inclined, so what all is involved with that? Was it not a warranty issue that could have been fixed by the factory or dealer?
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
Site Team

If you have a 2013 which you bought in 2012, it is a warranty issue....something is not right. Take it in and let them look at it and fix it.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
X3 on Crabman's diagnosis....incorrect factory plumbing or a check valve.
Funny you say that, and here's why: Before I joined this forum yesterday, I typed into the google search engine "My Jayco RV will not fill with water" and when all the different websites that matched my criteria came up, I clicked on one of them where an RVer had a similar issue with his, although it wasn't a Jayco. Other folks were commenting and offering him advice on what the problem may have been. One guy said that a blocked vent pipe could prevent the tank from filling because the obstruction in the vent pipe would essentially act as a dam. His advice to the person with the problem was to remove the little screen covering the vent hole, insert a straw and blow into it, or to use an air compressor to try and remove the obstruction. A while later, the guy with the problem posted that he tried to do that, and it worked. Something was blocking his vent pipe, and when he tried filling his TT with water, the obstruction was not allowing the air in the tank to escape, and the air pressure that built up was stronger than the water pressure from his water source. Lo and behold, that worked for him, and it immediately got me thinking that was going on in my case, too. I went back out to my TT, removed the screen/O-ring that is next to the gravity fill inlet, and it is caulked shut. I found that odd, because why would you need a screen to protect a hole that is caulked full? I'm going outside to try and fill up again, but this time I'm going to try and fill from the gravity fill connection. As you all know by now, I will keep you guys posted. Sincerely, I truly appreciate all of the feedback and patience; thank you thank you thank you.
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #19

... think of filling the fresh water tank the same as filling the gas tank on your motor vehicles. You just add water from a side mounted opening for that purpose. After there is water in the tank, it just sits there doing nothing until you open a faucet which automatically makes an electrical connection and turns on the water pump. The water is then pumped to the faucet that made the demand.

When you connect your supply hose to the city connection, no water is directed into the tank. When you open a faucet, the water starts moving through the pipes (hoses) using same pressure from the CG connection or garden hose connection at home. (Remember to use a regulator so there not too much pressure on your system.) Because the water is already under pressure, it doesn't have to be drawn from the tank and pumped into your system. Hope this helps.

And, as also discussed in a recent thread: It's a good idea to fill your tank with fresh water even if you are going to be using the city connection. If the facilities water supply is lost for any reason, you will still have some.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
Site Team

I am not familiar with your rig but many Jayco's have a utility panel and a diagram to show valve positions for filling the tank. On mine it is called "City fill"

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote