Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #1

Angry Water tank won't fill w/ city water

Greetings, Happy Campers!!

I am a new owner of a Jayco Jay Feather 19H; previously I was a tent-only camper. My travel trailer is a 2013 which we got new in July 2012. We used it twice and had no problems (other than inexperience in using all of its features). Today I tried filling up the water tank (30 gallons) from the city water inlet, and no water is entering the tank. The interior faucets are flowing water, however, I'm getting nothing into the tank. The ground underneath my trailer is dry so I know it isn't leaking. I'm not getting any water out of the overflow tubes, so I know it isn't overflowing from the tank. I drained all of the water from the fresh water tank, the grey water tank and the black water tank after our last trip. Today I drained the hot water heater by pulling the plastic drain plug on the outside of the rig. When I left the HWT plug out and tried filling with water, water flowed out of it, so I know the problem isn't there. All of the valves are in Summer positions just as they were when we used it this Summer--twice. It almost seems as if there is an "air dam" (for lack of a better word) stopping the flow of water before it can fill my tank. I hope this makes sense, and I hope someone can offer some technical advice on what may be causing this problem. Thanks.
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. You do not fill the water tank from the city water fill, that`s only for sites with water hookups. Its the other one that fills the tank, "gravity fill".
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Welcome to the forum. You do not fill the water tank from the city water fill, that`s only for sites with water hookups. Its the other one that fills the tank, "gravity fill".
X2

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Now I'm really confused; when I towed it to the different campsites this year, I towed it empty--without any water at all. When we got to the campground, I used the water supply on site attached to the city water connection on the trailer, turned on the water supply, and in less than 10 minutes we had enough water for a few days. So today, I attached the hose from my house faucet to the city water inlet.....and nothing. What's the difference?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

Name:  jr_colonial_white_gravity_water_dish-54169-3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  6.0 KBName:  88-8262.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  5.5 KB

pm1stnau, which one of these two are you trying to fill your water tank with, the one on the left which is a gravity fill or the one on the right where you have to screw on your water hose?
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #6

Hummmm. When you where at the CG that had water, did you screw the hose to the TT and the water bib, turn on the hose bib and walk away until you were ready to leave? Or did you shove the hose into the gravity fill hole (the hose does not screw into the gravity fill)?

On the road side of the TT there are two ways to get water to your TT faucets. Option 1, is to connect the hose via a screw connection to the TT and to the CG water source, leaving the hose connected all weekend. With this option you do not use the pump. Option 2, fills the fresh water tank, there is a round cap on the side of the TT that you shove the hose into and after 5 minutes or so the tank is filled and water pours out of the overflow under the TT, after removing the hose you place the cap back on the gravity fill pipe. With this option you need to turn on the pump.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #7

Good question, dg1971!! The first time we used it this summer, I tried putting the CG water line into the gravity fill inlet, and after several frustrating minutes without any success (no water), I called my dealer and explained the situation and they said I was supposed to use the city water connection. Presto, it worked!! The second time around, I knew better, and used the city water connection right off the bat; presto, it worked again. So when I tried filling the TT today, I went right for the city water connection again, but it wouldn't fill. I got enough water to run my faucets, but nothing in the tank. The gauge--which I understand can be faulty sometimes, shows 1 red light (1/3). Nothing leaked from the overflow tubes, nothing leaked from a low point drain, and underneath my trailer it's dry. For the first couple of minutes, I can hear water moving through the hose and the hose is "vibrating" so I know water is going somewhere. Then the hose stays hard, but there is no sounds or movement, so I know that the water flow has stopped, even though I still have pressure in the hose. I ran out of daylight so I quit. Tomorrow I will try to use the gravity-feed inlet. I appreciate your patience with my ignorance.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #8

When you are hooked to the city water connection your trailer works just like your house, the water does not go into the holding tank. It goes directly to all your faucets and toilet. When you fill the tank with the gravity-feed line you then have to use your onboard water pump to get the water to your faucets. I don't even take water in my tank if I know I will have water at my site. Hope this helps.
OhRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #9

Jagiven, the first campsite we were at did not have full hook-ups on every site, so we filled up upon arrival and then went to our site and set up camp. When we ran out of water, I hooked up the TT, drove to the filling station at the CG entrance and repeated the process. The 2nd CG we were at had full hook-ups on every site, so I attached the hose to the city water inlet, filled it up, removed the hose completely and we were all set. When I needed water again, I repeated the process. I have never left the CG hose attached to our TT for any length of time--only to fill. I was told that overfilling the tank can cause serious damage, so once all my lights on the gauge come on, I disconnect the water supply. I was under the impression (after talking with the dealer on my first trip) that the gravity feed was for filling up the water tank when city water wasn't available--like if you are in a remote campsite. That's why I bought 2, 6-gallon water cans that I can use to pour water into the TT. Picture someone using a gas can to fill up their car because they ran out of gas 2 miles from a gas station!! I'm a nice guy, but not necessarily a smart one.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #10

OhRver--that does help and it makes sense, but now I'm wondering how I got it to work this past summer. As I mentioned earlier, the first time I tried filling this thing (through the gravity feed inlet), it wouldn't fill, and that's when I called my dealer. He told me to use the city water inlet to fill. So what could cause the tank NOT to fill when using the gravity feed connection? I won't travel with a load of water, either, because of weight restrictions and my wife's inability to pack lightly!! (Still love her, though). I was planning a deer hunting trip where the weight of a week's worth of cargo for 4 people won't be an issue, and that's why I was trying to fill up with water today. Ugggggggg. I feel like Charlie Brown.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #11
Site Team

It sounds like this unit was not plumbed correctly at the factory from what is being described. I also wonder if there could be a check-valve issue?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #12

This is a simplified diagram of the trailer water system. Note the one-way valves shown. These valves only allow the water to flow in one direction.

I think some of the newer trailers have a by-pass line that does allow you to go around the one way valve but all that I have ever been around do it this way... The only way for me to get water into the fresh water tank is manually pour it into the fresh water inlet, not the city water inlet...

sample photo from google images
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #13

Does the water come back out the gravity feed tube at you when you are filling it? Could someone have plugged the fill tube? If not then I'm X2 on Crabman's suggestion.
OhRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #14

My 322FKS when delivered had the gravity fill hose in the TT go uphill so the tank would not fill correctly. I needed to reroute the hose to allow the water to flow downhill instead of how they had it.

Might be something to check.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #15

X3 on Crabman's diagnosis....incorrect factory plumbing or a check valve.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalenoel View Post
My 322FKS when delivered had the gravity fill hose in the TT go uphill so the tank would not fill correctly. I needed to reroute the hose to allow the water to flow downhill instead of how they had it.

Might be something to check.
That sounds like a lot of work. Obviously I'm not very mechanically inclined, so what all is involved with that? Was it not a warranty issue that could have been fixed by the factory or dealer?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #17

If you have a 2013 which you bought in 2012, it is a warranty issue....something is not right. Take it in and let them look at it and fix it.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
X3 on Crabman's diagnosis....incorrect factory plumbing or a check valve.
Funny you say that, and here's why: Before I joined this forum yesterday, I typed into the google search engine "My Jayco RV will not fill with water" and when all the different websites that matched my criteria came up, I clicked on one of them where an RVer had a similar issue with his, although it wasn't a Jayco. Other folks were commenting and offering him advice on what the problem may have been. One guy said that a blocked vent pipe could prevent the tank from filling because the obstruction in the vent pipe would essentially act as a dam. His advice to the person with the problem was to remove the little screen covering the vent hole, insert a straw and blow into it, or to use an air compressor to try and remove the obstruction. A while later, the guy with the problem posted that he tried to do that, and it worked. Something was blocking his vent pipe, and when he tried filling his TT with water, the obstruction was not allowing the air in the tank to escape, and the air pressure that built up was stronger than the water pressure from his water source. Lo and behold, that worked for him, and it immediately got me thinking that was going on in my case, too. I went back out to my TT, removed the screen/O-ring that is next to the gravity fill inlet, and it is caulked shut. I found that odd, because why would you need a screen to protect a hole that is caulked full? I'm going outside to try and fill up again, but this time I'm going to try and fill from the gravity fill connection. As you all know by now, I will keep you guys posted. Sincerely, I truly appreciate all of the feedback and patience; thank you thank you thank you.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #19

... think of filling the fresh water tank the same as filling the gas tank on your motor vehicles. You just add water from a side mounted opening for that purpose. After there is water in the tank, it just sits there doing nothing until you open a faucet which automatically makes an electrical connection and turns on the water pump. The water is then pumped to the faucet that made the demand.

When you connect your supply hose to the city connection, no water is directed into the tank. When you open a faucet, the water starts moving through the pipes (hoses) using same pressure from the CG connection or garden hose connection at home. (Remember to use a regulator so there not too much pressure on your system.) Because the water is already under pressure, it doesn't have to be drawn from the tank and pumped into your system. Hope this helps.

And, as also discussed in a recent thread: It's a good idea to fill your tank with fresh water even if you are going to be using the city connection. If the facilities water supply is lost for any reason, you will still have some.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
Site Team

I am not familiar with your rig but many Jayco's have a utility panel and a diagram to show valve positions for filling the tank. On mine it is called "City fill"
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote