Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
snip........Can anyone explain why the round bars should run parallel with the A frame? The "Tech" said that the bars are designed to bend upwards and that my bars could even bend further and take more load.....snip
Wayne,

Keeping the spring bars parallel to the TT A-frame provides adequate clearance between the spring bar "tail" and the TT A-frame during TV turns, thus reducing the possibility of a binding condition. As the TV makes a turn the tail of the spring bar will start to "rise" a little toward the TT frame, the harder the turn, the higher the rise.

The tech is correct that the spring bars may be able to take more load, but even under heavier load condition there is no reason the tech can't re-adjust the WDH ball mount tilt so that the spring bar is parallel (assuming correct weight transfer is maintained).

In some cases it may be difficult to be "dead on" parallel, so a "slight" upward or downward spring bar angle is acceptable.

You will find that WDH's with round style spring bars require a parallel relationship with the TT frame where WDH's with a trunnion style spring bar can be parallel or have a modest downward relationship to the TT frame.

The top portion of the link that member 'Quahog" provided in his first response is a great reference on what is involved in adjusting a WDH properly. I'm sure after reading the information provided you will know than the dealer tech!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #12

Hey thanks alot everyone! I went back to the dealer today. I got the slight impression that I'm a bit more of a pain than what the dealer is accustomed too but the lady in the service dept was very nice about things.

I showed her the same pics that I posted above and asked her if she saw any problems. She basically said what the rest of you did but said that for test tows the techs don't usually dial everything in to be perfect as their paid by the hour. She said that once I buy the trailer that they'll set up the WDH for my vehicle.

I can see her point but on the other hand it makes you question the "nickel and diming" some businesses do to save a buck. I feel its short sighted and costs more in the end. I've been in and out of this place for the last couple weeks and had my WDH been dialed in on my previous test tow I would have signed the line and pulled the trailer off their lot.

The service lady said they hooked up my friction control bar to the trailer and its all ready for my next test tow this weekend. She said that my current 600lb WDH and friction control bar will be enough for this trailer but after my last experience I think I'm gonna upgrade.

I got a quote on a 800lb round bar Reese strait-line WDH with dual cam sway control for $643 Canadian (I plan to shop around for a better price). Any thoughts on this set up and any suggestions whether I should go round bar or trunnion bar?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #13

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
snip.......I got a quote on a 800lb round bar Reese strait-line WDH with dual cam sway control for $643 Canadian (I plan to shop around for a better price). Any thoughts on this set up and any suggestions whether I should go round bar or trunnion bar?
Wayne,

The Reese HP Dual Cam WDH is a great hitch which has integrated sway control so you don't have to remove anything when you back the TV/TT into a campsite. The Dual Cam is a much more effective sway control system than the friction bar, but like any WDH proper installation and adjustment is important.

As far as style of spring bar, I would recommend staying with the round spring bars since the TT ball coupler is welded to the top of the A-frame, thus minimizing any potential clearances issues around the front area of the A-frame.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #15

Tilt your hitch down...that looks to be the major problem. With my Traverse I only drop 3 links on my chains and that is sufficient, but my hitch is tilted down, not up like your is.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #16

Ok, So yesterday I went to the dealer again for my re-test tow. I brought along a buddy of mine who works for the Commercial Vehicle Safety Authority (CVSE also known as DOT to some). He knows a bunch about towing, hitching etc. We got my hitch set up proper and took the X213 out for another haul. It definitely towed better but I did come to the realization that this TT is too much rig for my Jeep.

The wife and I toyed with the idea of even upgrading our TV to a Ford F150 but we realized that although we love camping its still just camping and has no real bearing on our day to day lives and finances.

So after this revelation we decided to stick with the X19H and possible even go with the X17Z. As stated previously the X19H weighs 700 lbs less and is 3 1/2 feet shorter than the X213. The X17Z is about 400 lbs less than the X19H and another 2 feet shorter. We're going back to the dealer first thing in the morning to take a closer look and spend some time in each (I think our salesman is starting to hate us .

I don't think we're gonna do a test pull this time. I already know the Jeep CAN pull the heavier/longer X213 and I plan on upgrading from my current 600lb WDH with friction bar to a 600 lb WDH with dual cam sway control so I think with that said either should pull fine.

I have read that the X19H is still a bit of a beast to tow which is why we're considering the X17Z but seeing as its only slightly shorter and 400lbs lighter I don't think there is a major difference. The X19H is also a tandem axle which I'm sure makes up for some of that 400lb weight difference between it and the X17Z. Being that it's tandem axle I'm guessing that it should handle slightly better as well.

All this being said the last month and a half have been tiring to say the least with all the decisions about what to buy and not buy and I (and especially my wife hope to have a decision made and a deal struck by noon tomorrow.

I really appreciate the assistance you have all offered and would still welcome your thoughts if you have any to offer.

Cheers!
Wayne
Old 04-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Wayne,

Sounds like your do-diligence will insure that you end up with a good TV/TT combination. If you plan to go with a Reese HP Dual Cam WDH, please note that it requires at least a 400lb loaded tongue weight to be effective, which is doable with both the X17Z and X19H.

If for some reason you feel that your loaded tongue weight will be less than 400lbs on the TT you select, you can look into the Reese SC WDH which covers a loaded tongue weight range of 200lbs to 600lbs (http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66151.html).

The Reese SC WDH is better than a standard friction control sway bar, and the Reese HP Dual Cam WDH is better than the Reese SC WDH.

Just a little more info to have on hand

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #18

Thanks for the advice Rustic Eagle. My Jeep has the Quadra lift air suspension which self levels. Do you think this would interfere with the operation of either WDH? The parts guy at the dealer initially showed me a hitch similar to the Reese in the link you posted. After hearing about my suspension the parts guy at the dealer said he didn't think that hitch would work. Any thoughts?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #19

The Hensley Cub will work with your trailer and air suspension on your tow vehicle.

http://hensleymfg.com/products/the-hensley-cub/
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #20

I would love to get a Hensley and think I may have stuck with the larger x213 tt if I had one but I don't have the cash to buy one out right. I asked my rv dealer about them and whether they could get one in but they said they had never heard of the brand (welcome to the Canadian North where were about 5 yrs behind everybody else
My thoughts were if I could get one tossed into the financing that I'd get one but doesn't look like that's gonna happen. So I figure the next best thing is the Reese dual cam set up.