Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

We Did It

Well friends, we finished up our research, found a great deal, took a trip to look at our choice, was very impressed with what we saw. We now have a 2018 Jay Flight SLX 7 175RD parked in our storage space. Dealing with wintery weather here in western Washington, but was blessed with a nice window last Saturday to haul our trade in camper over to the dealer and bring back the new one. #1 thing to do while spring is on the way: pull the oem mattress and put in a memory foam. A few more upgrades before 1st pull out, ie a better propane tank strap method, but no biggie. Really appreciate all the great experience and tips on this site that helped guide us in this huge decision. No doubt will continue to do so and, will stay in touch and post updates. Happy Trails!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
OldScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #2

Welcome to JOF, sounds like some new adventures and great memories ahead.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

Hello Oldscout,

Happy to hear of your new RD175. We have a 2017 RD175 and love it, especially the "U" shape dinette.

There are many essentials needed and we are still finding some new ones. Starting out however, I'd recommend at least the following:

1- A good weight distributing hitch. We bought a Fastway E2, 6K one with "trunnion" bars; much easier to use hooking up than those with chains and also provides sway control.

2- Indeed, a new mattress. We bought an 8" memory foam mattress from Amazon (can't remember the brand) but it was made with "green tea" in the mfg. process and that eliminated any odors and it fit perfectly. I don't recommend just a "topper"

3- Wood or plastic blocks for leveling and also chalks. We use an Anderson Camper Leveler (from Camping World, Amazon, etc.) really easy to level the TT from side to side. We also had an electric tongue jack installed which helps hooking up to the tow truck (TV) and for fore and aft leveling.

4- Yep, plastic storage boxes that will fit into the exterior storage doors.

5- Of course, sewer hoses, 15A to 30A shore power cord adapter, a 1500 watt electric heater for cold nights with hook-ups. Certainly not an essential, but we also bought a Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generator for dry camping.

We also had front levelers installed for added stability when camping. I added three "Add-A-Drawers" (from Camping World, Amazon, etc.) for inside storage for silverware, etc.

You will find many, many other handy "essentials" and others here will provide helpful ideas.

Cheers and happy camping in your Jayco RD175.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullin View Post
Hello Oldscout,

Happy to hear of your new RD175. We have a 2017 RD175 and love it, especially the "U" shape dinette.

There are many essentials needed and we are still finding some new ones. Starting out however, I'd recommend at least the following:

1- A good weight distributing hitch. We bought a Fastway E2, 6K one with "trunnion" bars; much easier to use hooking up than those with chains and also provides sway control.

2- Indeed, a new mattress. We bought an 8" memory foam mattress from Amazon (can't remember the brand) but it was made with "green tea" in the mfg. process and that eliminated any odors and it fit perfectly. I don't recommend just a "topper"

3- Wood or plastic blocks for leveling and also chalks. We use an Anderson Camper Leveler (from Camping World, Amazon, etc.) really easy to level the TT from side to side. We also had an electric tongue jack installed which helps hooking up to the tow truck (TV) and for fore and aft leveling.

4- Yep, plastic storage boxes that will fit into the exterior storage doors.

5- Of course, sewer hoses, 15A to 30A shore power cord adapter, a 1500 watt electric heater for cold nights with hook-ups. Certainly not an essential, but we also bought a Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generator for dry camping.

We also had front levelers installed for added stability when camping. I added three "Add-A-Drawers" (from Camping World, Amazon, etc.) for inside storage for silverware, etc.

You will find many, many other handy "essentials" and others here will provide helpful ideas.

Cheers and happy camping in your Jayco RD175.
Thanks for the tips Paullin, and way ahead of you on all counts. Pricing the stabilizer jacks now. I'm fortunate to have a great friend who's a metal smith and will help me install. The dealer flipped my wdh for me from the trade in to the new unit. We have a Husky Centerline TS. Unless I look in the mirrors, I don't even know it's there. Best part is, it imparts some sway control, plus, I don't have to disengage the spring bars to back up. Again, thanks for the tips. Just got back from taking inside measurements and am making "the list" longer with each visit. Thinking of putting a Fantastic vent in the bathroom. Happy Trails!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
OldScout is offline   Reply With Quote