Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #1

What I have learned so far!

Hello all. I just graduated last week from Flagstaff popup camper to a Jayco Swift 184BH. I am excited about camping without the agonizing setup and take down of the popup camper. I am also excited about the idea of stopping while on the road to grab a nice (non-fast food) meal while traveling, and even sleeping in the Walmart parking lot (that's a phrase I never thought that I'd hear myself say)! Things like that were just not possible in the popup camper.

^^^^^^^ from my first introduction^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now this what I have learned so far about my Swift 184BH

1) the Dandy AC is underpowered when it is over 90 degrees!

2). The fridge needs a coil cooler to increase the efficiency.

----------Probably the most exciting----------

3) My Emergancy 2 stroke 1000w generator runs the AC, TV, Antenna, and a couple of lights, and water pump. Just the AC, TV, and the Antenna use about 650 watts, so I can only use 2 lights at the same time, the lights tend to take about more wattage than I thought it would. But, for a $1000 generator, I was pretty impressed that I could run all of that stuff. That will help with those Walmart stay overs and Rest area lunches.

4) installing a 7 pin connector and electric barked on a Tow Vehicle is a royal pain in the rear!

5) it could use a drawer

6). The beds are hard to find sheets for, so I am making them myself.

This is a great camper and I cannot wait until I get to use it. we will be doing our first run with it in just about 2 weeks. We will be going to OshKosh Airventure, and then off to UP Michigan, then back down the West Coast of MI, then back to KC! Sounds like fun. I hope my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited does ok pulling it!

Cheers,

X
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #2

When you get a chance you might consider swapping out the lights for LED's use a lot less power so less wattage. Just an idea. Sounds like you are really enjoying the new trailer. We went from a Coachman popup to the X213 ... like night and day. like going from a small one bedroom apartment to a nice new house!!

John
2011 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213
2000 Chevy 2500HD Silverado
jmoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post

1) the Dandy AC is underpowered when it is over 90 degrees!
I bought a 6'' fan to help move the air around over the Holiday when it was 100+ degrees and that helped

Quote:

6). The beds are hard to find sheets for, so I am making them myself.
an XL Twin works well for the bunks and an XL Full works perfect for the dinette bed. Got them both at Target

Quote:
We will be going to OshKosh Airventure,
waive as you may drive by us while we're camping in Merrimac

Enjoy your time out,
Russell
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

----------Probably the most exciting----------

3) My Emergancy 2 stroke 1000w generator runs the AC, TV, Antenna, and a couple of lights, and water pump. Just the AC, TV, and the Antenna use about 650 watts, so I can only use 2 lights at the same time, the lights tend to take about more wattage than I thought it would. But, for a $1000 generator, I was pretty impressed that I could run all of that stuff. That will help with those Walmart stay overs and Rest area lunches.
I have been considering buying the small Honda 2000 generator to use with my 184bh as I suspected that it would not take much to start and run the 5000 btu AC, this is really exciting to know that you were able to run all of this, as AC is very important to my wife and there always seems to be non electric campsites available.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #5

It runs it just fine, but you have to turn it on in stages. Turn it on the first setting (fan) and let it spool up. Once the fan is spooled up to full speed you can continue to the next click, which will start the compressor.

Dont get me wrong, the 1000W does it, but it is not optimum. The morning that I tried out my 1000W generator I was actually ON MY WAY to go buy the Champion 2000. I am considering still buying it.

Here are the problems with the 1000W (2 stroke).

-It will not power everything whereas a 2000w would. (all lights and AC will kill your genny because the lights take up almost as much power as the AC.
-because it is running over 50% capacity it will drink more fuel, requiring you to get up in the middle of the night and add gas.
-the 2 stroke is loud. If I put it near the opposite corner of the camper, I can still (just barely) hear it over the AC
-at 10' away, the sound meter on my iphone said it was 72 decibels which would be way too loud for a campsite, but ok for a parking lot.
-not as reliable as a 4 stroke genny

I would suspect that if you were trying to save some cash, a 1000w yamaha or honda would be a much better genny than a 2 stroke, or you could buy the champion stackables. They have been getting GREAT reviews.

X
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote