Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

What is alpha ply ? TPO or EPDM ?

Their description is kind of confusing , they are talking about some sort of combination. What I really want to know is can I use peel and seal tape or eternabond tape on it. My trailer is a whitehawk 2014, thanks guys

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #2

Here is the answer on a previous post asking the same question.

Thank you for contacting Jayco. Your rubber roof is Alpha-ply made by Alpha Systems. We do not use Dicor, we use the sealants that Alpha recommends except for around the skylight we use Quad sealant due to the material used on the skylight. Below is from Alpha' on line site: alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

RECOMMENDED REPAIR METHOD FOR ALPHA SYSTEMS
ROOF SEALANT

During routine cleaning (3-4 times a year), all caulk and sealants should be inspected for voids or cracking. If the caulk is cracking, pull up any loose caulk. Do not use any tools, such as a putty knife, that could puncture the rubber roof membrane. If you cannot pull the caulk off by hand, it is still adhered to the roof and should be left alone.

Clean the areas to be re-sealed using regular soap and water. The area must be dry before continuing.

Apply a generous amount of Alpha Systems 1010 Sealant over the top of any existing caulk in the area being re-sealed.

To order products now, call 800-462-4698. Please allow 3-5 business days before product ships from our facility. Shipping charges will be added to your order.

Solvents should not be used during cleaning. Solvents can damage existing caulk and may weaken plastic parts that are present on the roof.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Sundancer, however is it TPO or EPDM since all they say there is their brand name for the material :-)

BTW I had the ok to use Dicor lap sealant from Alpha system, but I do not trust the caulking, I want to add an extra layer of protection.

Now can I use peel and seal tape , or eternabond on the alpha ply and get a good adhesion .

Old 12-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #4

Reading through the posts its a TPO roof.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #5

Ok then thanks

Old 12-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #6

My solution for my failing rubber roof membrane from Alpha Systems after 5 years service was RVRoof | Home of the original sprayed RV Roof. The leak was through the membrane. Don't believe a word of the 12 year warranty. It sounds good until you try to make a claim.

And now I don't have "any" calk to worry about.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

Eternabond can go over either. Just make sure you clean the seam properly and use a roller with pressure to activate the adhesive, good to go!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #8

Thanks for your input guys.

I was curious to get the info from the horses mouth so I wrote an email to Alpha System and they confirmed what you share with me, Alpha Ply is a TPO and Eternabond is compatible as long as I use the primer with it.

EdAtlanta, I'll take my chance with the rubber roof that I have , I've read many post where you shared your experience with that sprayed stuff. Looks like a good alternative but for this product like for everything else, time will tell if it is that good on long term.

The type of problem you experienced with your roof isn't very common or we would already know about it so before spending thousands of dollars ...Ill take my chance but hey thanks for the suggestion

Old 12-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Thanks for your input guys.

I was curious to get the info from the horses mouth so I wrote an email to Alpha System and they confirmed what you share with me, Alpha Ply is a TPO and Eternabond is compatible as long as I use the primer with it.

EdAtlanta, I'll take my chance with the rubber roof that I have , I've read many post where you shared your experience with that sprayed stuff. Looks like a good alternative but for this product like for everything else, time will tell if it is that good on long term.

The type of problem you experienced with your roof isn't very common or we would already know about it so before spending thousands of dollars ...Ill take my chance but hey thanks for the suggestion
I have to totally agree with your assessment on this. I too have a 2014 WHawk and while I don't have any problems with my roof, I am interested in knowing what to do if and when I have a problem. The suggestion to "rip it off" and then spray a new one on makes no sense unless you have experienced a major
membrane failure. While the spray on roof may be very good, only time will tell. In the meantime spending thousands to deal with a typical roof issue is silly at best. I have purchased a roll of E-bond tape and will be ordering the correct lap sealant just so I am prepared.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I have to totally agree with your assessment on this. I too have a 2014 WHawk and while I don't have any problems with my roof, I am interested in knowing what to do if and when I have a problem. The suggestion to "rip it off" and then spray a new one on makes no sense unless you have experienced a major
membrane failure. While the spray on roof may be very good, only time will tell. In the meantime spending thousands to deal with a typical roof issue is silly at best. I have purchased a roll of E-bond tape and will be ordering the correct lap sealant just so I am prepared.
I had a major roof issue - Total Membrane Failure in multiple areas. Moisture leaking through the membrane. It would have cost within $400 of the same to have a new rubber roof installed and then worry that it was going to do the same again? No way for me and now no caulking to worry about either.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I had a major roof issue - Total Membrane Failure in multiple areas. Moisture leaking through the membrane. It would have cost within $400 of the same to have a new rubber roof installed and then worry that it was going to do the same again? No way for me and now no caulking to worry about either.
Understood from your previous posts. Pretty much consistent with what I said. A spray on roof is not a viable route for a person with a small or repairable roof leak. Have heard of very few major TPO roof failures with Jayco RV's. Spray on roofs are relatively new and do not have years of history to validate their claims.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
snip......Have heard of very few major TPO roof failures with Jayco RV's.....snip
I would agree..., except during the 2004 thru mid-2007 model years. During this time frame Jayco used a TPO material with a "fleece" backing (on some models) that was responsible (in part) for numerous warranty service claims. Been there, done it.

But, I still believe the TPO (thermoplastic) material is more durable then EPDM (rubber).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Here is the answer on a previous post asking the same question.

Thank you for contacting Jayco. Your rubber roof is Alpha-ply made by Alpha Systems. We do not use Dicor, we use the sealants that Alpha recommends except for around the skylight we use Quad sealant due to the material used on the skylight. Below is from Alpha' on line site: alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

RECOMMENDED REPAIR METHOD FOR ALPHA SYSTEMS
ROOF SEALANT

During routine cleaning (3-4 times a year), all caulk and sealants should be inspected for voids or cracking. If the caulk is cracking, pull up any loose caulk. Do not use any tools, such as a putty knife, that could puncture the rubber roof membrane. If you cannot pull the caulk off by hand, it is still adhered to the roof and should be left alone.

Clean the areas to be re-sealed using regular soap and water. The area must be dry before continuing.

Apply a generous amount of Alpha Systems 1010 Sealant over the top of any existing caulk in the area being re-sealed.

To order products now, call 800-462-4698. Please allow 3-5 business days before product ships from our facility. Shipping charges will be added to your order.

Solvents should not be used during cleaning. Solvents can damage existing caulk and may weaken plastic parts that are present on the roof.
This is not what Jayco told us. When we called Jayco corporate customer service in August 2016, they told us that our 2016 Jay Feather roof is non-fleece TPO, "diflexi" made by Dicor. They gave us a number for Dicor for any questions we had regarding the roof membrane's construction and maintenance. We did call Dicor, and they acknowledge that the membrane was their product, and they were friendly with their time and advice. Dicor told us that all the membrane needs is seasonal washing four times per year with a non-petroleum based soap like Murphy Oil Soap. They told us that they would be happy to sell us any number of cleaning and protectant products that they manufacture and market, but they recommended that we save our money and just keep the roof clean and maintain the seals with Dicor sealants - no special cleaners or protectants needed. They actually said that the protectants are merely for "peace of mind" for some customers, but the material is inherently UV protected due to chemical composition, and it does not need protectants applied to it.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #14

And Jayco told me it was ok to use Dicor on my 2014 Alpha ply roof ..... its a good thing since the alpha sealant is virtually impossible to get where I live

Old 12-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
This is not what Jayco told us. When we called Jayco corporate customer service in August 2016, they told us that our 2016 Jay Feather roof is non-fleece TPO, "diflexi" made by Dicor. They gave us a number for Dicor for any questions we had regarding the roof membrane's construction and maintenance. We did call Dicor, and they acknowledge that the membrane was their product, and they were friendly with their time and advice. Dicor told us that all the membrane needs is seasonal washing four times per year with a non-petroleum based soap like Murphy Oil Soap. They told us that they would be happy to sell us any number of cleaning and protectant products that they manufacture and market, but they recommended that we save our money and just keep the roof clean and maintain the seals with Dicor sealants - no special cleansers or protectants needed. They actually said that the protectants are merely for peace of mind, but the material is inherently UV protected due to chemical composition.
This may be true for a 2016 model, the original question was for a 2014 model.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

Likely the case. We were pleased with both Jayco's and Dicor's assistance.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #17
Site Team

A video I saw showed how to tell TPO from EPDM. It said remove the interior flange around a vent and look at the excess roof material. TPO will be one solid color, EPDM will be white on top and black on the bottom. I have no knowledge if this is universally the case or not.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #18

I am looking to replace a hail damaged bath skylight dome with an Icon replacement. They recommend their sealant. I have the rubber like roof on the 2013 Jayco x213 and was wondering if there is a better option for sealing this type of roof.

Thanks for any help.

John

2013 Ultralight x213
Jeep Cherokee
jhowardxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowardxpress View Post
I am looking to replace a hail damaged bath skylight dome with an Icon replacement. They recommend their sealant. I have the rubber like roof on the 2013 Jayco x213 and was wondering if there is a better option for sealing this type of roof.

Thanks for any help.

John
If it were me, I would use Eternabond with Dicor lap seal around the edges.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
A video I saw showed how to tell TPO from EPDM. It said remove the interior flange around a vent and look at the excess roof material. TPO will be one solid color, EPDM will be white on top and black on the bottom. I have no knowledge if this is universally the case or not.
I pulled the inside frame from the Fantastic Fan in our bedroom but wasn't able to get to the backside of the rubber roofing material. Called Jayco with our VIN and was told we have an Alpha Ply by Alpha Systems.

Then called Alpha Systems asking about Alpha Ply and was told:
- It has a textured surface like an orange. (Our roof does.)
- It is a TPO roof.
- Has a 12-year warranty to the original owner.
- Any household cleaner is okay. They specifically mentioned Dawn.
- Alpha Systems Super Flex self-leveling/no-sag sealants recommended.
- Can also use Dicor 501 lap sealant without problem.
- Does not need any type of treatment or UV protectant.

Hope this helps.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote