Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2023, 04:23 PM   #1

What length and diameter for black tank flush hose

Needing to keep weight down, i would be content with a black tank flush hose that is adequate 90'% of the time, at tradirional campgrounds.

Would that be 10', 15' or 20'?

Does the flush clean only black tank? Or grey at the same time?
Whistleroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:50 PM   #2

Most of the time when dumping at a waste station a 10' hose is adequate. If you are on full hookups at a campground with sewer a 20' could be too short. So it will depend on your style of camping. Most people use the same hose for both. You will want to run the black water through first then use the cleaner gray water to get the real crap out of the hose followed by a fresh water rinse. That water is usually marked non potable at dump stations or will be the same faucet as your drinking water at a full service site.

If your RV has two different connectors you will have to move the hose from one spot to the other. Most units have the gray and black converge and go out the same hose but with two different valves.

I believe everyone here will tell you this is not the area to skimp on quality. 20 or 30 gallons of black water running along the ground will ruin a lot of people's day. Also, the weight difference between a 10' and 20' isn't that much.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Most of the time when dumping at a waste station a 10' hose is adequate. If you are on full hookups at a campground with sewer a 20' could be too short. So it will depend on your style of camping. Most people use the same hose for both. You will want to run the black water through first then use the cleaner gray water to get the real crap out of the hose followed by a fresh water rinse. That water is usually marked non potable at dump stations or will be the same faucet as your drinking water at a full service site.

If your RV has two different connectors you will have to move the hose from one spot to the other. Most units have the gray and black converge and go out the same hose but with two different valves.

I believe everyone here will tell you this is not the area to skimp on quality. 20 or 30 gallons of black water running along the ground will ruin a lot of people's day. Also, the weight difference between a 10' and 20' isn't that much.
I think you refer to the sewer drain hose. Still helput information though, thanks!!! Here, I am asking about a garden style hose used to flush the black tank, maybe the gray tank too.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:02 PM   #4

A sewer hose is maybe the last thing to worry about when trying to keep the weight down.

IMHO

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:05 PM   #5

Gotcha. We use the same one for both gray and black and keep it far away from the fresh water hose. I carry a 15' and at times wish I had a longer one.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:29 PM   #6

I have a very good drinking water hose, which is not light, but I like ones that stay reasonably supple in cold weather. For the flush, and other uses like washing the dog (connected to outside shower) I carry an expandable 20 ft hose. When not under pressure it is short, and very light weight.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:38 PM   #7

I also use the expandable hose ( black/gray water ) and store mine in a separate container.
Attached Thumbnails
DF3579A7-722D-46D9-A6F3-ED09025B2B46.jpg  
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
I also use the expandable hose ( black/gray water ) and store mine in a separate container.
Same here — standard Zero G type. Not sure the length but it’s always been more than long enough. If a faucet was too far from my tank-flush inlet, I would just skip the flush until the next stop. Not a big deal. But that’s never happened. If you are really worried, buy two Zero G hoses. The weight is negligible.

I’ve never heard of a grey-tank flush, just black.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:56 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistleroo View Post
Needing to keep weight down, i would be content with a black tank flush hose that is adequate 90'% of the time, at tradirional campgrounds.

To answer your last question, the black tank flush is only for that. There's no flush port for the gray tank.

We carry two slinky hoses, one 10' and one 15'. We also have one of the Camco orange water hoses for flushing the black tank, to discern it from the freshwater hose. Our TT doesn't have a flush port, so we use a wand down the toilet with the longer 25' hose.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
DW says I don’t explain things very well. Black/gray water . I guess I should have said I don’t use it for my fresh water fill or city water. Duh— I guess DW is correct!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post

Great! So I purchased two 10 foot sewer hoses for flexibility. In my case, black and grey share same connection.

Is it best to buy one 20 foot sidewinder sewer hose support, thinking maybe it can be used for a single 10 foot sewer hose as well as a 20 foot length?

Or do I need, perhaps on 20 foot support and one 10 foot support? I would think two 10 foot supports would be ideal, except suspect they could not be used together to provide continuous downward slope.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:07 PM   #12

One sidewinder slinky support is fine. You can stretch it from fully compacted (about 18”) to its full length or anywhere in between. Depending on the terrain, portions may be more compacted than others.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:06 PM   #13

We use three solid hoses:
white for potable water - usually 10' one is adequate, but we carry about 40' total
green for black tank flush - one 15'
20' dark green for grey tank drain attached to hose nipple on twist-on sewer cap
Except for perhaps a length of white hose, all are cut lengths from various hoses. Works okay and is a good way to use old or extra garden hose.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:36 PM   #14
SUP

I use a standard 50 ft collapsible hose. If your hooked up at the pedestal, don't forget to put a backflow preventer on the water source before your hose
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 03:42 PM   #15

What length and diameter for black tank flush hose

If you are just looking for the water hose to connect to the black tank Flush fitting, I use a 25Ft collapsable "shrink-a-ble" hose. it is very light weight and stores in a very small place. I only use it for the black water flush valve and keep it separate from all other hoses. It has always been adequate in length for my use.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistleroo View Post

I use last year's water hose as this year's black tank flush hose. Zero G is very light weight. Ours is a 50' hose. According to the interwebs it's 4.3#. Pretty light.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote