Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

what the heck. glacier package. r value bs

what the heck is the R value of the glacier package. I revisit this question earlier going into August and September in Texas
Jayco
says with the glacier package you get r22 roof and r 20 in floors
these numbers just do not add up. it's only at 160 option cost.
huh??? What??what the heck these numbers do not add upJayco gets its bubble wrap insulation from prodex or insulation 4 less.
a shady operation to say the least
but let's do the numbers 400 to 600 and materials alone per jerk at prodex
labor cost at least another 400 to 600
1 Jayco rep said the bubble insulation by itself is r14
huh??? What?
R value from rflectix are any reputable company the R value of bubble insulation is one
foam board by itself is r5
Jayco website says all white Hawks now I have the glacier package standard equipment
no where on the website does it tell you anything about the glacier package r
values
I popped the cap that the power cord goes into to see what was in the wall. Foam board was there nothing else
so somebody tell me how Jacjayco gets these ridiculous r values with a glacier package that only 1 r value
Texascamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #2

The Jayco rep that said the bubble insulation by itself is R14 either is lying through his teeth or doesn't no jack about what he is talking about. The actual R value of reflective bubble insulation is pretty much never over R1.2 for the best quality double bubble (and I seriously doubt Jayco uses the best quality). Reflective bubble insulation is actually a radiant heat barrier and to function as one, it has to have air space on both sides of it. They higher R values often cited are actually assembly R values and are applicable only when the barrier is installed with the specified air space on both sides. When in contact with the roof decking and fiberglass or foam insulation, the reflective insulation is no longer a radiant heat barrier and, other than a minimal R value that doesn't justify its cost, is little more than an over glorified vapor barrier (and not a great one at that if there gaps on the edges). There has been a huge stink raised in the insulation industry over exaggerated and/or inaccurate claims for reflective insulation and the Feds have finally stepped in to clean a lot of that up.

I don't recall Jayco even mentioning R values recently. Instead, they have been touting how low or high their RVs are able to maintain certain temperatures inside when the RV is placed in an artificial environment chamber, figures that I wonder about because Jayco doesn't mention a lot of variables, such is the heat from radiant heat as well as air temperature (which would simulate sun exposure), the length of exposure, etc.