Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 12:09 AM   #1

Which steps for my X213?

I have to get new steps for my trailer. The single step is killing us. I have hyperextended my knee several times and the kids are tripping and getting hurt. There is just way too big of a gap to get to the ground.

What brand do I need to look for? I have a Norco NextGen frame. I found some Lippert steps, and they say designed for Lippert frames...so it kind of seems like steps aren't completely universal?

I need to order ASAP as we have a 10 day trip coming up and I'd like us to come home without any broken legs. My 4 year old already has her legs full of bruises and scrapes from the dang step and step stool we've been trying to work with.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:29 AM   #2

I lifted mine 5 inches and had the same problem with my family struggling on the stairs.
I got a double step off Craigslist made by Stromberg Carlsen
The steps dont mount to the frame, but to the floor, so any steps with the correct distance between mounting points will work. The mounting bolts are under the flooring and I could not see moving them without cutting the flooring. So I just drilled new holes in the stairs to match the existing bolts.
I am thinking of adding some bracing back to the frame as additional support as I am not certain how strong the floor mount actually is.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:08 AM   #3

Take a look at this. Great steps. GlowStep Revolution | scissor steps connect RV to ground level for towables, fifth wheels and side entry campers | Torklift International

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #4

Single step? Jayco can't win with the 213 it seems. My '16 model has two steps, and it's a hassle. The trailer rides so low that the bottom step is only a few inches off the ground, and if you're on even a slight incline and you level the trailer, the bottom step hits the ground. Or if you park next to a normal height curb, you can't flip down the bottom step. It's a pain in the foot to have to step on the upside down step when folded back onto the top one, because of the lip around the edge.

Good luck finding a solution. I'm half tempted to raise my trailer to normal height just to get the steps to work right, hahaha
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
Single step? Jayco can't win with the 213 it seems. My '16 model has two steps, and it's a hassle. The trailer rides so low that the bottom step is only a few inches off the ground, and if you're on even a slight incline and you level the trailer, the bottom step hits the ground. Or if you park next to a normal height curb, you can't flip down the bottom step. It's a pain in the foot to have to step on the upside down step when folded back onto the top one, because of the lip around the edge.

Good luck finding a solution. I'm half tempted to raise my trailer to normal height just to get the steps to work right, hahaha
How are the double steps on your 16 attached to the trailer?
On my 12 there are just 4 bolts through the floor.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #6

Well that sucks Rootus. I'm not sure what to do now. Wonder if that glowstep would alleviate any of those issues?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodandmir View Post
How are the double steps on your 16 attached to the trailer?
On my 12 there are just 4 bolts through the floor.
Four bolts to the frame, two bolts to the floor, and there are two supporting brackets attached to the frame which seems to be separate from the steps but is definitely part of the support structure (two bolts to the frame for each, can only see one bolt in the pictures below).

Pictures make everything better, so ...

Steps closed, as for traveling:

First step open, second step folded on top. Note the footprints .

Second step down, as far as it goes.

In that pic, the trailer is slightly nose down to level it, curb height is normal city curb, 5-6 inches perhaps. Even without being leveled, the curb height is way too high to drop the step all the way. If I park with the door at my driveway, the bottom step will just kiss the concrete approach when I step on it.

How the steps mount to the frame:

How the steps attach to the floor:
Old 07-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
Well that sucks Rootus. I'm not sure what to do now. Wonder if that glowstep would alleviate any of those issues?
Glowstep looks pretty neat, I bet that would solve the problem. Looks like the two-step adjusts automatically to any height between ~18 and ~24 inches? Get that and the add-a-step for times when your nose is really high, and I bet it would work really well. I wonder how easy the add-a-step part is.

My brother-in-law is a welder at Torklift, I think I'll see if I can see some of those in person the next time we're up in Kent for a visit. And maybe get a discount, ha!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #9

How about just a loose step stool step that you place on the ground? They make some nice sturdy ones. That way no mods to the camper and at each site you can decide if it's needed or not based on the conditions.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #10

Something like this

http://www.etrailer.com/RV-Stairs-an...cI2RoCRjLw_wcB

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
How about just a loose step stool step that you place on the ground? They make some nice sturdy ones. That way no mods to the camper and at each site you can decide if it's needed or not based on the conditions.

We've used stools and wooden platforms. I find they are more cumbersome than the step alone. They tend to move and where you once thought it was, it isn't in the same spot the next time. And too many differing heights. One height down to the first step, another to the stool and yet another to the ground. And that 2nd height changes at each camp site. So everyone is stumbling more than just learning what the one big gap is.