Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

White Hawk front fade

I have a 2012 White Hawk 28DSBH. It appears the front top is fading or chalking but when I rub it, it is not, no chalking. Will the recommended RV wax sharpen it up?

You can also see the outline of a couple of the structural members. Any thoughts?

Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

I had the same problem with my White Hawk I talked with the dealer he already talked to Jayco about it they said it is because I didn't wax it with a good paste wax it helped but you could still se the deference. I thanking Jayco would take care of this problem the fronts are huge bill boards.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #3

Well, I bought this used. I will give it a good waxing and see if it helps. Again, it is not chalking, just can tell.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #4

I bought mine used also but they did take care of a few other things and they are to new for this to happen other than that I love layout for a family of 4.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

My dealership has been pretty good so far. I am taking it in tomorrow for them to fix some items discovered a problem on our first outing. I will ask them about the front.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

Does anyone have advice on the type of wax to use on a White Hawk vacuum bonded walls?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #7

I believe you should stay away from anything that contains petroleum distillates. Aerospace 303 is a great product.
josephtsalisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

Resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one. I have a 2013 30DSRE that I bought new in December 2012. The trailer has been great. We are very meticulous about keeping it clean. The inside looks and smells like brand new. I wash the exterior at least several times a year and I've waxed the front cap on several occasions. However, nonetheless, my front cap is looking faded as others have described.

I am still in my warranty period but 1) I am not sure that this would be covered and 2) I am not sure whether it would present brand new risks by having them mess with it.

My main concern is if the front cap were to be replaced would it then be an area of risk for water intrusion or some other "didn't get the new one on there quite right" problem? I would rather have a little cosmetic fade than to introduce structural / integrity concerns.

What options exist, if any, to fix or greatly improve the condition of the cap? After another couple years if it looks really bad can the cap be reconditioned in some way without being removed / replaced?

Outside of this issue my trailer has had very few minor issues. I am happy with how it is holding up and am hoping it makes it to the year 2020 (7 years total) when I might move to a fifth wheel.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

I contacted Jayco and they confirmed that the fade is not covered under the 2 year warranty. I explained that I clean routinely and wax periodically but they still responded to me to wax it. UGH...

So... today, I waxed it again. And, yes it looks pretty good but I also know from experience it won't last very long. I can't imagine waxing every 4 weeks to keep it looking nice. If I have to recondition the cap in the future I am thinking to go solid white like the sides of my RV so that it will absorb virtually none of the heat from the sun. The semi-dark brown seems like a bad idea.

Here are before and after photos of my front cap.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0938.jpg   IMG_0945.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #10

Did you contact Jayco directly or go through your dealer? This is a very common problem and most everyone is getting it covered. I would definitely try and go through the dealer if you didn't. They probably have more "pull".
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
Did you contact Jayco directly or go through your dealer? This is a very common problem and most everyone is getting it covered. I would definitely try and go through the dealer if you didn't. They probably have more "pull".
I contacted Jayco directly.

Considering that, as said earlier, the front of my RV is a giant Jayco billboard, you would think they would really want for it to look as good as possible. It's somewhat sad that I would have to fight for this rather than for them to appreciate that I simply asked them directly without being difficult and while telling them that I was otherwise pretty happy with my RV.

This is the sort of thing that makes you wonder how other manufacturers would handle the same situation if they were contacted directly with the same issue. Would they step up and fix it because it shouldn't be doing this after 18 months? Would they try not to have to deal with it? How well they stand behind their product makes a pretty big difference to me as to what I decide to do in the future.

I am 44 years old and will probably be buying several more RVs in the future. Hmm...
Old 08-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #12

Cool

Newbold1, what brand of wax did you use? Did you use a buffer of any type? My dealer told me to do a light buffing.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglechief_13 View Post
Newbold1, what brand of wax did you use? Did you use a buffer of any type? My dealer told me to do a light buffing.
Previously... I really don't remember. Meguiar's most likely. I seem to have that brand often. This time I happened to have a Turtle Wax Formula 2001 and used it.

Jayco's e-mail to me said to use Meguiar's. Actually, the e-mail said to use Mequire's which made me laugh a little.

I was going to use a rotary buffer but realized I didn't have any of the cloths for it. So, I just used elbow grease this time and will use the buffer next time.

It looks pretty good right now but we'll see how fast it goes right back to that chalky look. I've seen far worse but I always assumed those were RVs that were not being maintained. Mine is maintained so it bugs me for it to look like it might be getting neglected.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #14

It looks good after you waxed it. I am going to tackle mine next weekend.

I am a little behind on maintenance of mine as I bought it used. According to the dealer the previous owner only used it a season and only a couple times then so I think it was left parked and unattended. There were things that needed tending to when I bought it; the dealer took care of some of it but I fixed some other stuff myself.

I have washed ours a couple of times this season already using RV wash/wax; however, I am going to lay on the wax to the front and back (tan parts). I am not sure about using a paste wax on the side due to all the decals that will have to be worked around. Any thoughts about that?
Old 08-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #15

The condition that you are dealing with is oxidation. It occurs as a result of a breakdown in the gelcoat finish on laminated or fiberglass surfaces, allowing pigmentation from the paint to leech up through the gelcoat. This is a natural condition caused by prolonged exposure to the sun over extended periods of time. It will occur to all gelcoat or fiberglass surfaces (boats & RV's) over time & is unavoidable. Once it starts occurring, it can't be reversed, only delayed. If the oxidation is severe enough, the boat or trailer must be cleaned with an acid bath using meruiatic acid. This should only be done by a professional, as a special suit & respirator must be worn to prevent contact with the skin & lungs. The stuff is powerful! Nothing else will remove the oxidized chalk from the surface. Once that is done, application of a high quality polymer (marine products are best & can be picked up at any good boat shop) and will adhere to the surface for 6-8 weeks before reapplication is necessary. A paste wax will only last about 30 days before reapplication is necessary to prevent the chalk from starting to surface again. Hope this helps!

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #16

One more thing....don't use a high speed buffer to apply the wax or polymer as you can burn through the finish with it if you're not careful. If you choose to use a buffer, use a low spped random orbital buffer that you can pick up at most any auto supply store. They work well for applying wax & buffing it out. Plus, you'll be less apt to damage light fixtures, gutters or other protrusions on your trailer from having a high speed buffer bumping into stuff & breaking it right off your unit! Then you'll have something else that needs fixing!

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBYA448 View Post
The condition that you are dealing with is oxidation. It occurs as a result of a breakdown in the gelcoat finish on laminated or fiberglass surfaces, allowing pigmentation from the paint to leech up through the gelcoat. This is a natural condition caused by prolonged exposure to the sun over extended periods of time. It will occur to all gelcoat or fiberglass surfaces (boats & RV's) over time & is unavoidable. Once it starts occurring, it can't be reversed, only delayed. If the oxidation is severe enough, the boat or trailer must be cleaned with an acid bath using meruiatic acid. This should only be done by a professional, as a special suit & respirator must be worn to prevent contact with the skin & lungs. The stuff is powerful! Nothing else will remove the oxidized chalk from the surface. Once that is done, application of a high quality polymer (marine products are best & can be picked up at any good boat shop) and will adhere to the surface for 6-8 weeks before reapplication is necessary. A paste wax will only last about 30 days before reapplication is necessary to prevent the chalk from starting to surface again. Hope this helps!
This is pretty much what I expected.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBYA448 View Post
One more thing....don't use a high speed buffer to apply the wax or polymer as you can burn through the finish with it if you're not careful. If you choose to use a buffer, use a low speed random orbital buffer that you can pick up at most any auto supply store. They work well for applying wax & buffing it out. Plus, you'll be less apt to damage light fixtures, gutters or other protrusions on your trailer from having a high speed buffer bumping into stuff & breaking it right off your unit! Then you'll have something else that needs fixing!
I have a low speed random orbital buffer. But, I need some new pads for it so wasn't able to use it.

In any case, its disappointing to have the oxidization happening in 18 months. Especially considering that I do wash my trailer and I have applied wax. Certainly not on a monthly basis though. I don't know who really has time to was an RV every 30 days. Maybe a full-timer... even then... I doubt anyone is that vigilant about it.

I guess some day I am going to be refinishing the front cap. Hopefully, I can change it from beige to white in order to reduce the amount of heat absorbed from the sun.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglechief_13 View Post
It looks good after you waxed it. I am going to tackle mine next weekend.

I am a little behind on maintenance of mine as I bought it used. According to the dealer the previous owner only used it a season and only a couple times then so I think it was left parked and unattended. There were things that needed tending to when I bought it; the dealer took care of some of it but I fixed some other stuff myself.

I have washed ours a couple of times this season already using RV wash/wax; however, I am going to lay on the wax to the front and back (tan parts). I am not sure about using a paste wax on the side due to all the decals that will have to be worked around. Any thoughts about that?
It likely wouldn't hurt anything but it could be a pain to get it all buffed off. The sides seem not to have as much a problem. I see most are the upper portion of the front cap. I have to think it is probably because of the orientation of that section to the sun overhead and the UV rays plus heat in general just beat the heck out of it. The dark brown rear of my trailer still looks brand new and all I have done there is to wash it once in a while.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
I contacted Jayco directly.

Considering that, as said earlier, the front of my RV is a giant Jayco billboard, you would think they would really want for it to look as good as possible. It's somewhat sad that I would have to fight for this rather than for them to appreciate that I simply asked them directly without being difficult and while telling them that I was otherwise pretty happy with my RV.

This is the sort of thing that makes you wonder how other manufacturers would handle the same situation if they were contacted directly with the same issue. Would they step up and fix it because it shouldn't be doing this after 18 months? Would they try not to have to deal with it? How well they stand behind their product makes a pretty big difference to me as to what I decide to do in the future.

I am 44 years old and will probably be buying several more RVs in the future. Hmm...
No. Other manufacturers wouldn't do squat. I just traded my Cougar. It did the same thing except in about 13 months. Went from dark gray to to almost white. They didn't care. Jayco is the only one I know of that has been reprinting these things. You might try going through the dealer. Many people here have all had it done and I believe they all went through there dealers. Also, don't forget dealers make money from Jayco when they do warranty repairs so they have incentive to convince Jayco to do it. The people at Jayco that answer phones aren't helpful. I have experience there too. I spoke with the VP about 4 years ago. He called me directly. It was my dealer that made it happen because I was pissed.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote