Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

White Hawk insulation values??? What Hitch Lock?

Took our white hawk 27RL out this weekend. Everything worked great except one of my rear supports gets stuck when going down. Question is what is the R value of the ceiling and walls of this thing?? Got up to 99 degrees and the bedroom and bath stayed cool, but the rear living area had a hard time keeping cool. The camper does not come with a digital thermometer (WTH is up with that) so could tell how much AC was keeping up. The salesman told me it was R7 in the walls and floor, and R14 in the ceiling. I am starting to doubt this. I can't find anything from Jayco with the R values. Does anyone know.

Also I am the only one who can't find a hitch lock for their white hawk. I have called Jayco and the dealer(no one could help) and tried about 10 locks on the camper and nothing fits. Called Magnum Trailer and finally found a guy who had a suggestion, the Trimax umax50 universal hitch lock. Going to pick it up today to try. Anyone have any other suggestions??
Texascamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

I haven't come across any reference to insulation values for this model. When it's hot outside you do need all 15K BTUs to keep the interior comfortable.

There are several options available for the receiver but I haven't found any compatible coupler locks. I use a nut & bolt to lock it off when towing.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #3

Funny you should bring the hitch lock up. I was just getting ready to do an internet search for a lock. I have returned two already for my White Hawk. The hitch seems to be very large. If you find one or the Trimax works, please share. As far as temp control goes, we just got back from our first trip out. The temps were in the high 90's. At first it seemed like the trailer would never cool off. It even tripped the breaker. After I reset the breaker, no more problems and the AC cooled things down to the point we had to raise the temp on the thermostat. It stayed pleasent inside the rest of the trip. We did order ours with the upgraded 15,000 BTU AC unit. This may have helped. We have a couple first trip wrinkles. First and most obvious is on another thread I started concerning my popping axles. They seem to have settled down a little, but still frequent. I am calling the dealer tomorrow, before I tow it back. The second I noticed today while cleaning it up. I had the radio on and the outdoor speakers are shorting in and out. I removed the radio and checked connections, but they were all good. I think I may need a new radio.
Equalizer Brand 10,000 lb. WD Hitch
Bamm737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

Eureka!! After two days of searching and buying locks, Finally the Trimax umax50 universal hitch lock did fit. After two days of researching it I can say with confidence that the Trimax is the ONLY lock hitch that will fit a white hawk. What I wonder is why there is no posting about this. What hitch lock are you other white hawk owners using??. Hopefully anyone looking for a hitch lock will find this post and not waste two days of their life like I did.

For Bamm - something to be aware of is these jayhawks come with two refrigerators and an electric water heater. Using the chart below if you have the hot water heater and AC running with the two refrigerators there is basically no amps left for anything. I too on my first trip tripped the breaker twice. Not hard to see why when with the above running I tried to use a toaster and after resetting later on the microwave.

Microwave 12.8 amps
Air Conditioner - 15,000 BTU 12.5 amps
Electric Water Heater – 6 gallon 12.5 amps
Toaster 10 amps
Hair Dryer 10 amps
Electric Frying Pan 10 amps
Electric Coffee Pot 10 amps
TV 2 amps
Crock Pot 1.5 amps
Heating Pad .5 amps
A 3.9 cu ft fridge used 1.4 amps, some others use as much as 11.2 amps
Texascamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #5

Thanks for this post! Like others I tried multiple coupler locks that were supposed to fit into the ball area as well as locks to fit through the top of the coupler. It was so frustrating to not be able to find anything that fit. I finally came across this lock (http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower...e+coupler+lock) and it works fine. I'd hoped to find something that fit into the ball area like the Trimax umax50 you mentioned so it is nice to see that one does actually fit.
SouthernKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #6

I have two locks on my trailer. I figure the more of a pain in the butt it is to steal the better the chance they go somewhere else. I too also bought several coupler locks that didn't fit. Finally found something that would work.

I use this tire lock . Careful, there are two sizes.... you would need the large one.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Club-491-S...ler+tire+locks

and this coupler lock and no it hasn't rusted and its about $8 at wallmart.

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower...pr_product_top

as for keeping the trailer cool I had a fantastic fan 4000 installed and it draws a nice breeze through the trailer to take the edge off. I do wish the trailer came with two vents though..... one vent in a 28ft trailer.... hmmm what was the thinking there.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #7

Doing the same search. Just order a 26SRK; offline date is suppose to be 1st week of September. I will be storing at a RV storage facility and want to make sure I have a lock ready for when I bring her home. Sounds like the Trimax umax50 is tried and true, thanks for that information. I do believe I found another with a similar design. Here is a link to a Atwood Undermount Coupler which shows a picture with the Diversi-Tech DT25013 lock attached. http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coup...ood/82680.html
bbapps is offline   Reply With Quote