Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Dan

White Hawk Question

Hey everybody, I have a quick question regarding my 2015 White Hawk DSBH. Is there a hidden power switch for the refrigerator located in the front storage area? I searched the forum but did not find an answer.

Thanks for your time and help!!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #2

Not exactly sure what you mean when you ask for a power switch. There is a temperature control on the back of the unit. If you're looking to shut it down completely, head for the electrical panel and power it down there.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Dan

ok, thanks. Clearly I'm not sure what I meant either, but you answered my question, lol
Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

I have the small box type fridge in the front. Located behind and on the bottom right corner of the fridge is a temp control knob. When rotating the knob full CCW you can hear a click which turns off the fridge.
jbnimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Dan

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for
Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

I removed the fridge from our White Hawk and hooked it up in the man cave at home. Pretty much worthless in either place, but at least DW and I don't have to listen to it humming at night, as in the 27DSRL the BR is directly above the compartment holding the fridge. The storage room gained by the removal is much better for us than any possible benefits of the fridge.

Cheers,
Greg
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I removed the fridge from our White Hawk and hooked it up in the man cave at home. Pretty much worthless in either place, but at least DW and I don't have to listen to it humming at night, as in the 27DSRL the BR is directly above the compartment holding the fridge. The storage room gained by the removal is much better for us than any possible benefits of the fridge.

Cheers,
Greg
Agree. Poor little fridge can't chill anything because in the basement location no way to dissipate the heat from the fridge in an already warm compartment......especially in summer. Haven't removed it from our 27DSRL yet but look forward to the additional storage space as well. Nice feature Jayco, execution? Not so much...........
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 PM   #8

Ditto, I did the same. Noise kept me awake, plus extra storage more useful than extra fridge. Now on to the removal of the sliding bed room doors!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #9

OK some like and some don't but the small fridge works fine for us. I keep drinks in it for the most part. The model in my 2014 WH has the tstat control on the right side of the top all the way to the rear. I had to enlarge the access hole in order to reach it. Its pretty much a stick your arm in and adjust it by feel. Turn it all the way clockwise I think and it is off. My biggest issue with the mini fridge is getting it set right so it doesn't freeze the soft drinks. Don't turn it to max thinking it will cool faster. Do precool drinks etc in an ice chest and then put cold drinks in the fridge. If you load it up with a bunch of warm cans, it will take all night to cool them down.

If it dies I am undecided if I would replace it or just take advantage of the xtra storage.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #10

I'm a fan of the fridge, too. I've never noticed any noise while sleeping and I'm on the same side of the bed directly above it. Maybe I lucked out by getting a nice, quiet compressor. Quite honestly, if the topic for discussion hadn't come up, I probably never would have given a second thought to any noise factor. It took a little time to find the sweet spot on the thermostat, but getting things cool enough hasn't been a problem, either. I've had beer freeze in it while dialing the temp in. My wife and kids refer to the fridge as "Dad's Medicine Cabinet" since Labatt Blue Light is the only thing allowed in it.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #11

Labatts? If we are ever in the same campground you better keep the Medicine Cabinet locked, i am not above a midnight raid to get a cold one of those! They are nonexistent in this part of the world.
Rlawyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #12

Love my beer fridge! Have it set to keep my beverages nice and cold and have not needed to touch the temp dial in 2 seasons.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #13

While enroute, we use the front refrigerator for storing additional bottles of water. However, before we go to Florida next February, I'm probably going to remove it and use the additional space for storage. Does anyone know if it's hard-wired or just plugged into a normal receptacle outlet?
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #14

Hitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL1967 View Post
Love my beer fridge! Have it set to keep my beverages nice and cold and have not needed to touch the temp dial in 2 seasons.
I'm picking up a new Whitehawk 28DSBH in a few weeks. Wondering what hitch you use? I've got it narrowed down to a few on etrailer.com. Also, do you have a range of tongue weights for yours from empty up to fully loaded at 7500 lbs. thanks for your help.
XwingFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
While enroute, we use the front refrigerator for storing additional bottles of water. However, before we go to Florida next February, I'm probably going to remove it and use the additional space for storage. Does anyone know if it's hard-wired or just plugged into a normal receptacle outlet?
It's just plugged in to a regular outlet. Loved the extra storage space I had after I took ours out. The screws in the rear mounting bracket were a pain in the neck to get to, but a little patience and perseverance paid off.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #16

If I get around to taking it out, I'd likely stow it in the bed of the truck and set it up on the picnic table at my lite. Will probably just leave it alone until it dies and then the ? is whether I replace it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #17

Place me squarely in the camp that likes the Mini-Fridge. I also sleep on that side in our DSRL & cannot remember a time when I heard it running. Yes, the on-off switch is in a bad spot but it is reachable. Comes in handy once in Camp for the Grandkids/Friend's kids, and Adult Beverages without all the in & out into the TT

We get it cold before a trip then keep Breakfast/Lunch and Water in there for the on-road stops.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #18

Pro Pride 3P, love it. '91 Ford Bronco and 2015 White Hawk 27DSRL.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #19

I am of mixed feelings regarding the small fridge. I leave it unplugged. We rarely if ever go to a campground with plug ins. We mostly boondock, and even though we have two generators we still don't run them enough to keep the small fridge running. So if it weren't there, that would be ok. However, since it is there, we do utilize it for storing beverages (beer, water, beer, maybe juice, scotch, and beer). We have managed to keep it cool, by alternating a couple of freezer packs once per day out of the main inside freezer. This method works out well.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #20

We love our little frig and never notice any noise nor does it have any trouble keeping cool in the heat of Louisiana summers. We leave both of frigs on all time so no prolong pre-cooling times.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote