Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

WhiteHawk Black Tank Flush Surprise!

Just finished our second trip in the WhiteHawk. Still working out some of the kinks. The first time out we were at a state park with no sewer hook-up. When we were on our way out we stopped at the dump station to empty the tanks. There was someone waiting to dump after me so I tried to keep it quick. We dumped the tanks, but did not do an extra flush of the black tank. This trip we were at Disney with full hook-ups. When it was time to leave, I had plenty of time to dump the tanks and try out the external black water flush that comes on the WhiteHawk. I first dumped the black tank. I then hooked up the hose to the black water flush. I made sure the black water tank drain valve was open and turned on the hose. I could hear the black water tank flush spraying the inside of the tank. My wife and I were standing there thinking how cool this feature was when I noticed water running out the bottom of the TT. I quickly shut the water off and about that time my son comes out of the camper and says, dad, there's a big puddle in the camper. I ran inside inside to check out the damage and there was a puddle. It was a fair amount, but it was clean water. I pondered what I had done wrong as I was cleaning up the water. I thought maybe the black tank was filling faster than it was draining and overflowed. Then I started to trace the source of the leak. Inside one of the cabinets were the hoses coming in from the city water inlet and the black water flush. I notice water all over this compartment. I asked my wife to go out and turn the water on again and be prepared to shut it off. My suspicions were confirmed. Water came spewing out of the hose inside the cabinet were there was a fitting connector. The manufacturer and the dealer must have not checked out the function of the black water flush. Not very happy with the dealer prep on this. It should have been caught. The nut on the fitting was barely tightened. I tightened it up and tried again. All was well except a wet mess. So I learned for the future, whenever I try out a new system, check all the fittings for leaks before just letting it rip. Thank goodness it was leaking before entering the black tank. I cleaned it up immediately, so I hope there is no permanent damage. I do know it leaked through the floor because it was coming out of the bottom of the camper. Oh well, camping at Disney was still great.
Equalizer Brand 10,000 lb. WD Hitch
Bamm737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #2

HI Bill, Sorry to hear about your problem. One thing I've learned with our new trailer is , pipes come undone during road trips. Our last trip the main u pipe under the kitchen sink came completely undone during our travels to that campsite. The prevous trip it was fine. I was sure glad I noticed it before we did a load of dishes.

My friend told me to always check your pipes because they can losen after a few trips. He was right.

You can never go wrong with Disneyland. Glad you had fun.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 AM   #3

well atleast it was clean water on the bathroom floor. glad you were able to catch the leak before it got too messy.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmaniacs View Post
HI Bill, Sorry to hear about your problem. One thing I've learned with our new trailer is , pipes come undone during road trips. Our last trip the main u pipe under the kitchen sink came completely undone during our travels to that campsite. The prevous trip it was fine. I was sure glad I noticed it before we did a load of dishes.

My friend told me to always check your pipes because they can losen after a few trips. He was right.

You can never go wrong with Disneyland. Glad you had fun.
Good advice. I guess I never suspected it could loosen so fast.
Equalizer Brand 10,000 lb. WD Hitch
Bamm737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

We had our U ring under the kitchen sink leak as well. It didn't come off but my wife noticed when she pulled out the tupperware containers we store under the sink (couldn't have worked out better) and noticed it was full of water. Now, I check those quite regularly. I also had our inverter plug come loose inside the wall during one trip home, so when we got home nothing electrical would work except the A/C and microwave. Luckily, I have a dealer close by that was able to walk me through checking it out. Learning quickly that things jar loose during transit.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #6

I'm showing that my black tank is 3/4 full. I've dumped it a few times already. I have the black tank flush attachment on my White Hawk too. Do I need the water pressure regulator for that? Also, do I keep my black tank drain open? Just want to make sure that I don't have any issues.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsikes View Post
I'm showing that my black tank is 3/4 full. I've dumped it a few times already. I have the black tank flush attachment on my White Hawk too. Do I need the water pressure regulator for that? Also, do I keep my black tank drain open? Just want to make sure that I don't have any issues.
Sounds like you have some debris stuck on the sensor.
Anytime you are using city water you should utilize a pressure regulator. On the black tank flush attachment I do not know. However, you may find an answer on You tube. Search for "the fit RV" channel. They have some really helpful videos, and a small series specifically on black tank cleaning. It opened my eyes and told me a method I had adopted over 15 years ago involving dragging a hose inside my rig and using a high pressure wand down through the toilet works best. It takes a little extra time but my black tank and sensors stay clean.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #8

After having my White Hawk about 18 months I noticed water on the floor near the toilet. Hand tightening of the water line to it took care of the problem.

Replaced the faucet in the bathroom sink, so that is nice and tight, however I check all the water connections from time to time. Travel causes a lot of vibration.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
We had our U ring under the kitchen sink leak as well. It didn't come off but my wife noticed when she pulled out the tupperware containers we store under the sink (couldn't have worked out better) and noticed it was full of water.
We had the same thing happen today, other than I found it because the water was running across the floor from under the cabinet. Another thing to add to my regular maintenance list.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #10

Has anyone noticed a black vacuum breaker type device in the bedroom/Linen closet? I do not have a pic at the moment. I think it is connected inline for the black tank flush line. It leaks something fierce when I attach a water (it is on a pressure reducer) hose to it and turn it on.
Any ideas?
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsikes View Post
Has anyone noticed a black vacuum breaker type device in the bedroom/Linen closet? I do not have a pic at the moment. I think it is connected inline for the black tank flush line. It leaks something fierce when I attach a water (it is on a pressure reducer) hose to it and turn it on.
Any ideas?
That is probably a back flow preventer.

Whatever it is, it shouldn't leak.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
That is probably a back flow preventer.

Whatever it is, it shouldn't leak.
No, it shouldn't leak, but many do. It seems to be a somewhat common problem, unfortunately.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote