Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #1

Winterization question

I am considering using compressed air to purge the water from my 23RL Jayfeather this year. I’ve completely drained the system using the low point drains. If I blow the compressed air in using the city water inlet will this be sufficient? All the faucets, water heater And low point drains are open.
Fyouberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #2

Yes but do it this way. Close everything and start your compressor with one tap open at 30 to 40 lbs. pressure. When it stops spitting open a different one. Then go back again through the process. Then open the low point drains one at a time and purge them.

I then pump pink rv through in case I missed anything and blow it out also.

A lot of people don't but it only takes a little while longer and I blew out an outside shower once and once was enough.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Yes but do it this way. Close everything and start your compressor with one tap open at 30 to 40 lbs. pressure. When it stops spitting open a different one. Then go back again through the process. Then open the low point drains one at a time and purge them.

A lot of people don't but it only takes a little while longer and I blew out an outside shower once and once was enough.
Possibly dumb question, but I set my compressor psi at about 40 before opening the faucet. It then drops down quite a bit. Do you set the psi to 30-40 when it is actually blowing the air through?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #4

I have a 6 gallon model, not sure of the horsepower, that provides enough flow. I turn on the tap full and as the water flow in the form of spitting or mist slows I close the tap a little.

If yours doesn't have the capacity then just shut off the tap completely until the compressor fills the air tank up and go to the next tap. Watch out if yours is small that you don't overheat it and damage the pump.
Hey, this could be the reason you can invest in a better air compressor!

Old 09-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
I have a 6 gallon model, not sure of the horsepower, that provides enough flow. I turn on the tap full and as the water flow in the form of spitting or mist slows I close the tap a little.

If yours doesn't have the capacity then just shut off the tap completely until the compressor fills the air tank up and go to the next tap. Watch out if yours is small that you don't overheat it and damage the pump.
Hey, this could be the reason you can invest in a better air compressor!
I have a 5-gallon Craftsman — plenty of flow. I just worry about too much pressure. Thanks!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #6

Mine has two gauges, the tank pressure and the outflow pressure regulator. If your does have a knob then turn it with nothing connected till it shows 30 PSI when the tank shows full (mine is 140 full).

Various tools use different pressure so most likely anything other than one made for tire filling should have an adjustable pressure output.
Landscapers blow out watering systems with pumps run by 4 cylinder diesel engines. If they didn't regulate the pressure they would blow out the system.

Old 09-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Mine has two gauges, the tank pressure and the outflow pressure regulator. If your does have a knob then turn it with nothing connected till it shows 30 PSI when the tank shows full (mine is 140 full).

Various tools use different pressure so most likely anything other than one made for tire filling should have an adjustable pressure output.
Landscapers blow out watering systems with pumps run by 4 cylinder diesel engines. If they didn't regulate the pressure they would blow out the system.
Mine’s the same. I start with 40 but when you open the faucet, the pressure drops.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:

This. It takes a bit longer and is a bit more effort, but it's a belt-and-suspenders approach. Around here winter temps regularly get to -30* for weeks at a time, so knowing that my trailer is winterized properly saves a load of hassle in the spring.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:53 AM   #9

I've been blowing mine out for years. No antifreeze except the traps in the drains and the toilet. I leave all the faucets open when finished. It gets very could here also, no problems. They did a demonstration on this old house that shows it's not the freezing that bursts pipes, it's the pressure that freezing causes. Look it up its worth the watch. The first time I did it I didn't lower the pressure and ran 80#.I think I was lucky there. It held and did fine but these systems are only meant to hold around 50. I used a brass fitting that connects to the hose connection that has a compressor quick connect.
GuanoJuano is offline   Reply With Quote