Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2022, 07:17 AM   #1

x17z with WDH low clearance

I just set up my WDH on my colorado for my x17z. In order to get the correct ball height according to instructions, the bars are only about 2" above the roadway. Is this normal?

I dont see how else I can increase the distance without raising the ball height above what the instructions say (3/4" to 1" above level trailer hitch). With this "correct" setup I can only hook the bars to the second to last chain link and there is no way to physically raise it higher.
reno1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:47 AM   #2

Two inches above the roadway does not sound like sufficient clearance. But I wouldn't suggest doing anything different after following instructions.

Contact the manufacturer (including pictures) and see if they can recommend something. Also, a local tow shop is often the best source of information.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:53 AM   #3

It sounds like you are using a round bar setup instead of straight trunnion bars. Can you attach a photo?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:13 PM   #4

I am using a round bar setup. The trailer is currently at my parents but I can get a picture hopefully by tomorrow. When I set it all up i had less than a half inch increase in front wheel well height so i feel like it should be set up properly.

I should note it is a 2014 x17z which seem to have a lower overall clearance than newer models.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #5

Both of my hybrids were pretty low, the '03 Kiwi 17z was really low. Both hitches I had were trunnion bar and had no issues with clearance. A round bar hitch would have been too close to the ground. Do a Google search on round bar vs. trunnion bar and you'll see the difference.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:07 PM   #6

As I have been doing research i have come across the round vs trunnion issue with clearance. I am going to take a picture tomorrow as its raining here today.

For reference, my TV can tow 7200# and my trailer is 3500#. technically, I wouldnt really need a WDH especially for short trips, but I do want one regardless. This one just happened to come with the trailer from the previous owner which is why i was using this type.

I was looking at the Eaz-Lift 48782 ReCurve R3 as a replacement as its not too expensive and utilizes round bars ABOVE as opposed to below. I was also looking at the CURT 17500 TruTrack.

Any other recommendations?
Old 07-25-2022, 02:24 PM   #7

Give Etrailer a call. They will be able to make a recommendation for you. Etrailer is excellent, great customer service and crazy knowledgeable about all things towing, and then some.

You can then sell your existing hitch on the FB Marketplace.

I was using a Fastway E2, which Etrailer recommended. Loved that hitch. No chains and super easy to hook up and disconnect.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:58 PM   #8

Anderson might be an alternative?
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:14 AM   #9

i think im going to switch to the fastway e2 as it should provide enough clearance and its price point to functionality matches my budget
Old 07-28-2022, 05:04 PM   #10

I have a round bar setup on my 2013 WK2 Jeep GC. How much ball tilt was on the head when attached to the drawbar? How many holes in the drawbar? Sounds as though either the head on your WDH is tilted back too far (which puts the ends of torsion bars too low on chain end) or the head needs to be higher on the 90° drawbar. How high is the top of the ball when installed in receiver and how high is top of coupler? I had to go off the direction slightly on mine to make it work out. It is perfect now.
Charles
Charles in WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno1051 View Post
i think im going to switch to the fastway e2 as it should provide enough clearance and its price point to functionality matches my budget
I've used the e2 for four years and have been very happy with it.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #12

I'll agree with the E2 unit as well. Does sound like you have to change the ball angle on the unit to get a little more clearance. I had to change my setup a couple of times with the E2 until I found the right combination, but it's fairly easy to do. Just remember to try and do the setup with the trailer fully loaded to get the best results.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #13

I ended up going with the Fastway E2 and had no issues with underclearance. We took it out this past weekend and everything went well! Thanks for all the help!