Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #1

X213 Roof Maintenance

Hello,

We recently purchased a 2010 X213 as our first travel trailer stepping up from a popup camper. The previous owner had let it sit for quite some time. We spent a weekend scrubbing everything down from top to bottom and the trailer is now looking great.

When we were cleaning, I was on a ladder checking out the roof. I noticed that it had a soft rubber like membrane covering the roof. I did not do much cleaning of the roof not knowing how durable the material is. I also noticed that there is some caulking on the front of the trailer at the roof that looks like it kind of seals the surface.

Can someone please advise me on what kind of maintenance I need to do on the roof of this camper. We just spent 3 days in it with one of the days being rainy and windy. There was no leaking so the roof appears to be in good shape other than being dirty.

Regards
RoughingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

One more question, can you walk on the roof of these things?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #3

We have had a 2010 213 since new in 2010. It is stored in the driveway for the winter. Where we live in the mountains we have lots of heavy snowfall events mixed in with chinooks and high winds. I go up onto the roof every fall and spring when I put on and take off an A/C cover (keeps out the blowing snow). I take a tube of lap sealant with me and inspect all the caulking for cracks and fill any that I find. We have never to this point, knock on wood, had any leaks. A couple of years ago I noticed the sealant around the line of screws along the back of the slide roof membrane was deteriorating so I cleaned the area and added a strip of eternabond across the back of the slide membrane. We have been through some pretty ferocious downpours on the coast and have stayed dry.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #4

yes you can walk on the main roof. The roof of the slideouts, I would not, but I have never heard of anyone commenting if you can or cannot. The membrane is very thin, and can be nicked fairly easily. I did the first time I was up there. Now I put my stabilizers down, wrap my extension ladder where it touches the HTT. Make sure my shoes are clean (no rocks or the like) remove any items from my pockets, such as keys that could damage the membrane. Then, I go up there with my bucket of soapy water, carwash brush, and the garden hose. I wash it down good twice a year. At the same time I inspect all the caulk. If I see cracks I touch them up. Water will get in, if there is a crack in the caulking. I would do an initial inspection as you never know if the former owner did. I found my first cracks in the caulking this past fall. Also inspect the walls, the light assemblies for water intrusion.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #5

That is great info, thanks so much. Is there a specific caulking product that is recommended?
Old 10-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #6

On the roof use only Dicor self-levelling sealant. Or for an upgrade use Eternabond tape over deteriorated seams. I keep a roll on hand just in case I ever get a tear in the roof from a branch or similar object.

Camco and others make cleaners specifically for rubber/EPDM roofs. They do a great job of removing the grime. Only wear soft soled shoes on the roof, but it can handle the weight without problem.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #7

The roof is everything, keep a eye n maintain it like it was ur kid.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #8

I walk on my x213 roof with socks or sneakers. I used the camco cleaning/protectant roof system. So far so good, but it will streak the sides of the wall from overspill. I just washed the walls before it dried and no problem.
Roadhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #9

I covered all the self leveling goop on my roof with Etarnabond, and replaced the fake eternabond at the back of the slide with the real stuff as it was peeling off.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote