Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #1

Question X213 Slide Reliability

Hey guys,

DW and I like the layout of the X213 over everything else I’d feel comfortable pulling with my truck. No canvas, short, etc. we are really hung up on that MASSIVE slide and whether or not it’s prone to failing.

Have any of you been stuck? Is there a easy way to manually retract it? Leaks, etc.?

Thanks!

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:24 PM   #2

As I write this, I’m laying down on the slide with my DW snoring away. We have a 2013 X213, got it used and in its second season.
It works for us for now.
Quirks: getting in and out of bed is a manageable challenge. It not like you can just roll out of bed.
The x213 is very front heavy, tongue weight scaled at 730lbs. No cargo with one full propane tank, the other was empty, and battery, on this year the spare is also on the front under the propane tanks. We tow with 2015 F150 SCRW 5.0.
Our kids have jumped up and down the slide section. No failure that I have noticed.
Manual crank is provided but not long enough. You have to crawl underneath the slide, locate the gear box, you may need to bring a light, engage the crank driver. It will take effort. Once the slide clears you can straighten out your back and finish the job more comfortably. To pull it back in, finding the box is easier, but you have to contend with the slide moving over top of you. Alternative is to use a batt drill (not impact) to speed it up. But all this is incase the main drive fails for what ever reason usually due to a dead/dying battery.

Hope this helps a bit.

LeMoeCND
X213 2013
LeMoeCND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #3

Forgot to mention. Level TT with a slight slope to the back. It has been noticed that water collecting at the top of the slide will eventually bypass the seal if it slopes towards the front.

LeMoeCND
LeMoeCND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:01 AM   #4

Thanks for the tip ! If I end up w/ this trailer I'll keep that in mind.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #5

I really looked hard at X213s in 2008 when I ready for some hard sides camping. These can be towed with the F150 truck and was just perfect size wise for the two of us...

I even went as far as designing a change for the storage area and bunk beds... I am into Ham radio and Office Computers etc...

Roy's image

However in 2009 the X213 had a bunch of problems with their slide motor and the large door weather seal... It also would get out of alignment and would tear upholstery on the seating inside the trailer when moving the large slide out...

We finally decided on our 2008 StarCraft RT14 POPUP trailer which we still have...

I think their 2010 model solved all of those problems mentioned above... I still turn my head when we see one haha....

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide out, x213