Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #1

x23b fiberglass

I have a 2014 x23b the fiberglass on the sides and rear of the camper looks new and shiny. The fiberglass on the front of the camper is very dull and rough and the fiberglass hairs are very visible. I would say within a couple more years that the glass will be exposed. This camper has been used very little. I have owned three Jaycos and this will probably be my last because I have had several quality issues with this unit. Has any one else had this fiberglass issue on a late model Jayco. THANKS FOR YOUR IMPUT
jayco man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #2

We have a 2012, and all the sides still look good.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 AM   #3

Same with our 2014. We have kept it waxed and covered during the winter.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #4

Mine looked a little crummy this spring. I threw some wax on it and it looked good again. But like you the sides and back of my X213 look brand new - the front looks like it's been through hell. 2015 model here. I'll have to keep the wax up on it. These campers are literally made of cardboard and glue.
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 AM   #5

Jayco said that they have never seen this problem before and that it was caused by the angle of the front of the camper in relation to the sun. Also the vinyl on the table cushion are dry rotted. The vinyl is peeling off the fabric. They also said that they have never seen this problem either. The LED lights under the awning are going dim and some do not work. This camper has been used 2 to 3 times per year and no more than a week at 1 time. I told Jayco that this is my last Jayco because they would not stand behind their product and that their quality is not what it was in the past. This was my 3rd Jayco. Sorry for the late response
Old 08-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #6

The fiberglass front cap looks the same on my White Hawk. I'm trying to get Jayco to replace it, but I'm thinking they won't. I can find many reports of the same thing happening on other trailers fiberglass.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Jayco said that ours was out of warranty (2014 model). They also said that they have had no complaints of this nature. The cushion in my 2014 ultra lite are dry rotted and the vinyl is peeling off like a sunburn. They will do nothing about this either. This is my third and last Jayco If I am going to get cheap quality I just as well buy a cheaper camper next time.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #8

Just doesn't seem right when these units are so new to develop problems like this.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco man View Post
Jayco said that ours was out of warranty (2014 model). They also said that they have had no complaints of this nature. The cushion in my 2014 ultra lite are dry rotted and the vinyl is peeling off like a sunburn. They will do nothing about this either. This is my third and last Jayco If I am going to get cheap quality I just as well buy a cheaper camper next time.
It's not going to change your mind, but JAYCO doesn't make the fiberglass/Filon panels and as you admit it is out of warranty.

No different than the $200 I just spent for an oil sending unit on a 2015 Duramax since I was 600 miles over the 36,000 mile coverage. It was out of warranty
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
.... why i still prefer the good ole aluminum on top of wood. I have owned both, and the aluminum is sure alot easier to maintain, clean, wax. Just please don't hail!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #11

I was told by the Jayco dealer that they do make their own fiberglass panels because they had problems with delamination issues in the past when they where provided by a vendor. I do think that you should expect more than 3 or 4 years life out of the fiberglass and that the cushions should not dry rot.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

I'm hoping ours doesn't get any worse (actually feeling the fibers). If it does, what do think would be better. Getting the front painted, or get it wrapped like they do to cars and trucks?

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #13

I would contact Jayco, because they do not believe a problem exist. The gel coat is the problem. You could have it clear coated but I am not sure how long it would last and it would probably be expensive. The decals would need to be replaced also. My Jayco dealer said to not wax the decals because it would ruin them. I am just going to wax the front of my 2014 x23b and if it seems to be getting worse then I will get rid of it before it is so bad that the value is hurt. I am taking 3 cushions to have them covered because the vinyl is dry rotted, the vinyl is peeling off the fabric like a sun burn.