Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

X23B - New Owner; Mystery Questions

We've been out twice with our new 23B. We love it!

Got a few questions. Hope you can hang in with me here.

Filled up the fresh water at home for first trip, including the hot water tank. Gauge said tank was full. Overflow showed it was full. But we ran out after about 30 hours and not really much use. When we emptied the waste tanks, we put fresh water through the system, then I opened the low point drain valve.

Flash forward two weeks to second trip. I left the fresh water empty this time until we got to the CG. When we were filling the tank, I went in to open a hot water faucet, and there was standing water in the toilet and it had splashed around the bathroom floor.

On the second trip, the fresh water tank seemed to take much more water, and we didn't come close to using it all.

So - two questions:

1. Why was there water in the toilet at the start of the second trip after I had emptied the black and gray tanks and emptied the fresh water from the tank?

2. Why did the fresh water run out so fast the first trip, even though I had topped it off?

Great resources on this Board! Thanks for any help you can give me to solve the mysteries.
RBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #2

As for the toilet, the last time you flush it make sure the water pump is off before you do. That way you remove any residual pressure lect in the water line to the toilet. (i am suspecting that you are saying that the water was clean.

Why you ran out so fast... Did you take longer showers, or wash a lot of dishes? A lot of people will use a small dish tub to cut down on water use while doing the dishes.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #3

How much water was in the toilet? There should always be about a cup of water in the toilet at all times.

Just a stab in the dark, but did you use the at all. A few weeks ago my sister in law came out for a few days and I showed her how to use the shower. I showered a bit later and I noticed she never turned the water off, she had only used the switch on the shower head to turn the water off. Perhaps you did something like that?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #4

- Water in the toilet was clean. Pretty sure I had already turned off the pump.
- First time out - didn't really try to be careful, but didn't overuse. Only one shower. Second time out - tried to be careful at first, but when we saw we were still loaded with water, we used it - two showers, toilet use, some sink use. Barely made a dent in the fresh water tank.
- No switch on showerhead - just a faucet on the half wall on the side of the sink with a diverter.
- So the norm is to have water in the toilet itself down the road? I understood the blank tank should have a couple gallons, but I didn't know the toilet need to have some in it. Will I get the sloshing around every time?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #5

Before pulling/traveling, I turn off the electric pump, then flush when there is not water pressure. Then when you flush no more water will come out, it will just flush.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBenson View Post
-
- So the norm is to have water in the toilet itself down the road? I understood the blank tank should have a couple gallons, but I didn't know the toilet need to have some in it. Will I get the sloshing around every time?
The idea is to leave a half inch or so of water in the toilet; the idea is to keep the toilet valve gasket wet so it will not deteriorate. Even in the winter when I have freeze proofed the trailer and do not intend to use it for a while, I put a half inch or so of RV antifreeze in the bottom of the toilet.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Site Team

It is possible some of the water siphoned out of the overflow tubes when traveling. This has been reported in the past by several members.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...t=losing+water

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...t=losing+water
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #8

Thanks for all the advice. This time I tanked up when we got to the park, and it was fine. I think the low fresh water on our first outing was siphoning. I guess I'll have to take it out more so I can get used to all of it. Yeah - that's my story and I'm sticking with it.