Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #21

IMHO, Jayco would only step up and support a rally if there was outcry from their retail customers. Quite frankly, I was very disappointed with the Amana Rally (except for meeting our fellow Precept owners). The company that organized the event doesn't appear to have much a relationship with Jayco (and visa versa) and admitted that this is really not their (revenue) priority. If something grand were to occur, it would, again, in my humble opinion, be outside of their involvement.

Perhaps we should all step up and communicate directly to Jayco of our interest in a better show!
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #22

To me it sounds like a camp-out or get together by some Jayco owners put on by the Jayco Travel Club which is totally different from what RV manufactures put on.

I would travel from the West coast to Middlebury if Jayco would put on such an event for their owners.

We have friends that own a Grand Design who have been in Indiana for almost a week and are raving of how nice an event it is.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
IMHO, Jayco would only step up and support a rally if there was outcry from their retail customers. The company that organized the event doesn't appear to have much a relationship with Jayco (and visa versa) and admitted that this is really not their (revenue) priority.

Perhaps we should all step up and communicate directly to Jayco of our interest in a better show!
The owner(s) have a very close relationship with the Bontragers and others at Jayco. The husband passed away 2010 and he was very deeply involved with the RV industry.

I can tell you that there is a lot of discussion going on by dealers, sales people and others with JAYCO they just don't see the club as their main market base. They too look at the Rally numbers. When only 100-150 units show up out of 45,000 sold (this year) would you consider the Rally a high priority marketing tool?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #24

Can we say 'public relations'?

Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 08-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The owner(s) have a very close relationship with the Bontragers and others at Jayco. The husband passed away 2010 and he was very deeply involved with the RV industry.

I can tell you that there is a lot of discussion going on by dealers, sales people and others with JAYCO they just don't see the club as their main market base. They too look at the Rally numbers. When only 100-150 units show up out of 45,000 sold (this year) would you consider the Rally a high priority marketing tool?
Yes, it sounded like things changed when the husband passed away and now his wife has medical issues.

Acknowledging that I am a newbie to all this and know very little of the history, but with a marketing background, it seems to me that there is a huge opportunity (including the PR benefit) to organize a more diversified rally with factory support and it should be in Middlebury.

Done right, IMHO, there could be hundreds of attendees who will tell hundreds more about the (positive) experience and attendance (and new & repeat sales) will benefit year after year from the effort.

But, and its a big but, Jayco would need to be interested and an active group of owners would need to support their effort if so. Then of course, there is the timing of the event and people's summer plans, work, kids, school, etc etc etc.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #26

Appreciate the clarifications & history Grumpy.
No soapbox...just good facts.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #27

Grumpy,

I'm sure Jayco does not look at the Travel Club to promote.

That's not what I'm saying however rather having Jayco the Company doing a Rally at the factory in Middleburg for ALL owners not just the Travel Club and their members.

View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 08-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #28

Seems to be a real catch 22, the people don't show because the rally isn't much more than a bunch of good friends bonding, and the company support isn't there because the numbers aren't there in attendance. Maybe Jayco needs that Field of Dreams moment; If you build it they will come.
My camping neighbor always goes to the Frog meet-ups and talks about the Tech's going around doing repairs on the spot. He's been impressed by the Jayco quality and has done a factory tour, but he really likes the after purchase support from the Frog meet-ups.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #29

I think if they did have it, more people would come. As is the case with Frog. It's done got real big over the last few years. I like the camping with friends and bonding thing on occasion, but we go to shows and stuff to research vendors and all kinds of stuff. That's my thing, and my wife gets into it as well. So, combine the two, and I'd be there. Meet with all the other Jayco owners, see the vendors, get upgrades, maybe fix a few things. People would come.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thodgson View Post
Seems to be a real catch 22, the people don't show because the rally isn't much more than a bunch of good friends bonding, and the company support isn't there because the numbers aren't there in attendance. Maybe Jayco needs that Field of Dreams moment; If you build it they will come.
My camping neighbor always goes to the Frog meet-ups and talks about the Tech's going around doing repairs on the spot. He's been impressed by the Jayco quality and has done a factory tour, but he really likes the after purchase support from the Frog meet-ups.
I would love to see it return myself and I know a lot of other members, both Jayco and Starcraft would as well. And yes it is a catch 22 since the numbers started to dwindle long before Jayco and or Starcraft pulled their financial support. IIRC last years Rally in Elkhart only drew 150.

I think everyone who is really interested should fire off a letter to Derald Bontrager and suggest that they at least try something similar to what FROG does for all their divisions, Jayco, Entegra, Starcraft and Highland Ridge, can't hurt. If there appears to be enough interest they might give it a try.

I would also mention the fact that you are are a JOF member and it currently has 19,000 members (albeit not all are active) and a Factory Rally has been an active discussion.

Derald Bontrager, CEO
Jayco Inc.
903 S. Main Street
Middlebury, IN 46540
Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 AM   #31

Georgia Good Sam's is having their State Rally in another week. There will be probably close to 600 rigs there. Lots of bonding going on and Camping World is the big supporter. Not sure how many Jayco owners will be there, at least members of this forum. I always see quite a few Jayco's there, but not members of the owner's Forum. This is a somewhat localized event so pretty well attended by those in a 4 state area. Lots of seminars and things to do. Florida is having the Good Sam State Rally in Tallahassee at the Fairgrounds in February. This will be the first time they have had a large area to hold their Samboree under one roof. They are expecting a big attendance. I know a lot of Georgia folks will be there. It is a long way for us folks in the SE to travel to the northern most part of Indiana for a Jayco International Rally. And for no more than has been going on there, we get a lot more out of our Good Sam Rally's. Just saying. I would love to go on the Jayco Factory Tour and if they set up something in the way of a rally, maybe more folks would be willing to travel that extra distance.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote